Vinyl wing bladders for the F-14

Here's the next question. I'm always looking out for you guys in regards to pricing. Because there's vinyl involved, it will make the price a bit more than if it were just resin. I will have both dark gray and light gray vinyl pieces available. Should I put both colors in one package, or should I offer two separate sets with a lower price? My vinyl sets sell for around $7, but I could probably squeeze that down if I decided to put both colors in. So, the estimated prices would be $12.49 for one color and $15.49 for having both colors in the package. The up side to having both colors is that if you mess up one of the vinyl pieces, you've got extras. The vinyl can also be painted and weathered. Thoughts?

I would give them a try at $7 a pop though.

I wouldn't make any money if I sold them for $7. The vinyl alone will cost $4. Then there's the resin and the packaging. Finally, the distributor gets a 40% discount. As it is, I'll only be making a couple of bucks at the estimated prices I'm thinking about. I'd actually have to pay if I charged $7. That wouldn't be very good business on my part. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't make any money if I sold them for $7. The vinyl alone will cost $4. Then there's the resin and the packaging. Finally, the distributor gets a 40% discount. As it is, I'll only be making a couple of bucks at the estimated prices I'm thinking about. I'd actually have to pay if I charged $7. That wouldn't be very good business on my part. :thumbsup:

Yeah, but you could make up for it in volume!!!!

Very, very nice Darren. The only thing that would make them nicer is if they were in 1/32 scale too.

I think the fabric would lend itself to this scale better and, besides, I WANT them! :)

Based upon other stuff I've purchased for my 1/32 Tomcat, I think these would sell well for up to $30/set.

Edited by chuck540z3
I wouldn't make any money if I sold them for $7. The vinyl alone will cost $4. Then there's the resin and the packaging. Finally, the distributor gets a 40% discount. As it is, I'll only be making a couple of bucks at the estimated prices I'm thinking about. I'd actually have to pay if I charged $7. That wouldn't be very good business on my part. :whistle:

Darren Check PMs have an idea that might work.

Reddog;;;;;;

With the Extra sag one sees, on the sitting jets, Could it be sag/stretch from sitting for a wile of time?

I Would think, for it to inflat to a given hight, it could only deflate about the same amount.

I would pay what you would ask for them.. one question, will it come with two, one for each side?

Each set will contain a resin frame for each side and two sets of vinyl (light gray and dark gray) for each side. I'll explore Wayne's idea about having the modeler cut out the center section of the kit part and use that as a frame. I'll post how it goes. If it's successful, I'll be able to market just the vinyl pieces.

Each set will contain a resin frame for each side and two sets of vinyl (light gray and dark gray) for each side. I'll explore Wayne's idea about having the modeler cut out the center section of the kit part and use that as a frame. I'll post how it goes. If it's successful, I'll be able to market just the vinyl pieces.

Why not both?

Butterfingers like me probably rather have a ready appropriate frame made for the kit...

Others might just want the vinyl...

C heers!

Reddog;;;;;;

With the Extra sag one sees, on the sitting jets, Could it be sag/stretch from sitting for a wile of time?

I Would think, for it to inflat to a given hight, it could only deflate about the same amount.

Yes, they "could" sag after sitting for a while, like it's been sitting in the hangar for a while getting worked on. As far as it inflating, the leading edge would inflate about and three or four but would not "raise" up above the contour of the aircraft but maybe a half inch. When the wings where swept forward the overwing fairing (OWF) would lower and the airbag would raise to fill the gap. The OWF would lower about three inches so the bag didn't have to fill the whole gap, it would just stream line that area where the wing is while it's swept back. It would deflate the same about it inflated but this is for the leading edge and not the whole area of the airbag. The aft end of the airbag was only about an inch deep so it was a sloping with the leading edge inflating more them the trailing edge, all the while keeping the outer mold line of the fuselage practically the same.

HTH

Reddog

I would recommend including a frame, that are those out there like me who's scratchbuilding skills are seriously lacking and would find it easier to just cut out the area and drop in a pre-made frame.

Edited by Reddog

Ohhh, I am so awful at this. It comes with the resin frame? Well I would be willing to pay whatever you think is reasonable then! That is pretty sweet. I will definitely give one a try.

I used the plastic kit bladder as the framework, and here's how it turned out.

bladder7.JPG

It wasn't difficult at all, and I will provide a vinyl template to put on the plastic as a cutting guide to make it easier. However, here's the biggest problem. The Hasegawa plastic is extremely brittle. I cracked the framing on two different attempts. I think this idea will be good for the Revell and Academy kits, but I think the resin framework will work better for the Hasegawa kits.

Darren, looks to me like option #2 is the best, funny how most of us didnt realize there was a problem with the kit parts til it was waved in front of us.

What I would do is market the frameworks and 1 set of vinyl for the Hasegawa kits, no point having 2 different color vinyls if the modeler will most likely paint over them anyways. The market a second set of vinyl only to fit the Revell and Academy kits.

Then sometime next year Trumpeter or Tamiya will stun us all with news of a new 1/48 Tomcat series, making everything else on the market obsolete except they will notice they missed the boat on the bladders also and you will be able to make a new set for those too. Looks great darren, Hope to get a set or 2 sometime soon.

I'd love a set or two for my new Revell Tomcats. I like the second option the best. I'm guessing that you would not be able to swing the wings once this is installed??

Edited by muswp1
Here's the next question. I'm always looking out for you guys in regards to pricing. Because there's vinyl involved, it will make the price a bit more than if it were just resin. I will have both dark gray and light gray vinyl pieces available. Should I put both colors in one package, or should I offer two separate sets with a lower price? My vinyl sets sell for around $7, but I could probably squeeze that down if I decided to put both colors in. So, the estimated prices would be $12.49 for one color and $15.49 for having both colors in the package. The up side to having both colors is that if you mess up one of the vinyl pieces, you've got extras. The vinyl can also be painted and weathered. Thoughts?

Darren,

Two 1/48 sets please!

joe.