In dry dock (or space dock)

OK, lets here what you guys are building.

Please put down what you are building, scale, company, aftermarket. All that good stuff.

Edited by phantom

As for me its going to be:

1/350 Tamiya USS Enterprise CVN-65. 2001 cruise with CVW-8 on board. Starfighter decals for the air wing of VF-41, VF-14, VFA-15, VFA-87, VAQ-141, VAW-124, HS-3 and VRC-40. Mostly Trumpeter aircraft with a few Tamiya thrown in below decks

Gold metal railings and Enterprise decals.

1/350 (hey the SAME scale) Polar Lights USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (1979- 1984 Movie version). Only aftermarket will be little light bulbs and a battery pack I picked up at the surplus store.

1/48 Hasegawa F-14A VF-41 Tomcat 2001 cruise with kit decals. (if I can get the other two done.)

Any of you know what air wing uss enterprise had in WWII i want to build a 1/32 hellcat ?

I have VF-17 decals but cant find where it flew from

Cheers

Neo

Any of you know what air wing uss enterprise had in WWII i want to build a 1/32 hellcat ?

I have VF-17 decals but cant find where it flew from

Cheers

Neo

VF-20 of Airwing 20 was the most common on Enterprise. The only squadron with recent lines that were on board and still (recently) active from back then appears to be VF-10 The Grim Reapers which became VF-101.

I'm not sure VF-17 flew from Enterprise. I know they flew from CV-17 Bunker Hill with Corsairs. The histories I have been looking at are not too specific when it came to Hellcats. If you can find proof of Enterprise usage then go for it.

But looking at some Enterprise history sites that do show what squadrons were on board during the war (lots) I did not see VF-17 or the later VF-61.

Edited by phantom

Okay, here's what I'm going to attempt to finish. All will be in 1/48 scale.

CVW-6 from 1962:

VF-102 F-4B Phantom

VF-33 F-8 Crusader

VA-66 A-4C Skyhawk

VA-65 A-1 Skyraider

VAW-33 EA-1F Skyraider

VAW-12 E-1 Tracer

VFP-62 RF-8A Photo Crusader

VAH-7 A-5A Vigilante

CVW-14 from 1974:

VF-1 F-14A Tomcat

VF-2 F-14A Tomcat

VA-27 A-7E Corsair

VA-196 A-6E Intruder

VAQ-127 EA-6B Prowler

VS-29 S-3 Viking

CVW-8 from 2001:

VF-14 F-14A Tomcat

VFA-15 F-18C Hornet

VS-24 S-3 Viking

VAQ-129(?) EA-6B

I've started a few, finished a couple, and have quite a few to go. If the E-2C comes out, I'll add that to the pile. I may even convert one to an E-2B for the 1974 airwing. Oh, I've also got one of those old AMT Enterprises to build. I've always wanted to do one, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to do so.

I found the decals for VF-1 Wolfpack :pray: in a 1/44 Revell F-14A Tomcat boxing (04004) for the Tophatters I picked up from my LHS some time ago.

S6306213.jpg

The parts are however from the old molding (IMHO quite worthless), although the boxing was priced identical to the new issue :P

Anyway, since I have the all important VF-1 Wolfpack decals, I plan to contribute a Virgin Cruise Tomcat from CVW-14 circa 1975.

Anyone knows what was the AIM loadout for the F-14As that flew air cover during the evacuation of US personnel from Saigon in Operation Frequent Wind?

Cheers,

Giles

VF-20 of Airwing 20 was the most common on Enterprise. The only squadron with recent lines that were on board and still (recently) active from back then appears to be VF-10 The Grim Reapers which became VF-101.

I'm not sure VF-17 flew from Enterprise. I know they flew from CV-17 Bunker Hill with Corsairs. The histories I have been looking at are not too specific when it came to Hellcats. If you can find proof of Enterprise usage then go for it.

But looking at some Enterprise history sites that do show what squadrons were on board during the war (lots) I did not see VF-17 or the later VF-61.

I was about to say, didn't they fly Corsairs? But looking it up did find that in April 1944 that the original squadron was stood down (with several of the members forming VF-84), and the "new" VF-17, with mostly new members and few original members we assigned to the USS Hornet, and were given Hellcats at this time.

good info here: www.jolly-rogers.com

hope that helps.

OK, lets here what you guys are building.

Please put down what you are building, scale, company, aftermarket. All that good stuff.

