Hey everyone,

I'm looking for information on the CRV-7 rocket pods for a British Apache. Can you possibly guess why?

I need the dimensions, length (especially the nose cone), width, lug locations, as well as pix of the front, attachment points for the nose cone and the aft end. Pictures, pictures and more pictures.

I read somewhere, Bristol Aerospace, that the CRV-7 is actually just the nose cone added to the front of a standard M-261 pod. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help

Floyd

Hi Floyd,

I may be able to help here a little. Here's a small selection of what I've acquired over the last few years. There's a load more at the gallery below from various opportunites in the last couple of years. I can supply bigger if required. I don't know anything about dimensions I'm afraid but I do believe it is the same pod the other Apache operators use with the extra cone on the front - for the first year or so AAC Apaches never had the cone fitted either. But, here's the big problem - this pod does not represent the current standard as fitted to UK Apaches on Herrick, although it is correct for UK based Apache's. A few months ago a extra layer of applique armour was fitted around the bottom half of the pod, all the way along the tube. This was in response to a weakness identified and according to a AH crew I spoke to a couple of months ago just back from Herrick a hit on a pod nearly resulted in the loss of a aircraft. I don't know of any open source images I can point you to yet, but may be able to release some, leave it with me. In the meantime...

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5018.jpg

IMG_8026.jpg

IMG_7979.jpg

And the gallery,

http://gary-stedman.fotopic.net/c1648365.html

Gary

Bless you Floyd!!! Do tell me that you'll be making a set of proper HIDAS parts as well? and we're talking 1/48 here right?

I haven't gotten that far yet, but if someone out there masters one, and its good, I'll produce it for the Hasegawa kit. Let me talk to Scott Bregi to see if he has it mastered yet.

Floyd

I may be able to help here a little.

But, here's the big problem - this pod does not represent the current standard as fitted to UK Apaches on Herrick, although it is correct for UK based Apache's. A few months ago a extra layer of applique armour was fitted around the bottom half of the pod, all the way along the tube. This was in response to a weakness identified and according to a AH crew I spoke to a couple of months ago just back from Herrick a hit on a pod nearly resulted in the loss of a aircraft. I don't know of any open source images I can point you to yet, but may be able to release some, leave it with me. In the meantime...

These work for now, but I'd really like to see the newer options. Right now I'd like to do Ed Macy's aircraft from his book. These would be the correct pods for that.

I also know I have to do something with the gun and the IHADSS (whatever that is, that is an Apache joke).

Floyd

Floyd

I've been working on a similar project with a thread over on Britmodeller.

I have made/updated a full set of British Defence systems, and created the corrected rocket pod.

Picture714-1.jpg

At the moment the masters are with CMK being producted for Heritage Aviation.

They were supposed to be back from the manufacturers by now, hopefully will be released soon.

This set will cover the early WAH-64D configuration, with the original TADS and HIDAS in 4 positions. I will be producing a futher update with the later (current) modifications with the M-TADS and the 5 point HIDAS.

I havn't seen any photo's of the updated CRV-7 pods with the extra "padding" on the underside, would be interested if anyone has pictures of it.

Hope thats of some help

Hey Floyd!

Yeah, the pod is the same M261 that we know and love. In fact, we can fire CRV7 rockets from US longbows too, just gotta tell the computer that that is what's on board.

What are you looking to do with the IHADSS system? New seat sensors might be nice. As far as the gun goes, there are a couple minor additions that really spice things up, but the Hasegawa kit's gun is beautiful.

We could really use superdetailed m299 Hellfire racks. The 272s that the kit comes with are incorrect and there's a lot that can be done to improve them.

We need to get together. Busy this weekend?

J

Hey Floyd!

Yeah, the pod is the same M261 that we know and love. In fact, we can fire CRV7 rockets from US longbows too, just gotta tell the computer that that is what's on board.

What are you looking to do with the IHADSS system? New seat sensors might be nice. As far as the gun goes, there are a couple minor additions that really spice things up, but the Hasegawa kit's gun is beautiful.

We could really use superdetailed m299 Hellfire racks. The 272s that the kit comes with are incorrect and there's a lot that can be done to improve them.

We need to get together. Busy this weekend?

J

Was just talking to Chris about you last Saturday. Good to have him back and healthy. This weekend I have to work Saturday day not sure what the night will bring just yet. Sunday we have the RennFest. Then the following week I'm on nights for two weeks.

We really do need to get together, we'll figure out something.

Floyd

Floyd

I've been working on a similar project with a thread over on Britmodeller.

I have made/updated a full set of British Defence systems, and created the corrected rocket pod.

Picture714-1.jpg

At the moment the masters are with CMK being producted for Heritage Aviation.

They were supposed to be back from the manufacturers by now, hopefully will be released soon.

This set will cover the early WAH-64D configuration, with the original TADS and HIDAS in 4 positions. I will be producing a futher update with the later (current) modifications with the M-TADS and the 5 point HIDAS.

I havn't seen any photo's of the updated CRV-7 pods with the extra "padding" on the underside, would be interested if anyone has pictures of it.

Hope thats of some help

Well that doesn't help me none at all. LOL It looks really nice. I may still take a crack at it, but for myself. Still would love to see what you have. The helicopter market is too small to duplicate efforts and waste money.

Floyd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post a piccie of the CVR7's painted.

Picture747-4.jpg

The whole update set will be avialable form the Heritage Aviation stand this weekend and Scale Model World if your going.

They shoud be available from the website shortly after.

• 1 month later...