1/48 vs 1/32

Anyone else prefer 1/48 WWII props? I hope companies keep making new kits in this scale and don't just focus on 1/32.

While I build all scales from time to time, I really prefer 1/48 for WWII a/c. I have recently bought some 1/32 WWI kits, but except for the P-40 which is my favorate a/c I don't have any that I have bought. (got a 1/32 P-36 from my wife). Most WWI single engine a/c in 1/32 are not much bigger than a 1/48 WWII a/c and rigging is much easier.

Many interesting a/c such as the XP-40, XP-42 and YB-7 are only avalable in 1/72 resin, but they are very small and are a chore to build in that scale. The YP-37 in 1/48 is much easier and more detailed than the 1/72 bird. I might have to try some 1/48 armor as I haven't built any armor in a long time and there are some interesting kits out now.

Mark

My take on it comes directly from a close friend who builds only 1/32nd scale or larger. His point on this is that if you choose to build a larger scale, both exquisite detail and stupid mistakes are amplified. You can WOW folks with your work if you are a craftsman who has the basics nailed. However, if you still build models with glue fingerprints, dust in the finish, and unfilled seams, it's going to show all that much more in the larger scales.

My sentiments exactly. Scale is about preference. Skill is as individual as fingerprints and a beautiful subject can be done in 1/144th all the way up to 1/24th. My skills are in 72nd scale and I know that if I scaled up I'd need to change my skill-set. There's the wallet thingy, too...

Tim

but all my model buddies are telling me 1/48 is crap and 1/32 is the new biggest growing scale and it is the best scale.

If all your modeling buddies told you RLM 70/71 was really pink and purple would you beleive them also? :)

You can find plenty of very old (some from the early 1950s) kits with extremely fine engraved surface detail. It's expensive to do that

Talking of which, I've been meaning to ask - how do they engrave panel lines? Do they push out the kit of the mould and add the lines afterwards, or are the lines in the mould already, presumably as finely raised details?

Talking of which, I've been meaning to ask - how do they engrave panel lines? Do they push out the kit of the mould and add the lines afterwards, or are the lines in the mould already, presumably as finely raised details?

The lines are already in the mold- because the mold is a negative of the part they are raised in the mold (steel surface).

As a consequence- Recessed lines in your models increases risk in tool making and thus- cost. If you want to modify the tool to change the panel lines, you can mill them off easily enough but adding them in involves adding steel to the mold, risky.

Raised panel lines are recessed in the mold surface. Easier to add (machine in) and easier to remove (fill in).

Long time reader, first time poster... this is as good a topic as any for the 1st post! :monkeydance:

Here's my 2 cents on the topic:

I don't think an Me 109 is the best plane to judge what scale you want your modeling career to go. If you park one next to, say, a Corsiar the thing looks like a toy. So, if you think a 1/32 109 looks like a nice size for you, just wait till you want to build that B-29 or F-14!!! -Just something to think about.

Here's why I like mainly 1/48:

- The small planes aren't that small and the big ones aren't too big (as stated ^)

- There's a great selection of subjects - you can find a lot more odd ball stuff than you can in larger scales which you'll appreciate later in your career

- 1/48 is 1" = 4' nice and easy. -- What's the deal with 1/35 anyway??? It's a scratch building nightmare! Figures... armor people! j/k

- There's a growing selection of 1/48 AFV's which is good for diorama time

--thanx

All very good points. I don't mind 1/48th and there is alot of kits available. The other issue is 1/32nd you need to get seat belts from Eduard and no one hobby store in my whole province carries this stuff, not anymore any how. And living in Canada is cost me way too much to order from the the U.S. online hobby distributors. But in 1/48th I have a guy here in the city next to me (Guelph Ontario) and he owns Ultracast and makes and sells resin seats with belts molded on for pretty much every WWII plane, plus he does exhaust, wheels, etc. So I have no problem getting this stuff and it is fairly cheap $9.95 Canadian for a pack of 2 seats (ie: FW190 seats 2 in a pack) so this makes me want to go 1/48th. But then on the other hand everyone is raving about 1/32 like the Hasegawa P-40, BF109 and FW190 kits and I love german aircraft.

I was looking at in box reviews on the net of Has 1/48 and 1/32 Bf109/Fw190 kits and they all look pretty nice and the same but I did notice in the 1/32 scale kits the wheels had tread marks molded in and the 1/48th they looked like they did not, don't understand that.

It would also be nice if Has and other companies would make a deal with someone like Eduard and put seat belts in their 1/32 kits and up the price $10, I would sure be happy.

Again I think it is all personal preference and where you live and are located and what is available to you. I too live in Cananda and have the same issue. My big city is Toronto Ontario and the model shops arounds use to stock lots of resin and photo etch and detail sets and decals. Now they only stock kits (and not as much as they use to) and paint and supplies, but as far as Eduard photo etch and things like that they just don't stock them.

IMHO I think 1/32 is really nice, but 1/48 there is more kits available, you can really detail up 1/48 also, and there is lots of detail sets and there is also that Ultracast guy, I know what you mean, he makes great stuff. And the bonus is that you can buy a package of 1/48 prop seats (ie: FW190) and you get 2 seats in a pack for $9.95, so it only cost you $5.00 on top of the kit price and you have a nice resin detailed seat. Or you buy a 1/32 FW190 and order Eduard photo etch from somewhere on line in the states and end up paying $25+ once it gets to you.

I am suprised more people have not responded to this subject as I know 1/48 is a very popular scale and those other great guys should be adding there 2 cents on the topic of the benefits etc of 1/48 scale props.

Come guys, chime in!!!

What's the deal with 1/35 anyway??? It's a scratch building nightmare! Figures... armor people! j/k

The legend is that it dates from Tamiya's first motorised kit - to fit a standard motor, they made the hull 1/35. Can't remember what tank it was, mind you. You might think that with all the compromises that motorisation entailed, true scale fidelity needn't have been a major goal ... I couldn't possibly comment.

I wouldn't mind 1/32 armour instead of 1/35. It makes precious little difference in the end and, if you like that sort of thing, you can mix-and-match easier for dioramas. Airfix did try about 30 years ago but, even back then, 1/35 was already too dominant. But as I don't mix-and-match and can't scratch-build for toffee, it's okay.