Will we ever see one?

How can you argue against ReiRei0's explanation about Macross 7? I stand by it! Mac-7 is equivalent to a couple days on /b/.

How DARE you mention M7 in the same sentence with /b/!

pray my plans for world domination fall through... because if I become dictator of this world, you'll be scrubbing my toilet for the rest of your life.

I argue against Rei Rei0's explination because I don't agree with it. It's subjective.

Edited by Skull Leader
How DARE you mention M7 in the same sentence with /b/!

pray my plans for world domination fall through... because if I become dictator of this world, you'll be scrubbing my toilet for the rest of your life.

I argue against Rei Rei0's explination because I don't agree with it. It's subjective.

Well...there are adult males who like Lucky Star so...I guess at least your distaste includes violence of some kind...

I don't mind the horrid production values...it was only a little worse than SDF. I don't mind the eInvid/whatever...perfect explanation for the creation of the Zentran/Meltran...but exclusively using song to defeat enemies and controlling fighter jets with guitars...

considerationDemotive.jpg

I rest my case.

Well...there are adult males who like Lucky Star so...I guess at least your distaste includes violence of some kind...

I don't mind the horrid production values...it was only a little worse than SDF. I don't mind the eInvid/whatever...perfect explanation for the creation of the Zentran/Meltran...but exclusively using song to defeat enemies and controlling fighter jets with guitars...

I rest my case.

say what you will about the idea (I will admit it wasn't the best thought out), but the soundtrack was overall pretty decent (and WORLDS better than than Reba Wests wretched screaching in Robotech... she's on my "list" if I ever become dictator... hey, at least YOU get to live, right?) they even slipped Macross II's soundtrack in there. Accept for the 3 "face valks", all the other designs were pretty off the chain. The overall story (not the premise of how they win so much) and character interaction are also good.

And being a musician, and tailoring my academic career around it for the past 12 years or so, I'll be the first in line to preach about the power of music. I've seen a beethoven symphony bring a tough-natured grown man to tears... it isn't so incredibly far-fetched to think that a love song being sung to a race previously deprived of such experiences might not cause them to stop and consider. You have to think about our own dispositions in all of this... having never been without, we take it for granted.

Let me use a different idea as an example: Drop a box of big macs in the middle of an ethiopian town and they'll think it's fine dining (probably even killing each other to get at them)... having never tasted anything so magnificent. To us, it's just a fast food sandwich that takes care of the hunger when we don't have anything better. Music would work the same way. If all you are used to is warrior chants or whatever (little is written in any book just exactly what the Zentraedi/Meltrandi had, if anything at all. The history BEFORE the events featured in all the series is poorly chronicled at best) and all of a sudden you hear a female voice calling out with ideas you didn't even know about before, odds are you'd at least stop to try and comprehend what it all meant.

And it wasn't just the music... if you remember the TV series at all (and to a lesser degree, the movie), they were completely fascinated by pretty much every aspect of human culture. Remember, the 3 Zentran spies accumulated a number of random objects for Virilwitai and Exodol (or Breetai and Exedore if you prefer, I use both) to study. Their behavior while attempting to explain the significance of each during the series bordered on manic.

It makes more sense for the TV series... since the Zentraedi and Meltrandi were two separate races, but working competitively together to achieve the same goal. When he changed it in the movie (for those not in the know, in the movie the two races are violently opposed to one another and waste no time going after each other in lieu of the humans) but the overall idea doesn't change. The bottom line is, it isn't so much the music that breaks them down, it's the culture shock. Nekki Basara's take on that is a bit of a flawed one, in that HE believes the power of song alone is enough to do the job... but it isn't. This is evidenced by the fact that through most of the series, all he really does is get in the way and at best confuses the enemy. It didn't work as well because the Protodevilin/Varuta empire had already been exposed to music (the Varuta empire is little more than the Macross 14 colony fleet's people mind controlled by the protodevilin... hence the reason their valkyries look so similar to some UN Spacy designs)

admittedly I'm lost on the whole "anima spirita" thing as a DEFINED source of energy, but as a musician I am very quick to point out that there is definately such a thing as sound energy, and it DOES affect a crowd. This interests me enough to see what, if any research has been done on it.