F-14D exhaust cans......any paints in a spray can that match?

Hey all

I'm trying to finish up my F-14D and just have the cans left. Only problem is that I haven't been able to find (locally) a paint that matches the color of the real thing. Unfortunately, I don't have a air brush currently, so I'm looking for something in a spray can. Does anyone have any suggestions or has used anything that would work? Thanks for any suggestions, I appreciate it.

Picture of the real thing.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_s...11_18_of_43.jpg

(Borrowed that from another thread here, thanks chuck540z3)

Your options are limited in spray cans for metal colors. The only ones I am aware of are the Testors Metalizer spray line, but even that is limited to only 6 colors, with only Gunmetal being perhaps useful. Here is the link:

Testor's Metalizer Sprays

I would suggest you brush paint the cans, with thinned enamels. My favorite is Jet Exhaust (also by Testors), with a little drybrushing of blue and red hues, after the base coat. HTH,

Rick

I know the bottle says "air brush only" but I have had some success brushing MM Metalizers. Mostly do it on small areas though like pitot tubes and missile fins, so I am not sure how it would look on a larger surface like exhaust cans. If you got that route, MM burnt Metal is the color you want.

K, I brushed one can with MM Jet Exhaust and it looks to be the right color. I might have to stop by the LHS and see if they have any bottles of MM Burnt Metal, if that is a better choice.

Thanks everyone :cheers:

I brush-painted the for-airbrush-use-only MM metalizers before getting my airbrush, and it turned out pretty good. The brush-strokes were less visible than with most other enamel or acrylic paints.

You know what you could do is to paint them, get them all finished, but don't use glue to attach them--they fit snugly into place and will stay there fine without it. Then if you ever do get an airbrush someday, you can pull them out, strip 'em and re-finish 'em, or replace them with aftermarket ones...

You know what you could do is to paint them, get them all finished, but don't use glue to attach them--they fit snugly into place and will stay there fine without it. Then if you ever do get an airbrush someday, you can pull them out, strip 'em and re-finish 'em, or replace them with aftermarket ones...

That is what I did, but so I could switch from one open one closed, to both open from time to time.