1/32nd scale ground crewman.

Hello peeps,

Here's a peek at the start of some paintwork on a little dude to pose around my finished Tomcat.

I read somewhere that painting figures is like getting dressed, start with the skin and work out....so, I started with the flesh tones on the head.

tn_Groundcrewhead011a.jpg

I used GW Chaos Black spray primer and basecoated the face with tanned flesh. For the eyes I used light grey and then black for the iris and pupil

I then dry-brushed a lighter shade of flesh from the bottom of the face toward the forehead and finally the lightest shade from the top down.

What I've discovered about dry-brushing is that paint consistency is just as important as it is for airbrushing.

In the past I thought that unthinned paint would give the best results being "drier" than thinned paint. When I dry-brushed with this consistency the work appeared bitty and grainy.

On this piece, I thinned the paint so that it was even thinner than I'd use through my airbrush. I wiped most of the paint off and then dry-brushed the highlights. What I found to my surprise was the same colour depth as before but a much smoother transition between colours.

He looks a bit tanned but I guess he's seen some sun in the middle of the ocean :thumbsup:

I've got to try to pick out his 'tache and eyebrows next but the trouble is, I can't see what I'm doing even with a magnifier so I'm guessing with most of this :)

Cheers,

:jaw-dropping:

Edited by geedubelyer

Woa, Guy, it's though, very intertaining. I suspect your Tomcat makes you feel boring again and form time to time you leave her on the shelf switching to some other easy-to-build and funny things like those figures. ;)

BTW, the head looks very very nice. Seems that poor guy had sun baths for a long time with no use of the sunblock. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Alexander.

:rofl:

Seems that poor guy had sun baths for a long time with no use of the sunblock. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Alexander.

:lol:

Ha,ha,......you're right Alexander, he does look a little toastie!

Yes, I think I should do something about that. I know these guys see some sun but he looks like he's wearing bottled tan.

Ok, so here is version #2

tn_Groundcrewhead017.jpg

tn_Groundcrewhead013.jpg

tn_Groundcrewhead019.jpg

tn_Groundcrewhead015.jpg

tn_Groundcrewhead016.jpg

Looks like he's got a little food caught in his 'tache,.....(at least I hope it's food..... :unsure: )

I'm not sure why but this fellow reminds me of the movie star Ewan McGregor :blink:

So his hat is next. Reddog has been kind enough to explain the ins and outs of the various colours worn so this guy will be a Plane Captain with a brown "cranuim".

More of that next time.

:cheers:

Zoiks! The 'little dude' looks like some large scale stuff I've seen (nice paint work!)...and the raised 'fully aware' eyebrow expression does look "McGregor-ish"! :cheers: The (as yet) black cranial/goggles reminds me of 1930's/40/s Buck Rogers stuff, and would compliment some 'steam punk' model work nicely, as well as (eventually) what you're putting together for this project.

Have you given any thought to other figures for your final display? Between the Acad. Hornet & the Tamiya Black Knights kit there are a few to pick from...one of my personal faves though, is the AF ground crew "behemoth" guy (in scale 6'6", 300 Lb., or so) from the Acad. F-16 kit...(I got one if ya' need 'im... :rolleyes: ).

Really nice figure painting (that guy is clearly 'looking' at something), and thanks for the paint thinning tip - I just picked up some acrylic retarder, but have yet to try it out...

:unsure:

- Rob

:lol:

Ha,ha,......you're right Alexander, he does look a little toastie!

Ok, so here is version #2

tn_Groundcrewhead015.jpg

Looks like he's got a little food caught in his 'tache,.....(at least I hope it's food..... :) )

Now he looks much better. This pic shows natural shade and the eyes look 'living'. Very nice paint work. But I think your Ewan was in a rush to the flight deck so as he didn't wash away a shaving foam residue from his 'tache. :)

Cheers!

Alexander.

:)

Zoiks! The 'little dude' looks like some large scale stuff I've seen (nice paint work!)...and the raised 'fully aware' eyebrow expression does look "McGregor-ish"! The (as yet) black cranial/goggles reminds me of 1930's/40/s Buck Rogers stuff, and would compliment some 'steam punk' model work nicely, as well as (eventually) what you're putting together for this project.

