This is my first attempt at a WWI aircraft and I went for the D.H.2 by Revell in 1/72. The kit is rather old, from 1987 and lacks very much in detail. The lewis gun didn´t look anything like a lewis so I scratchbuilt a new one from plastic strip and rod + some photo etched parts from Tom´s Modelworks.The drum magazine is waaaay oversize, I know. I´m going to fix it some time in the future (read: not likely going to fix it).

I also did all the rigging with super glue, a .2 mm drill (tamiya) and .2 fishing line. I see now that the rigging is too big for scale, but what the heck: it was my first try. :stooges: Next time I´ll use lycra thread. it was actually rather fun to rig this petite model, and I´ll gladly do it again.

The base is made of some cardboard painted with tamyia red brown followed by a layer of thinned PVA-glue. Then I added static grass and let it dry. Finally I drybrushed the grass with tamyia´s yellow. Hope you guys will enjoy the pictures. Critique is always welcome.

121020091448.jpg

121020091455.jpg

121020091458.jpg

121020091452.jpg

121020091449.jpg

121020091454.jpg

... D.H.2 by Revell in 1/72. The kit is rather old, from 1987 ...

Older than that sir, I remember that kit being around in the 60s.

So all the more respect for what you've done with it. Great model! :thumbsup::worship:

WHAT?!?!?!? The kit is THAT old? Oh my! Could it be that it was reboxed in 1987? the 60s is some time before I was even thought of. hehe. Thanks for the info MikeC.

Thanks for all the kind words, people. They surely warm an old heart in winter time. :worship:

Since the kit is that old, I just want to say a little about it´s construction. It was very straight forward really. The struts between the upper and lower wing are ALL the right length. I needed no fiddling around with them at all to make them fit into their locating holes on either the upper or bottow wings. The lower wing fits very nicely with the .....eh.....cockpit area and no filler is needed. The upper wing comes in one part and was straight, and almost totally free of flash. The only filler/zap-a-gap/sanding needed is under the lower wign where you glue the tail spars to their locating grooves. I was a first time WWI modeller and had no problems with it. Trust me when I say that I´m no modelling genious, and if I can do it, so can the rest of you. So go ahead, and get this set at your local hobby store.

If you want to try your hand at something a little (okay, a LOT) bigger, keep an eye out for Airfix's 1/72 Handley Page O/400. It's not perfect, but it actually has most of the rigging holes pre-drilled. Even though it's big, it's really quite builder-friendly, and will DEFINITELY give you some rigging practice.

Just a thought. Keep up the good work.

BRILLAINT workmanship !!!

Love the coloring and the rigging...NICE !!! :) :lol:

I Agree with Holmes ... I so admire all you guys that do these builds with all that rigging involved ... :)

I'd get confused ... :)

Beautiful Build ! :yahoo:

Gregg

:whistle:, G'day kayser,

Your D.H. 2 is a work of art. I think you have already critiqued your work so no need for anyone else to do it. That's a beautiful model you have there mate. Your sure have made a silk purse from a sow's ear, although to give Revell their due, as you say most things were accurate to the point except for the Lewis gun, which probably suffered from the bean counters pen. I think I have one of those somewhere in my stash so in the coming clean up I'm going to have shortly I might just have to pull it out and give the plastic a good fondling :yahoo: . I also like your base; to think it was made of something so simple as cardboard. That stuff has a lot of uses that we just don't think of most of the time. I'm going to be using some good thick stiff cardboard to make templates for the inside of my old caravan when I renovate as soon as my recovering ankle (broken in an incident at work) becomes strong enough.

:banana:,

Ross.

Lucien: Have you built that kit from Airfix? If you have, have you posted some pics I could have a look at? This WWI kit definitely gave me a craving for more. Pre-drilled rigging holes is cheating! haha, just kidding. :nanner:

Ross: The piece of cardboard I used was the piece that was backing the photo etch fret I used to detail the Lewis-gun. It was so straight and felt robust enough to be used for a small base. It´s the same kind of cardboard in as you´ll find in most photo etch detailing kits. Hope your ankle is well soon. :woo:

Grey Ghost: I found pictires of the D.H.2 before I started rigging and trust me: It was rather confusing to try and find out which wires went where. But take your time, study the photos patiently and remember that if you do something wrong, it´s not a big deal to set it straight. I´m sure you´ll like it once you´ve experiemented for a few minutes. Give a go, mate! :jaw-dropping:

kayser- Unfortunately, no, I haven't built the Airfix Handley Page yet. I've done a few dry-fits of the major pieces (fuselage and wings) and everything seems to match up relatively nicely. Of course, it IS an older Airfix, so there's probably going to be some minor fit issues with some of the parts. I can get a couple of in-box shots, if you want.

Or, you could try your hand at something a bit more difficult that THAT:

ilyadone.jpg

ilyadone5.jpg

Note, this is the POS Maquette Ilya Muromets, not the easier-to-build ICM kit. Also, it's my second biplane ever. If you're interested, here's the build thread.

CLICKY

Lucien: Thanks for the photos and the tread link. Wow, that´s really a complicated looking construction. I must say that I don´t know if i´m quite there yet. hehe. The thread is saved for future reference. I know it´s gonna be helpful on later projects. :thumbsup: I wounldn´t mind a few in-box photos either. I´ve been looking at some of the Chorosky releases, since they have decal options for, at the time, fledgeling Norwegian airforce, but we´ll see. Again, thanks for the material you provided on your AWESOME build.