Don't listen to them! The rudder is a giant blabbermouth!

You even think about putting cement to plastic and it'll tell all the Tamiya kits in your stash... and... well...

Once Tamiya starts gossiping, EVERYBODY will know about it!

:crying2:

Patrick, I've been lucky enough to get a copy of the Junkers Technical Manuals (parts and pieces, but key parts, and key pieces) of the Ju 87 Stuka (which incidentally, mine has taken a huge step forward - the fuselage halves are finally glued together). I have found a number of different sources for the Fw 190, but alas, I've yet been able to track down a good piece of the manuals (especially given that the cost of some of these items is staggering at times (and truly unwarrented as people out there seem to think that if they get a copy for themselves, that they believe they have "copyright" control over these items and can charge and arm and a leg for them... frankly, unless you worked for Junkers or affiliates, get over yourselves... anyway, where was I, right, getting back to the subject matter... given the cost, I end up just sitting on the net for an hour or two with a couple cups of coffee and search for the results, usually finding them. The 190's a popular aircraft in this respect - trying to find technical data on the Stuka was a different matter altogether.

Hah. I got mine from an Australian source: military-aircraft-photos on eBay, gentleman name of Gerry if this is any use. Think he was about $20 or so for the Wulf stuff, seemed reasonable at the time. Alas, so have many of his other references since then :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing this build. Does this GB rock or what?

Patrick, it was the same person that I was talking about.

All that aside though, focusing on the 190, I did get the project another boost forward (even before it started). Got my greedy little fingers on the last of all the fun stuff I wanted to get on it. Finalizing everything here's what's coming to help with this build - and a prime example of what happens when you've got too much time on your hands...:

Books:

- Ospray - Building the Fw 190

- FW 190 SUPER-DETAILED: Construction, Transformation, Painting, Weathering (Histoire and Collections; 1st edition (June 2006))

- Squadron Fw 190 A/F Walk Around

- Sturmstaffel 1: Reich Defence 1943-1944 the War Diary

- Gotterdammerung: Luftwaffe Wrecks and Relics (from Brett Green)

- Fw 190 Vol. II from Kagero Publishing, Poland

Aftermarket:

- Jerry Rutmans Landing Gear &Wheel Well set & Seat

- Eduard Luftwaffe Seatbelts

- Eduard Fw 190 Instrument Bezels

If you're building anything in 1/24 and want to make life a bit easier - the Eduard Seatbelts are really something of their own, highly recommend these.

Aside from all this, the warping is worse than I thought... the fuselage is twisted. Its only about 4-6 degree's, but when you put the fuselage half up and look down the fuselage length, you can see the vertical stabilizer twist. Wouldn't be bad if the other half would counter this, but it twists in the same direction - a wee bit of cutting and chopping, twisting and swearing I'm thinking.

Anywho, Mark, that's why I don't store WIP's, or kits I'm about to start next to the other ones collecting dust - jealousy runs amazingly high among kits.

Happy modelling all!

Mark.

Found out finally for sure, at least as good of an answer as I'm going to get - Aircraft that Gerth flew that day was "White 2" work can now continue on getting as many shots of that particular a/c as possible.

The strange thing about the Sturmstaffel is how irregular aircraft usage/assignment was. At first I thought that there was no chance it was White 1, as that aircraft would have been left for the Commander, however, the good Commander of Sturmstaffel 1 rarely flew on combat missions. As odd as it was to learn that, it then began to make sense that Gerth could have indeed flown in this aircraft on that day. Going through combat reports, maintenance reports and so forth of the Sturmstaffel diaries from March of 1944, White 1 was damaged and went in for repairs. Reading between the lines in the combat report, two things came to light - Gerth wasn't damaged, and the only aircraft that was reported as damaged, but repairable that flew with Gerth on that day, had the W.Nr. of White 1 - it couldn't have been Gerth.

