Here is my work so far on my 3rd entry....Tamiya's 35th scale Challenger 1(Mk.3)

I've been working on this one since I got back from vacation in August, but it's been one of those builds that just goes together and I forgot to get some pics.

challenger1_1.jpg

Here's the chassis so far, it's almost complete as you can see. I just need to add the forward reactive armor and some minor details (two points, etc) and the side skirts.

challenger1_2.jpg

This, obviously, is the turret. I just need to cut the mesh for the baskets and attach them and the command station and give it one final blast of MM "British Gulf Armor Light Stone"

Edited by paul.nortness
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here it is!

challenger1_7.jpg

challenger1_8.jpg

challenger1_9.jpg

challenger1_10.jpg

I used Model Master "British Gulf Armor Light Stone" acrylic for paint, I like the color....it came out with a much more yellowish shade than the tan/biege US desert color I am used to. Then, I used a sludge wash mixing "Olive Brown Dark" chalk pastel and water and a drop of liquid soap. I let this drop completely. Then using a moist paper towel, began wiping until I got an effect I like. The stowage came from an Italeri M113 and a Trumpeter Stryker

Thanks Gregg.

It's the same weathering technique I use on my aircraft (albiet a little dirtier....I usually wipe the aircraft completely clean leaving a panel line and a light "grunge")....I think it applies itself much better to armor than aircraft. It just gives it a little more "pop" around some of the smaller parts and gives it a lived in look. I like to imagine my subjects out in the middle of the desert for a while before going back to base camp and getting a washing.