AIM loadout for the F-14A' first combat sortie

Hi Guys,

Does anyone knows what was the AIM loadout for the F-14As that flew top cover during the evacuation of US personnel from Saigon in April 1975 during Operation Frequent Wind?

My guess is that the birds will leave the AIM-54 at home. Probably loaded with 4 X AIM-7 and 4 X AIM-9 like the Phantoms. And, possibly with twin tanks (were the tanks available in 1974/75?) for extended loiter over Saigon area.

TIA

Cheers,

Giles

PS: also, I would be grateful if someone has records of the Number and BuNo of the VF-1 Wolfpack birds on board USS Enterprise that flew in Operation Frequent Wind

(were the tanks available in 1974/75?)

No. The tanks were a later fit. The very first tanks were a different design from what you would find in a model box as well, with fins.

HTH,

Andre

Thanks guys!

I am surprised there weren't that many photos from that era.

I have seen similarly configured loadout with 2/4 X AIM-7 and 4 X AIM-9 on Tomcats from the 70s...

Good call on the tanks. I thought they came later too but not sure when. When did the tanks come in anyway?

Back to the AIM... for Op Frequent Wind

Is it the earlier AIM-9D model or the later -G/H subtype?

And, for the Sparrow, is it still the AIM-7E model? I think the AIM-7F came later...

TIA

Giles

Is it the earlier AIM-9D model or the later -G/H subtype?

Doesnt' matter from a modeler's perspective. Externally the AIM-9D/G/H were identical. The differences were internal. Not sure about the AIM-7 but the AIM-7E is reasonable.

Yet another slice of history of which I was unaware. What squadron(s) were involved? Are we talking VF-1? Does anyone have pics?

Man, that would make a good subject for Fightertown Decals or Two Bobs to pull together! There was some discussion on another thread on the lack of good VF-1 decals. If indeed VF-1 was the squadron doing this, it would make for a great subject. We need to pull together and compile as much info as we can on this.

Aynone tracking along the same thought process on this?

Stew

What squadron(s) were involved? Are we talking VF-1?

VF-1 and VF-2, off the Enterprise.

From Joe Baughers excellent site:

"The Tomcat was in service just in time to see the closing stages of the Vietnam war in 1975. It flew top cover during Operation Frequent Wind, the evacuation of US personnel from Saigon in April of 1975 just before that city fell to the North. The two squadrons involved were VF-1 and VF-2, and they flew off the USS Enterprise (CVN 65). The North Vietnamese air force did not interfere with the operation, but one Tomcat was slightly damaged by antiaircraft fire."

HTH,

Andre

VF-1 and VF-2, off the Enterprise.

From Joe Baughers excellent site:

"The Tomcat was in service just in time to see the closing stages of the Vietnam war in 1975. It flew top cover during Operation Frequent Wind, the evacuation of US personnel from Saigon in April of 1975 just before that city fell to the North. The two squadrons involved were VF-1 and VF-2, and they flew off the USS Enterprise (CVN 65). The North Vietnamese air force did not interfere with the operation, but one Tomcat was slightly damaged by antiaircraft fire."

HTH,

Andre

I'd bet those Tomcat pilots would have loved for the NVAF to have shown up. I checked online and I can't seem to find too much about the F-14A's involvement during the evacuation except for the quote from Baughers site.

We've got an early VF-1 sheet coming up with all kinds of info and documentation for 1st cruise:)

Cheers!

Brian

Brian, I thought you'd never do it!

I found some basic VF-1 bits in the old boxing of Revell's 1/144. I'll steal the rest of the data and national markings off your old VF-84 sheet :):

Giles

PS: Please send some of your NSAWC sheet in 1/144 to Hannants :worship:

The VF-1 data and stuff is all new! And different from the VF-84 sheet.

Old VF-84 is in the mix at some point. Art is done for a few jets but not sure when it'll get released... There's so much other new stuff that's cool...

-brian

I'd bet those Tomcat pilots would have loved for the NVAF to have shown up. I checked online and I can't seem to find too much about the F-14A's involvement during the evacuation except for the quote from Baughers site.

I wonder if there are any pics out there of the one that got hit by ack-ack?

So no AIM-54? From which sources?

