242 Sqn Codes- Willie McKnights a/c

Gents:

Presently doing a 72nd scale Hurricane using IPMS Canada decals for an a/c piloted by Willie McKnight (RCAF), from the "Canadian Aces" sheet, and have somehow misplaced the instructions. Can anybody advise as to what the code letter placement on the starboard side of the a/c is. Plane is coded LE*D on the port side. Any help would be appreciated. Just can't seem to find any info in the resources to help out.

Also, conflicting resources with regard to the spinner and Sky tailband. Some say yes (Sky) and another says black spinner and no tailband. Again, any help would be appreciated.

Alvin5182

Edited by alvin5182
Gents:

Presently doing a 72nd scale Hurricane using IPMS Canada decals for an a/c piloted by Willie McKnight (RCAF), from the "Canadian Aces" sheet, and have somehow misplaced the instructions. Can anybody advise as to what the code letter placement on the starboard side of the a/c is. Plane is coded LE*D on the port side. Any help would be appreciated. Just can't seem to find any info in the resources to help out.

Also, conflicting resources with regard to the spinner and Sky tailband. Some say yes (Sky) and another says black spinner and no tailband. Again, any help would be appreciated.

Alvin5182

Alvin,

I think you mean LE-A not LE-D which was Baders Hurricane. Baders had a black spinner in any pictures I've seen of it. I believe in this picture LE-A is the fourth one in.

242SqnHurricanes.jpg

The squadron code "LE" would be to the left of the roundel whether viewing the right or left side of the aircraft. According to Scale Aircraft Modelling, Combat Colours Number 2, The Hawker Hurricane 1939 to 1945 in RAF, Commonwealth and FAA Service, Sky tail bands and spinners were added at unit level from November 1940 as a means to further increase the ease of identification of RAF fighters. HTH.

Tom

Pictures of Baders Hurricane below.

2421.jpg

2422.jpg

Tom:

I did mean LE#A. I thought I had edited the post, but, apparently not. Thanks for the info.

Alvin5182

Alvin5182,

I don't know when that photo of the six 242 Hurricanes was taken. I don't see any evidence of personal markings (skeleton or boot kicking Hitler) on LE-A, although it is not in the best position in the formation to determine that. Certainly the first three don't have the latter mentioned marking, but from what I have gathered, not all 242 Hurricanes had it applied.

Tom

Trevor:

Nice job!!!! 48th Scale I presume. I'm a little concerned about the codes overlapping the sky tail band. Any photographic evidence to back that up. I've never seen that before.

alvin5182

Edited by alvin5182