By trying to figure out by process of elimination which a/c flew that day, White 2 did fly and was the only a/c that I couldn't find information either blatantly stated which pilot flew it, or hinted at it. It's not 100%, but, as the 6th was well written as a very successful day, there was a lot of information there and in other areas that helped figure out who was flying what. Best I can tell, Gerth was in White 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm likely a coulpe weeks or so away from starting the 190... I'm more and more tempted to start it near the end of the build with the Stuka, only because I want to get it finished in time for the end of this GB... especially when a few nice things arrived...

Got the last of the two books ordered and the Eduard Seatbelts and Instrument Bezels in today. All that's left are the dry transfers from HobbyDecal and Jerry Rutmans parts.

Ooohhh that Radial Engine and cockpit are calling out my name, I can hear it from here... its getting louder and louder.

Well, after seeing what you're doing with that Stuka I'm jonesin' for some 190 action, get to it!!! :pray:

Well, a bit of a spoiler? Sure, why not?

Even though it wasn't the BMW's, I used to work on rebuilding and overhauling P&W 2800's, and have always loved, and I mean it, LOVED working on Radials, whether in kit form, or the real deal. I've got a feeling that we're all going to take a quick boo inside at least one of the A-6's BMW pots... why not show what a push rod looks like? One difference between the 190 and Stuka... I'm going to keep all the panels and who knows... maybe after the GB and the 190 is done, I might go back some day and make a diorama out of this one. A maintenance scene for a Sturmstaffel 1 190? ANYWAY, plans are underway for this one and very soon we'll have the very first "Look what I'm building today!" post.

Thank you Sean,

And you just made my night! I keep hitting up your guys' website... this is worse than being a young kid waiting for Christmas! First I want to see the Hurricane - both of them... then the Mustang... oh and I HAVE to see the Corsair agian, can't miss that. Then to the Spitfire... and oh... oh... THERE'S SO MANY! SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME!!!

Edited by Kostucha

Well folks, work has... officially started on the 190! Yay.

Tonight is the perfect night - Domestic 9'er is out with the little guy at the barn tonight, and I just finished cleaning up the house... so between things drying on the Stuka, I pulled out the 190 fuselage and I'm starting to cut out all the panels that will be opened up. More pictures later on tonight along with another Stuka update.

What I'm really happy about is I think that the initial idea as to the markings of this Sturmstaffel aircraft is indeed what I thought originally - White 1. I found something very interesting...

Hptm. Wilhelm Moritz on the Sturmstaffel shortly after it was split up and the successful idea of their tactics was extended to other units:

"When I took over the leadership of the Sturmstaffel at Salzwedel, the two ranking officers of the unit, von Kornatzki and Bascila, were not fit for action; one was ill, the other wounded. I have to admit that my relationship with these two officers was not the best because I had the impression that that they allowed their Staffel to go into action without their leadership. This was not acceptable practice for responsible officers. In their absence, Lt. Gerth led the Staffel on operations."

I think the riddle is answered as to who was flying White 1 on that day.

Well, it's hardly worth the post, but, I did say I'd be cutting while paint on the Stuka parts was drying... not much paint to dry tonight...

Started with the Fuselage. Here you can see what's marked out for cutting:

DSC02353.jpg

Nothing too fancy, just regularely accessible access hatches. So, started with the LH fuselage cutting off the main part up front, to get a good feel for this plastic... and thankfully it is as expected - nice and soft:

DSC02354.jpg

Next up will be cutting out the remainder of the access panels and hatches, then mapping out inside where all the framing is and moving on from there. Fairly simple indeed so far.

More later, but until then, Happy Modeling!

Mark.

Thank you very much gents. A quick shot of what I'm using for reference material. As well there are the Eduard belts and dials. Only thing missing is the HobbyDecal dry transfers and Jerry Rutmans' parts:

DSC02358.jpg

Things are coming along well though I must say, I'll do like with the Stuka and give a good honest review of all these books once the build is done. Thanks again everyone!

