Testors/Aztek Side Feed Cup Problem...

G'day Mates,

I have one of the original Testors/Aztek (black) airbrushes. Doesn't get used often, but I clean it religiously after use. After shooting Future for the first time recently, I noticed the next time that I went to use the brush, I could not get paint to come out. I was able to get the drops of lacquer thinner to spray easily through the nozzle when placed in the side feed inlet. I thought that it must be a problem with the 1 cc side feed paint cup that I use. I cleaned it with lacquer thinner, straight ammonia and Windex. I also made sure that the air vent hole in the cap was clear. Wondering if it was a nozzle problem, I took apart all of my nozzles as directed here. I was surpised at how much gunk was in the tip... I tried yesterday to use the airbrush again - same problem. On a lark, I tried one of the larger "Badger" style paint bottles that I have, and the paint flowed right through. I was able to narrow the problem down to the paint cup. I cleaned the inside of the paint cup with lacquer thinner, then took sections of pipe cleaners dipped in lacquer thinner to clear out any clogs within the feed tube of the paint cup. The pipe cleaner only went through so far - not all the way to the inner cup of the vessel. Anyone ever have this experience? I know that this is an inexpensive part, and easy to order on-line. Just wondered if my experience is unique? Thanks.

David

David, It sure sounds like that side tube is blocked, although with all the cleaning you have done it seems impossible. Can you blow air through it from the outside with your mouth or some other source of air...compressor? Can you see any light coming through if you shine a light into the paint cup itself?

I'd try running a pin or needle through and see if you can open it up. Then maybe pipe cleaners might make it through.

hth

Bob

You're using the two-part cup, correct? That's what the side-feed cup is. Take it apart; either the top cup is clogged, or the "channel" inside the lower cup is gunked up.

Also, those side feed cups really don't work well, unless you've got the pressure dialed way up. The gravity feed cups work a lot better. Since it's obviously the side-feed cup that is the problem, either clean it out or switch to a different cup.

:thumbsup:

Mike

I'll echo what Mike said. I never had any luck with those goofy black two-piece cup-things. The simple white cups are bulletproof, though! Not strictly on topic but related, if any of you Aztek-users have a Hobby Lobby nearby, be sure to check their clearance aisle for Aztek nozzles. I've bought them as low as $2 in the past.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your responses and input. Aside from the cap, it is an orginal one piece all black cup. I looked at all of the local hobby/art supply stores without success. I am going to try one of the "Blick" stores here in Philadelphia after work tonight. The frugal(cheap) side of me just can't spend $9 on shipping for a $3 dollar part(LOL). :rolleyes:

David

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your responses and input. Aside from the cap, it is an orginal one piece all black cup. I looked at all of the local hobby/art supply stores without success. I am going to try one of the "Blick" stores here in Philadelphia after work tonight. The frugal(cheap) side of me just can't spend $9 on shipping for a $3 dollar part(LOL). :)

David

Maybe the inability to clean it is why the changed the design (if they did) of the side-feed cup in order to be able to take it apart. I still suspect a clog, and would submerge it in thinner overnight to see what happens.

:worship:

Mike