E-2D Needs a Name

With the arrival of the E-2D in a couple years, the higher-ups have asked what the community would like to refer to the plane as while talking on the radio at the boat. The Super Hornet has "Rhino", the regular Hawkeye has "Hawkeye", etc. The new version of the E-2 is apparently different enough in landing speed/weight/characteristics that it will require a separate name for use around the carrier landing pattern so as to avoid confusion with E-2Cs while talking on the radio. The Growler went through a similar competition about a year ago as I recall.

So what do you all think? Any suggestions?

And Hummer is apparently already out of the running.

Cheers,

-John

Why the perceived need for a different name..? The A-6E and F-4J were quite an improvement over the A-6A and F-4B models as well, with different engines for the Phantom to boot like the E-2D, but there was no need for a name change.

The F/A-18E/F, while shapewise and conceptually similar, has an entirely different and bigger airframe compared to the Baby Hornets, so I get that one, but the F/A-18A/B and C/D have the same Hornet / Bug moniker.

Cheers,

Andre

With the arrival of the E-2D in a couple years, the higher-ups have asked what the community would like to refer to the plane as while talking on the radio at the boat. The Super Hornet has "Rhino", the regular Hawkeye has "Hawkeye", etc. The new version of the E-2 is apparently different enough in landing speed/weight/characteristics that it will require a separate name for use around the carrier landing pattern so as to avoid confusion with E-2Cs while talking on the radio. The Growler went through a similar competition about a year ago as I recall.

And Hummer is apparently already out of the running.

Cheers,

-John

Well, as 'Hawkeye' was a character in MASH (played by Alan Alda), how about...

Trapper

Winchester

Klinger

Hot Lips

or .... most obvious....

RADAR !!!!!

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
Halo (because of the dome)

Shredder (after the props)

Lawnmower, or just Mower (again, props)

Halo was taken by the Mil Mi-26 helicopter ages ago

"Eyeball" might be good in relation to the radome.

I was thinking something along the lines of "blender" or "Weed Eater" in relation to the props

"Pinwheel" (per the props). Ok, maybe not that spectacular

2nd vote on "Radar" or "O'Reilly"

"Dervish" (again per the props)

Hmm..lessee - glass cockpit, eye in the sky, swirling props.

How 'bout the "TigerEye" (like the marble)

Why the perceived need for a different name..? The A-6E and F-4J were quite an improvement over the A-6A and F-4B models as well, with different engines for the Phantom to boot like the E-2D, but there was no need for a name change.
It isn't about changes in the plane, it's about changes in what the carrier crew has to do when the plane takes off or comes in to land. For example, the Growler is heavier than the Super Hornet, so it has to be handled differently. But "Growler" is very close to "Prowler" when spoken, so EA-18G's are referred to as "Grizzly" by the carrier crew. Same thing here - they are not changing the official nickname, just making a second name the carrier crew can use to quickly identify the aircraft.

Since OV-1's are not used any more, how about "Mohawk", since Hawkeye was the last of the Mohican's? And you got that "hawk" in there, so they are similar.

The new version of the E-2 is apparently different enough in landing speed/weight/characteristics that it will require a separate name for use around the carrier landing pattern so as to avoid confusion with E-2Cs while talking on the radio.

Not really but this new name thing is all the rage today. Definitely not as much difference as going from a Group 0 to a Group I or II with the new engines or as much as the new prop changed things.

Overall, it's a little premature though as D-1 is only doing the second round of land-cats today.

I vote for "Bethpage Boondogle"

Spongebob

Edited by Spongebob
Not really but this new name thing is all the rage today. A little premature though as D-1 is only doing the second round of land-cats today.

I vote for "Bethpage Boondogle"

Spongebob

Spongebob..

Tongue TWISTER if ever there was ONE...

LOVE it !!!! :jaw-dropping::worship: