F-22 Raptor Paint Colors

I'd like to paint a F-22 Raptor but it seems that the paint has a metallic look to it. On a previous build I used 36176 and 32251 as directed. It looks good but doesn't match the photos.

Has anyone tried painting a base coat of chrome silver and then applied tinted clear coats over top to try to match a semi-metallic finish? Similar to candy colors on cars.

I use Testors MM but you can't tint their gloss coat which is a laquer with the colors from their MM line.

Is there a paint line that uses the same base ie: enamel, laquer or arcrylic for both the colors and the clear coats?

Habu:

Thanks for the reply. Yep it's not going to be easy. I though say taking the correct color grey in a paint line and adding it to the clear coat to tint the clear coat would work but I'm not sure.

The other alternative is to take a sample of the colors to a do-it-yourself store and see if the guy behind the counter in paints would run it through the paint analyzer. Then use info and the clear colors in tamiya paint line to tint the clear coat.

I'm not sure it would work but thought I'd ask to see if anyone had already done it.

Mark

PS I haven't forgot the .dwg files for you just been extremely busy.

I am trying for the same effect on my "unpainted" F-22. Some of the bare-metal/primer (?) areas have the same semi-reflective sheen as the gray birds. I had thought of using laquer paint to tint MM Metalizer. Hopefully I can get some time to try it this weekend.

Habu: Sounds like a good idea as well. I may give that a shot if the Metalizer doesn't work.

cd_jakevas: It's a mixed bag. Some things (vert stabs., front fuse., etc.) fit very well (assemble the top fuselage parts before putting the halves together). Other things not so well, especially if you want the weapons bays and other open doors/panels to be closed. I replaced the topside panels with sheet stock and were I to do it again I'd do the same with the weapon bay doors. It also seemed on mine that the lower main fuselage/wing piece had shrunk a small bit. I had to glue these pieces together a couple inches at a time to get the edges to line up and was left with wings that have a slight bulge or bow to the top surface - very noticeable from a front view. The intakes are a PITA and requred some cut sheet and lots of precise filling to fill in ~1/8" gaps left at the top inner join of the inlet pieces. The cockpit is very rudimentary and not very accurate (understandable) although the seat is passable. Aftermarket or scratchbuilt is the way to go here although from looking at the instruction sheet the Eduard set's cockpit isn't completely accurate either (I didn't use it). All in all it is a kit that requires more than average work to get a clean build but looks good if you put in the effort.

Mark,

having seen and photographed the real thing up close (I don't know if Steve has archived the photos in the Walkaround section yet), tinting would be the best way to go. Some of the sections, like the nose gear door, looked more like a tinted coat on bare metal, rather than paint. Other sections appeared like normal paint though. All in all, it looks to be a real pain to get a good effect. FWIW, paints like Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo allow you to thin them enough to get a tint effect.

Regards,

Murph

Thanks All. I'm going to experiment on a test aircraft before trying it on the F-22. I like the idea of thinning down the paint an using as a tint.

Murph I downloaded your pics when I saw them on ARC. Thanks

I'll let you folks know how it works out and if possible post a pic.

Mark