Ok, So I got to see a Longbow for the first time in 16 years. So now I just need to model this bad boy. At first I wanted to model the helo I got to see, but it's so "naked" compaired to in the field longbows.

Looking around I found some painted in grey camo. One was over all light grey and two were light grey and all top surfaces were painted dark grey. How many are painted grey and why? Is this the future camo of the AH-64D? Where can I find more photos of them?

Also the does Fire Contral Radar come off & on or is that a fixed item?

I picked up a Hasegawa "AH-64D" kit and some Eduard photoetched parts and mask. Am I pretty much set?

I swear Two Bobs made decals... but all I can find are the iron city apaches. Does anybody make decals for the grey longbows? The Hasegawa decals are kinda thick.

Before you throw a "use the search feature" at me... I did and I think the search feature might be run by the devil.

Thanks again.

Edited by Midnight Storm

To the best of my knowledge, the only gray Apaches were the ones from South Carolina NG and I think they were Alpha models, not Longbows.

U.S. Longbows are all painted CARC green (called U.S. Army Helo Drab by Model Master). From what I understand, only the Acrylics color is actually correct. The enamels version is off for some reason or the other.

I think the "fire control radar" does come off. I have a friend that works on Apaches at Ft. Rucker and I swear that he told me that some longbows don't carry them. I may be wrong on this, but I think that's what he said.

Isracast also made decals for the SC NG Apaches, but again, they were Alpha models, but I think it would make a cool what-if if you made a gray Longbow.

The Hasegawa kit is awesome. I'm building one right now, as a matter of fact.

If you wanted to, you could use the Aires Longbow pit. I am, but the kit pit is very nice on its own. It is a personal decision to use the Aires one.

Hope this helps.

There are several other people on here who know the Longbow inside and out....literally.

Jon (CobraHistorian) hasn't been around in a while, but Brock (TurbineSurgeon) is on frequently. You can PM those guys with any questions you may have. They will definitely be able to answer them.

JED

Edited by B-1 Nut

I agree search engine is the devil LOL. I am not sure if you tried or not, searching with the wild card does help some.

" AH-64D* "

* is the wild card.

This link has a few pictures of the grey AH-64A.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....&hl=AH-64D*

This is what showed up using the wild card.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....lite=%2BAH-64D*

Edited by Wayne S

JED is right on. Alphas from SC were grey/grey.

The Delta is able to go with or without the radar mounted. It seems from pics and walkaround books that the common fit in the sandbox is without since it isn't really used over there. There is a little "cap" where the radar mounts, when it isn't installed.

Don't forget the common visual ID method is the placement of the air sensor. On top of the rotor on the Alphas, and on the engine nacelles on the Deltas.

Two Bobs has only done decals for A models. There may be plans for decals for D models somewhere in the works

The radar on the D does come off, it's of little use in both Iraq and Afganistan and have been removed to reduce weight. Not all D's had the radar installed, a migority had receivers installed to get data from the radar equipted D's in order to fire on target that D acquired. Ratio was like 1 to 3 or 4

Two Bobs has only done decals for A models. There may be plans for decals for D models somewhere in the works

The radar on the D does come off, it's of little use in both Iraq and Afganistan and have been removed to reduce weight. Not all D's had the radar installed, a migority had receivers installed to get data from the radar equipted D's in order to fire on target that D acquired. Ratio was like 1 to 3 or 4

I know this is not so much in with what the topic is about but figured others might know and good time to ask.

AH-64As were converted to the D? Did these converted A/C get the Dome or did only new builds get it?

Or maybe was there a time line for them to get it?

I know this is not so much in with what the topic is about but figured others might know and good time to ask.

AH-64As were converted to the D? Did these converted A/C get the Dome or did only new builds get it?

Or maybe was there a time line for them to get it?

All airworthy A model airframes will go back to the factory and be rebuilt as D models, not sure if any new D models will be made or not for US service, new builds are going to foreign customers

Edited by grandadjohn
Dang, I have a D model. I didn't know there were any A models still out there.

Are there any good D model paint schemes? Something special out there?

Thanks for your help. I might pick up an A model just to build a grey one too.

Still some A models in service mainly in NG units, all US D models will be painted in Helo Drab. For more colorful paint jobs, check foreign birds, I know Japan has some camo ones

Edited by grandadjohn
All airworthy A model airframes will go back to the factory and be rebuilt as D models, not sure if any new D models will be made or not for US service, new builds are going to foreign customers

Guess I thought the As were being converted to Ds but only new models got the Dome.

I have not brought myself up-to par with them for a few years.

I thought there was a few in the Kosovo war and they were new build Longbow's. I guess I thought there was two designations, AH-64D Longbow had the Dome and then just AH-64D with out the dome.

Are all AH-64D's getting the Dome from the factory, or are the domes a separate kit that is fielded by the units. I am guessing all AH-64Ds can except the dome now, before I thought that wasn't the case.

Guess I thought the As were being converted to Ds but only new models got the Dome.

I have not brought myself up-to par with them for a few years.

I thought there was a few in the Kosovo war and they were new build Longbow's. I guess I thought there was two designations, AH-64D Longbow had the Dome and then just AH-64D with out the dome.

Are all AH-64D's getting the Dome from the factory, or are the domes a separate kit that is fielded by the units. I am guessing all AH-64Ds can except the dome now, before I thought that wasn't the case.

I'm not an expert but I believe that there were some new-build D models in the beginning, after that, it was all A models converted. They can take the dome (mast mounted fire control radar) or install it as needed for the mission but since there are no enemy tanks in Afghanistan / Iraq and the Apache is a bit underpowered in hot / high conditions, most if not all of the US units leave them off. I believe the Brits keep them installed over there.

John

By the way, Hasegawa's 1/48 Alpha model Apache O.I.F gives you the option of building it either as a National Guard grey camo or the regular one. All decals are great...

I just picked up a kit with the grey camo apache on the cover and says Iraqi Freedom on it. I think it was #09772. Is this the kit you were talking about?

Ok guys I have been watching all the replys on the FCR on top of the longbow, all D model Apaches are longbows and any longbow will accept the FCR on top. The longbows that carry the FCR have 701C engines installed and longbows without the FCR has the 701 engines installed. The 701C has more power to help with extra weight load of the FCR. Grandadjohn has it right with the 1 to 3 ratio from the factory of FCR's installed on longbows.

Brock

I'm not an expert but I believe that there were some new-build D models in the beginning, after that, it was all A models converted. They can take the dome (mast mounted fire control radar) or install it as needed for the mission but since there are no enemy tanks in Afghanistan / Iraq and the Apache is a bit underpowered in hot / high conditions, most if not all of the US units leave them off. I believe the Brits keep them installed over there.

John

Not only do our Apaches have the Longbow installed in Afghanistan, but the crews swear by it in day to day use. It's turned out to be far more useful than just "tank spotting", and is invaluable for situational awareness. There seems to be a lot of differences in British Apache use compared to others. Our Apaches are operated as a two-pilot set up, there is no CP/G position in the Army Air Corps. This means that the aircraft is flown from either seat depending on the situation (still normally the rear seat to be honest, but can be either), and you can have the mission commander sat in front, with the aircraft captain sat in the rear quiet often. Books such as "Apache" "Apache Dawn" and "Hellfire" are well worth seeking out for riveting reads on UK Apache ops in Afghanistan, and for an insight into the unique manner of the AAC's Apache use.