Silver Pencils for Chipping

Which pencil should I get? I have started to look around and keep hearing the name Prismacolor. The ones I found were $16 dollars for one single pencil?!? Is that right? Is there any other silver pencil that can do the job as well but are not as expensive? Would an eyeliner silver pencil work?

I want something good but I am also not paying anything over $5 dollars for one single pencil!

Sixteen bucks does seem steep, but then again, think how long a single pencil will last ...

Other brands are available - the main thing is to stick with a genuine drawing pencil, that is, graphite/clay lead within a wooden barrel. Eyeliner is just make-up presented differently so it'll be pretty greasy compared with drawing pencils.

A good drawing pencil thats on the lighter scale of the spectrum could be a candidate. You can use a thin stiff brush or a single fiber - perhaps that can work as well if you use silver paint. Alternatively, theres a salt weathering technique that that results in really realistic chipping, because it works in the same sort of manner.

David

$16 for one? I have a Prismacolor silver pencil, and I dont think I paid more than a dollar or three for it. I know I didn't pay $16 for it. Is this at Hobby Lobby or Michael's? Go there to get it if you can't find it for a dollar or two elsewhere.

Awesomeo guys, thanks for the input. Maybe those websites were trying to rip me off. Either way, definitely not paying that much for it. By the way, I would be tempted to try the salt technique but im already done painting the model!

If that price was from a website, it may be the price for a box of a dozen pencils. But I don't think you will need that many.

I originally looked for them at 3:00am last night. Waking up at 9am I realized the price was actually for about a dozen or more of those! lol I found them at 50 cents in dickblick art.

Thanks guys, I can definitely invest in one of these now.

I have heard of people using these on a flat coat instead of a gloss/future coat because it doesn't stick in gloss. Is this true? Should the chipping be the last thing I do after I apply a flat coat?

I originally looked for them at 3:00am last night. Waking up at 9am I realized the price was actually for about a dozen or more of those! lol I found them at 50 cents in dickblick art.

Thanks guys, I can definitely invest in one of these now.

I have heard of people using these on a flat coat instead of a gloss/future coat because it doesn't stick in gloss. Is this true? Should the chipping be the last thing I do after I apply a flat coat?

Prismacolor are wax-based pencils so you need a surface with a little tooth to use them effectively.

I've been using this trick lately. I've found it to be very good for the most part, depends on how and where you do it. For example, the heavy chipping on the front of the engine cowls of a B-17 is quick and easy to do with that pencil. I just kinda strike a specific spot repeatedly till I get the effect I want. Just gotta remember to keep the pencil straight to the model so it doesnt glance off it and leave a long stray silver streak. I dont have a good pic right now, I'll get one later to show what I'm talking about. For me, this look's a lot better than painting on scratches, it's flush with the surface.

I've used black and brown ones also to hilight panel lines and general weathering. Red ones for fuel filler caps.

And the silver can also be use for the painting chipping on the leading edges of the prop blades, just run the front of the blades along the side of the pencil lead.

P9290158.jpg

P9290159.jpg

not the best pics but hopefully you get the idea

Edited by B-17 guy

the chipping that you made with the pencils are on the top right of the fans right? because that does look amazing. im hoping im understanding what and how you are using these pencils. do you kinda draw it on or just rub the side of the "pointy" part of the pencil? wouldn't a normal pencil for school work? they are dark silver.

In addition to the Prismacolor silver pencil, consider picking up a light or medium grey color as well. Some grey chips here and there mixed in with the silver looks nice.

Also, with a dark colored model, the grey pencil doesn't contrast too much like the silver chips, but you still get a good look.

What about putting BMF (bare metal foil) all over the model (appropriately riveted etc too), or spray it silver/dull alu/grey shades - and do the salt peeling/chipping technique with the actual coat color? :banana:

smaller chips can be done as mentioned above.

David