I will shortly be starting my 1/48 Hasegawa F-4J 'Showtime 100' kit. I decided to do this as I found a picture in Squadron/Signal Publication (F-4 Phantom in Action Aircraft #65) that showed Showtime 100 (155800) when it was attached to CVW-9 (NG), VF-96 Squadron, onboard CVN-65 USS Enterprise (Jan.6, 1969 - Jul.2, 1969). No aftermarket bits will be used but there will be some scratch building. I will also have to do something with the decals as the kit depicts the aircraft in the early 70s while onboard the USS Constellation.

NB: I have a lot of photos of 155800 while it was onboard the Constellation but only 2 (1 colour and 1 B&W) while it was with Enterprise. From what I can tell the markings are the same except for 'USS Constellation' in an italic font and 'USS Enterprise' in non-italics. Is there anything else that I should be aware of and/or are there any other pictures out there? :lol:

I will shortly be starting my 1/48 Hasegawa F-4J 'Showtime 100' kit. I decided to do this as I found a picture in Squadron/Signal Publication (F-4 Phantom in Action Aircraft #65) that showed Showtime 100 (155800) when it was attached to CVW-9 (NG), VF-96 Squadron, onboard CVN-65 USS Enterprise (Jan.6, 1969 - Jul.2, 1969). No aftermarket bits will be used but there will be some scratch building. I will also have to do something with the decals as the kit depicts the aircraft in the early 70s while onboard the USS Constellation.

NB: I have a lot of photos of 155800 while it was onboard the Constellation but only 2 (1 colour and 1 B&W) while it was with Enterprise. From what I can tell the markings are the same except for 'USS Constellation' in an italic font and 'USS Enterprise' in non-italics. Is there anything else that I should be aware of and/or are there any other pictures out there? :lol:

If I'm not mistaken one big noticable difference may be the modex numbers. Early in VF-96 F-4 career (with F-4Bs) the modex was NOT in the 100 series but rather the 600 series. I know VF-96 flew F-4Bs off Enterprise, can't remember if they also flew the J off CVN-65 before switching to the Constellation. Check your photo references as they say. Also , welcome aboard the GB.

Edited by phantom
If I'm not mistaken one big noticable difference may be the modex numbers. Early in VF-96 F-4 career (with F-4Bs) the modex was NOT in the 100 series but rather the 600 series. I know VF-96 flew F-4Bs off Enterprise, can't remember if they also flew the J off CVN-65 before switching to the Constellation. Check your photo references as they say. Also , welcome aboard the GB.

You are correct in that the F-4Bs of VF-96 were Modex 600. In fact I was initially going to try and convert a very old Monogram kit to an F-4B, when I came across the photo of the Aircraft with Enterprise Markings, Modex 100. Cross reference to the www.gonavy.jp site also seemed to confirm that VF-96 was onboard Enterprise when they converted to F-4Js for 6 months early in 1969 before moving to the Constellation. Not sure how accurate any of that information is, but, did think a Hasegawa kit would be a lot easier for me than trying to convert the Mono kit.

I'm in with an Eduards 48th Weekend Edition F6F-5. I was inspired by all of the Hellcat builds in the Carrier War GB and picked one up.

I am going almost completely OOB and since the box decals are for a VF-20 F6F-5 operating off the Enterprise in Oct 44, it should work fine for this GB.

mason

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

S-3B Viking BUNO 159733 (AC 706) of VS-22 "Zappers" aboard the Enterprise.

On November 8th, 1998, this aircraft was the one that was hit by an EA-6B and the Viking crew ejected but the Prowler crew did not survive. A friend was first fire hose on the aircraft & also shut down the remaining running engine. He had the ejection handle in his office at work....

1/48 AMT/Ertl S-3 kit

Paragon wing fold

Goffy models interior

Many more extras......

Edited by drhornii
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, I am going to throw my hat into the ring with something that might not be quite an official GB entry, but I figure this might be the best place for it anyway.

I am going to do a 1/3788 scale (roughly) TOS Enteprise using one of the styrene Zacchi Gamescience Starfleet Battle Miniatures for the build and some leftover decals that I once offered for sale a few years ago. The model is being doing as part of a bigger piece I am doing featuring the Enterprise docked at a starbase. The starbase itself will be a modified AMT Space Station K-7 kit (the station in Trouble with Tribbles). The kit is an unbuilt vintage issue of the kit, but I figure I might as well do one now since AMT is reissuing it next year. As such I won't feel bad about building a vintage kit.

So while the E herself will be the only Enterprise subject, I'll probably be documenting the whole build in this thread. I'll leave it up to the discreation of Phantom as to if he wants to declare it official or not. But I won't sweat it if it isn't considered official. Besides, at the rate I build, I might have a fighting chance to at least get the Enterprise itself done as I've had the BIGGEST case of model burnout in recent memory and it has been hard to finish anything once I start.

Edited by Jay Chladek