1/48 Mirage IIICJ

Both kits are really good. My advice :

If you want to build just a single aircraft, Get the Eduard and if you want to do more than that & for conversion projects, get the HB one since it's more cheaper.Bytheway, Eduard also offered the Weekend edition kit, which is a stripped version without fancy decal & photo etched.

IMHO, since both kits are very good in accuracy & fitting,the simplest solution is to get the kit which is easy to find in your area.In my case, HB.

Eduard standard kit review

Eduard Weekend edition kit

HB Mirage review

some discussion in ARC

Did you do a search? I don't know the specifics of the CopyBoss kit, but it is a copy, and a poor one.

The Eduard kt is a handful, but I'd have to go with that one, and you can get the weekend addition for around $20.00.

Curt

Did you do a search? I don't know the specifics of the CopyBoss kit, but it is a copy, and a poor one.

The Eduard kt is a handful, but I'd have to go with that one, and you can get the weekend addition for around $20.00.

Curt

Yes, HB kit was a copy of Eduard kit. But it's not that poor like Zhengdefu's copy of Academy 1/48 Su-27.I got both kits in hand and they are very very similar.And the HB still can produced a nice & accurate model without much work.

and let these built speak for itself

HB Mirage assembled

Eduard kit assembled

Edited by musangpulut
Yes, HB kit was a copy of Eduard kit. But it's not that poor like Zhengdefu's copy of Academy 1/48 Su-27.I got both kits in hand and they are very very similar.And the HB still can produced a nice & accurate model without much work.

and let these built speak for itself

HB Mirage assembled

Eduard kit assembled

I'm working in this two kits right now. I'm using the Profipack kit and the Hobbyboss IIICJ. The Hobbyboss have better fit and details. You can see the project in

http://www.plastimodelismo.org/bbs/viewtop...f=20&t=2463

It's in portuguese, but the pictures tells you the difference for it self.

IMHO, the Hobbyboss with Eduard PE is the best (and cheap) choice.

Both kits are really good. My advice :

If you want to build just a single aircraft, Get the Eduard and if you want to do more than that & for conversion projects, get the HB one since it's more cheaper.

Nice post!

Writing from the USA, I've found the Eduard edition, especially the Weekend Edition, to be much cheaper than the Hobby Boss example. If you shop around a bit, it's pretty easy to get the Weekend Edition, plus the masks and express etch for about the same price as the Hobby Boss kit, sans extras.

I nailed a Weekend Edition for $12 bucks at a local show, so you could really undercut the Hobby Boss if you were patient about it.

Edited by Irving Babbitt

I have built both and like the HB better. Now let me qualify that a bit. I built the Eduard first hoping to do a '67 natural metal bird but some of the fit problems I had meant it became a '73 camo bird (even without the proper back end for the re-engined IIIC's). The HB PROBABLY benefited from my missteps in building the Eduard one but AS A KIT it went together for me better.

If I wanted to do another one I figure I'd build the Eduard one better, as I usually build a second pass at a kit better than I did the first one.

So to complete my rambling if you are wanting 4 of them, get whichever is cheaper and figure the first may be a learning experience so build it with the least desired markings by the time you get to the fourth you'll have a show stopper!

Happy Modeling

Matt

I just finished building the HB Mirage IIIC and it went together well, did have some fit issues with the intakes to the fuselage and there was a gap that required filling along the seam where the fuselage and wings mate. Other than those two issues, putting the model together went without a hitch. I found mine at Sprue Brothers on sale for less than $20. Just search the various modelling sites and you'll find it relatively cheap.

The surface detail of the Eduard kit is more refined/restrained. HB kit has rather deeper rivets which kind of spoil the ultra smooth appearance that was/is a trade mark of Dassault jets. On the real jet the rivets are hardley noticeable compared to the surface unless you really look for them.

The surface detail of the Eduard kit is more refined/restrained. HB kit has rather deeper rivets which kind of spoil the ultra smooth appearance that was/is a trade mark of Dassault jets. On the real jet the rivets are hardley noticeable compared to the surface unless you really look for them.

Not really are problem if you're doing a camouflaged plane I'd say.

Not really are problem if you're doing a camouflaged plane I'd say.

yep its down to the individual I rekon on what the apperance of the model he/she would like. Some may like the more defined/larger rivets etc of the HB kit, others no so.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hobbyboss kit is not a copy of the Eduard kit. It amazes me how guys who will examine something as tiny as the shape of a vent in 1/48th scael will overlook details that will tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that a kit is not a copy of another kit. Gentlemen, the proof is in the details...

Seek and yee shall find!