Mark.

Thank you very much gents. A quick shot of what I'm using for reference material. As well there are the Eduard belts and dials. Only thing missing is the HobbyDecal dry transfers and Jerry Rutmans' parts:

DSC02358.jpg

Things are coming along well though I must say, I'll do like with the Stuka and give a good honest review of all these books once the build is done. Thanks again everyone!

Mark.

You sure are taking no risks on this one!! Impressive library, I used the top two books and they are excellent, also falling apart now :doh:

Rick

DSC02358.jpg

Mark.

What? You didn't pick up "Pimp my 190"?

Mike,

"Pimp my 190" isn't available in Canada yet unfortunately! Spinners on the main wheels, pounding sound system behind the cockpit seat, 8 inch tach on the dash of the cockpit, limo tint on the windows, lower the landing gear by 3 feet and making it a low rider... oh, it'll would be a great time! Unfortunately I'm going to have to hold out and go with the traditional style of build.

So, now gears have shifted again, "White 1" flown after February of 1944 onwards was an Fw 190 A-7, not an A-6. This is awesome - better reference material (and more of it) out there. Having full confirmation that this particular aircraft had the 2 MG's in the nose and that they weren't removed and ports covered over. Add on Armour was apparently painted separately before going onto the fuselage, either way, the mottled pattern colour break up didn't match the fuselage at all, which will give a great interesting look. Aside all that, and the armoured glass, it's the same ole A-7. External munitions will include the ETC with modified drop tank. Whether this allows me to open up the hatches underneath to expose the ammo boxes and chutes for the nose mounted MG's I'm unsure yet. Hopefully it will.

Anywho, tonight is a busy night and I'm sure that no modeling is going to be done, but progress will continue soon. Game plan being simply to continue with prepping the fuselage and mapping out the internal framing. Once that is done, then it's onto the Cockpit... the good ole office. Looking at the details here, I've simply decided to scratch build this one from the beginning.

Thanks everyone!

Mark.

Finished reading through "Focke Wulf Fw 190" last night - the book that is most top and right in the picture... WOW. I mean, WOW. If you're only going to look at one book and one book alone for reference material for building any scale of an Fw 190 A/F GET THIS ONE!!! I'm not trying to sell anything here, the reason that I've got that many books for this build is that up until this one, there were a lot of missing areas. The Sturmstaffel 1 war diary is needed for obvious reasons - details on the subject matter I'm doing and its Pilot. Gotterdammerung has great info about colours used - its a great general reference book for a few Luftwaffe aircraft. The other model detail books are great for hints, tips and tricks to get your model looking very realistic, but this book... wow...

Amazing detail in the text, the translation is very well written from Polish to English. It's also written to be read (as in, it's an enjoyable read, very easy to understand even though it is chalk full of technical information). The pictures are all helpful (some books will simply put in pictures to fill space that don't really apply to what is being read, or are pretty much duplicate pictures showing the same thing on different aircraft). The pictures here all show good images that get into the detail of what the reader/model builder wants to see. The illustrated technical diagrams are excellent, especially if you see the image of the tail wheel assembly. And then there are the techinical line drawings... HOLY CRAP!

1/72, 1/48 and 1/24! The line drawins are there for ALL versions of the A's and F's. Detail is given as to what changes have been made from one variant to the next. If that's no enough, blown up areas (in 1/24) show everything from the BMW radial, wiring, instrument panel layout, control column layout, proper angles on the landing gear, ETC 501 rack, canopy information, parts layout and electrical wiring in the rear portion of the fuselage.

Gentelmen, this book is amazing! Between it and the Squadron Walk Around, you've got everything on the A/F's covered.

Now, does anyone want the decals that came with the book? Free to a good home... PM me and they're yours

Edited by Kostucha

Your reference book came with decals???

Is that something common? First I've heard of it. But then, I don't buy too many reference books.

Edited by Mark M.