It is technically possible:

"The AIM-54A was approved for service use on January 28, 1975"

From J.Baugher's website

In doubt I will probably use a 4*AIM54A/2*AIM9 load, I love the look they give to the Tomcat, especially the front pallets :)

Edited by arnobiz

From J.Baugher's website

In doubt I will probably use a 4*AIM54A/2*AIM9 load, I love the look they give to the Tomcat, especially the front pallets :rofl:

It was technically possible, but improbable. As big, menacing and imposing AIM-54 were, they were heavy and drag inducing. Also, they were developed to destroy big targets, like Tu-16 and Tu-95 Bears, not nimbles MIG-17/21 NVAF had.

I have seen the photos of F-14 over Entreprise's deck during the evacuation, but not in the air, so cannot say the exact configuration.

It was technically possible, but improbable. As big, menacing and imposing AIM-54 were, they were heavy and drag inducing. Also, they were developed to destroy big targets, like Tu-16 and Tu-95 Bears, not nimbles MIG-17/21 NVAF had.

I have seen the photos of F-14 over Entreprise's deck during the evacuation, but not in the air, so cannot say the exact configuration.

I would go with that logic :thumbsup:

From early photos (pre-80s), I have seen 2 X AIM-7 + 2 X AIM-9 and 2 X AIM-7 + 4 X AIM-9, but not 4X AIM-7 + 4 X AIM-9. Would be nice to hear from someone old enough to be there :lol:

Brian, when do you expect to issue the VF-1 sheet in 1/144? I'd like one for the Enterprise GB :thumbsup:

Giles

• 4 months later...

From J.Baugher's website

In doubt I will probably use a 4*AIM54A/2*AIM9 load, I love the look they give to the Tomcat, especially the front pallets :thumbsup:

I think I found the Vietnam era photo reference that I was looking for. I found one photo of 103 flying over tropical landscape littered with rice paddy fields. It could easily have been Thailadn or (more likely) the Phillipines...

At least one (-103) Tomcats on the First WolfPack cruise (1974-1975) was apparently fitted with the front Phoenix launch pallets.

I am however unale to find a picture of any a/c loaded with AIM-54 during that period. Neither am I able to locate a photo of AIM-7 being carried. The vaious photos I have seen show only 2 AIM-9 on the shoulder pylon.

I am still looking for photos taken during the time frame of Operation Frequent Wind. Reddog??

Giles

Sorry, that was a little bit before my time but I would think that if they where flying around in theater with Phoenix rails and sparrow adapters on the wings then they would have been carrying Phoenix's, Sparrow's and Sidewinders. My guess would be 2x2x2.

Reddog

Thanks Reddog. That was quick!

I didn't think you'd be that ancient :thumbsup: I was hoping you might have heard from some old timer :woot.gif:

I suspect the birds that flew over Saigon only had Sparrows and Winders (likely 2x2) because of loiter time requirement (no tanks yet). The picture of the Phoenix launch pallet kinda threw a spanner to this. I was hoping someone may have something concrete (e..g photos) to prove either way.

Giles

Our normal load outs in 1978 were 2x2 on the outboard pylon. Only time we ever loaded a Phoenix was for the Bear-cap. Back then the AIM-54 had the reputation of being a "million dollar bomb".

Thanks Paul.

I forgot the "million dollar depth charge":thumbsup:

Have you heard of a configuration with one single Sparrow aft of empty front Phoenix launch pallets? I doubt that very much, seems not very sensible (ejection and launching wise). It would be nice to hear some professional view.

Thanks Paul.

I forgot the "million dollar depth charge":D

Have you heard of a configuration with one single Sparrow aft of empty front Phoenix launch pallets? I doubt that very much, seems not very sensible (ejection and launching wise). It would be nice to hear some professional view.

Putting a Sparrow on the aft station was legal and we did it all the time during Desert Storm, we flew 3x2x2 during the war.

Reddog

we flew 3x2x2 during the war.

Just to be on the safe side - this is 3x AIM-7 (two on the wing pylons and one in the aft tunnel), 2x AIM-9 on the wing pylons and 2x AIM-54 on the forward fuselage pallets, right?

Cheers,

Andre