Okay Guys, be gentle now. With all of the recent discussion here on Huey variants and conversions, I am braving the waters to share a very rough project that I began about 10 years ago. With very limited knowledge of rotorcraft, Internet resources, forums, and tools like callipers, I began with a Revell 1/32 UH-1D.

412-01.jpg

The upper cowlings and exhaust were removed. I then took a section of dense foam material used for porch railings, and attempted to carve a rough shape to resemble the upper structures.

412-02.jpg

Evergreen strip was added to attempt to alter the shape of the nose and chin bubble windows. More work is needed here on both. Forming of the upper and lower edges of the nose, as well as adding some horizontal material where it is chipped, as well as remove some of material towards the front of the chin bubble.

412-03.jpg

All of the contours and placement of the details will need major adjustment.

412-04.jpg

The rear exhaust will need major fabrication, aftermarket mesh, and a little guidance from the members here.

412-05.jpg

Now, with a little more knowledge, better skill level, and tools, I hope to be able to make a cleaner transition into something that more closely resembles a Bell 412. All comments, suggestions and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

David

Hey David

Great to see your old project. I got your email when I got home from work not long ago. I will reply later.

No need to feel worried about showing us something you started several years ago. The 412 conversion is a massive one and you are in the best company here.....loads of us LOVE hueys!

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Like Oliver said........its great to see the 412 getting some much needed attention!!!

Cheers

Anthony

Wow, fantastic Rob. Thank you for posting those! Do you know any more on how he achieved it?

Cheers

Anthony

Hey Anthony,

I have all the info of the conversion and I'm currently sorting them to pass them over to Chris (BK117). He probably has told you that before. There are even still some master forms around.

P.S. I'm the HUEY guy from norterh Germany. :doh: Chris will pass the info on to you.

Cheers,

ROB

I converted the Revell D/H kit into a UH-1N (212) many moons ago, long before the Panda N was available. It came out pretty good. I carved masters for the longer nose and engine nacelles out of balsa wood, then vaccu-formed them. I still have the masters as well. The nose is quite a bit longer and has a flatter profile than the D/H nose. Yours still needs to be longer.

Here is how mine turned out. (sorry for the pic quality. I had a crappy digicam back then.)

http://www.hkngallery.org.uk/hkngallery.ns...USMC%20UH1N.jpg

http://www.hkngallery.org.uk/hkngallery.ns...%20UH1N%202.jpg

http://www.hkngallery.org.uk/hkngallery.ns...%20UH1N%205.jpg

http://www.hkngallery.org.uk/hkngallery.ns...%20UH1N%203.jpg

Hi Rob

Thanks for the PM..........it has all become very clear now, thank you! I will bang an email off later on as I am at work at the mo and have a meeting to go to soon.

Thanks for posting those extra photos.

And thanks again for everything, it is much appreciated

Cheers

Anthony

Guys,

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I thought that there must be more people out there that appreciated the 412! I will slowly work on getting the proper shapes/contours/proportions for the major components that must be made or corrected. Is it "cheating" to ask for help? Gino said that he has already made masters for certain parts, and Anthony will be doing so at a future time... I may focus my limited time/energy/skills on more basic projects for the time being.

I think that I have "fear of completion"... Fear - that I am going to totally ruin all of the hard work of a project in the final steps. Has anyone else experienced this(I know, crazy - right)? I have completed several model projects in the past, gaining new skills, trying new materials and techniques, and improving the end result of my projects. I will continue to work towards overcoming this phobia. Thanks to all of you for your contributions that make this such a great forum to learn, share, and grow in our hobby.

Sincerely,

David

Note - Sorry for the sappy post above. Just wanted you to know how much I appreciate the projects, knowledge and ideas shared here...

Is it "cheating" to ask for help?

Not at all. This community is here so we can share ideas and help each other out to make better models. If you want the 212 nose and engine nacelle let me know. I'll vac-form a set up for you. They would be a good starting place for the 412 conversion.

I think that I have "fear of completion"... Fear - that I am going to totally ruin all of the hard work of a project in the final steps. Has anyone else experienced this(I know, crazy - right)?

Your kidding right? You should see how many kits I have that probably only have an hours worth of work to finish but have sat for 2 or 3 years. I don't know if its fear of completion but it is something. :salute:

I warned you that helicopters were addictive. :yahoo:

Wow, that 412 in 1:32 is AWESOME. I am planning to convert the 1:35 Dragon UH-1N kit to a 412, This is a ``must convert´´ model. I hope to make it in the begginings of 2010.

Hooknladerno1, you conversion looks nice, keep working. congratulations.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001