1/25 Caprice Classic police car.

Well, actually it's going to be a Sheriff's car, not that there is alot of difference. This model will be my first patrol car, which was a 1990 Chevy Caprice Classic. I drove #608 from 94-96, and she was quite a car. Most every American cop will agree (if they date back a bit) that the Caprice was the best patrol vehicle built. They were fast, handled well, and were built like a tank. They certainly were lacking in the looks department, and were called several names ("the double bubble" and "tylonol with a light bar") but that odd shape seemed to make the car stick to the road the faster it went. They were the last of the Detroit big iron cars, and the sound of that 350 V8 was really reassuring when your back-up was coming down the road. Anyway, the kit is a Revell snap-tight Taxi cab/ Chicago fire car. I got an aftermarket Smith and Wesson light bar, and will build the interior to match my car.

Pre build pic......

c.jpg

Cars go together faster than planes. Interior painted, seat in. Undercarrige, exhaust and engine done. I scratched a cage out of Evergreen stock and some clear plastic. We ran the spring loaded sliders which slide up at the pull of an inconviently mounted release. Start on the radios and shotgun/mount next.

caprice2.jpg

Nice project of a very underrated car.

A good friend of mine had a '96 Impala SS that would outrun nearly anything on the street. Broke her heart when she was forced to sell it a few years ago.

I had a lot of friends on the force that loved the Chevy but wished they could put in the seat from the Crown Vic. It was more butt-friendly for a long shift.

I-16,

You reckon they were good, look what Holden (GMs Australian counterpart) has produced for your current guys;

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/44063/che...ally-revealed/#

These are being looked at to replace the Ford Victorias you have been using. Being a cop over in Oz, we can't even get these. These V8 beasts go like the clappers!

Looking forward to seeing your build.

Regards

Andrew :thumbsup:

Edited by Andrew Doppel
  • 3 weeks later...

More progress. Interior together, shotgun mounted in the passenger footwell, Kustom "Trooper" radar on the dash, and radios on the transmission tunnel. I painted the body, and striped it with Tamiya Blackgreen, which seems to be pretty close. Picture is of the original car, with my youngest getting mud on the seat. He's grown a little since then, playing varsity football now!

That Holden looks like quite a vehicle. Weve been looking at the Dodge Chargers as replacement for the Vic's when they go away. Well made, and very fast.

caprice4.jpg

caprice3.jpg

I haven't checked around, but is there a place to get lightbars for models? I saw a pretty good facimile of one made out of a popsicle stick to simulate a newer LED bar, but my bar is clear unless lit. I can't think of any clear plastic bits that are shaped correctly.

I have been thinking about picking up the Charger kit from Hobby Lobby or Michaels the next time my wife drags me out there. I am looking forward to the end result of this one I-16. I never was issued a caprice, but drove many as pool cars. My former department had some 94 LT1's, and even some really really pathetic 95 model's with the 4.3 (or was it 4.8 litre?) V8. What a dog that POS was. Besides the poor turning circle, I think they were a better cruiser. BUT, I am not gonna trade in my Hemi Charger, unless they let me try out a new V8 Caprice.....

policecarmodels.com has a good selection of the "popular" lightbars in use today. They also carry some of the older rotator bars from yester-year like the Smith and Wesson which I'm putting on this model. That bar made more noise from the rotator motors than the siren. Ahhh the Charger, I demoed one a couple years back in an attempt to sell the Sheriff on them, but we kept with the Vics due to budget constraints. That car was quick. We had 2 LT1's prior to switching to Fords, and that was quite a car. Chevy got it all right for one year, then discontinued the line. I started in law enforcement when the Dodge Diplomat was still in use, 366 with a 4 bbl, I believe. They made a distinct sound when you got on it, which meant help was getting close.

CH

Hey I-16, this is coming out great.

i've read that the new lindberg charger police car kits are going to include 8 different light bar options in them. so when that kit gets released (hopefully before Christmas) maybe you can pick up a more accurate lightbar. just some food for thought.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

About there. The next step will be to try to replicate our (old) star for the door. I have some letter head with the star on it, and need to turn it into a decal some how. Never done that before. New tricks for old dogs...

caprice5.jpg