Have you given any thought to other figures for your final display? Between the Acad. Hornet & the Tamiya Black Knights kit there are a few to pick from...one of my personal faves though, is the AF ground crew "behemoth" guy (in scale 6'6", 300 Lb., or so) from the Acad. F-16 kit...(I got one if ya' need 'im....

- Rob

Hey Rob, I hear you on the SteamPunk idea. These blacked out goggles look so cool!

At a recent show last weekend I picked up two Academy figure packs thinking that I'd snagged a new product......turns out they are the figures from their F-18 & F-16 kits :woot.gif:

I understand what you mean by "Behemoth" though :lol: ...who ate all the pies? :D Thanks for the offer bro', much appreciated.

I'll paint the big dude up as an Airforce guy with orange Hi-Viz tunic on. (I'm guessing he's in winter wear? Looks like he's got a wooly hat and hooded top on under his coat.....)

Hi Bill, glad you like things so far, thanks for the kind words.

Ewan was in a rush to the flight deck so as he didn't wash away a shaving foam residue from his 'tache.

Cheers!

Alexander.

Hi Alexander, I think he'd fail an inspection. I'd better have a word with him and tell him to shape up! ;)

Hi richter111, I'm pleased that you like things up to now. I'll try not to disappoint with the remainder of the little fellow. Truth be told, I think I've had a bit of luck with the results so far. It could all be downhill from here on in...... :blink:

Looking great!!

BTW, the first one wasn't overly tanned, he just came back from a Key West det.

Reddog

Hey Gerry, thanks so much for all of your help with the colours on this little dude.

Yeah, I considered leaving him nice 'n' tanned but thought I'd get away with featuring him on more photos if he looked a bit less sun-burned.

So, his head is complete now.

tn_Groundcrew005.jpg

tn_Groundcrew007.jpg

tn_Groundcrew009.jpg

Please let me know if the colours are ok, I can always redo them if they are way out~

I had to sharpen up details on the cranial plates, add new goggle straps and ear-defender head strap and pad. As you can see, the red-lined white square and 1P lettering is hand painted. It looks so rough when magnified to this extent but looks ok at 1:1. Since he'll spend most of his time in the background, I'm not sure whether I'll bother sharpening the lettering up any more.

Onto his body next...........

Looking good Guy!

I think the skin tone looks much better after the re-paint.

Cheers,

Jeff.

Hi Jeff, yeah, I agree. I think I'm happier with the less tanned look. Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. There's a way to go before I approach the finesse you showed with your U-boat Captain but I've had fun with this little guy. He's destined to be a supporting actor to the stars of the show anyway so I hope he does n't need to be perfect. (Insert fingers crossed emoticon)

Aha, as I can see, now your Ewan is really shaped up and his look is not so perplexed as some time ago.

Cheers!

Alexander.

Hi Alexander, thanks. The sculptor did a fair job of the facial features but I can't really make the details out even with magnification. More respect to the figure painters out there...... :wave:

PERFECT!!!!!!!

Don't change a thing.

Reddog

Hi Reddog, thanks man. A big thumbs up to you :blink:

Thank you so much for all of the help and input with every aspect of this figure. It sure helps having someone who knows their stuff giving guidance and advice. Cheers B)

So here is my Plane Captain, all finished apart from his bootlaces. (I'm not sure whether to add some or not.)

tn_Groundcrew036.jpg

tn_Groundcrew039.jpg

This guy started out as the Academy Marine so I had to remove the pockets on his pants and add a tool bag to represent a Navy guy. He is depicted as shore based wearing foul weather clothing hence the jacket and pants tucked into his boots.

The eventual plan is to pose him in the background around the F-14 as if he is checking systems.

Thanks for looking. Please feel free to add and criticism. Cheers,

Hi guys,

Many thanks once again for your encouragement and kind words.

Hi Alexander, yes, I agree. I could n't resist. I just had to have a try at adding the bootlaces.... :rolleyes:

Hello Jeff, cheers mate. I think we can put that down to getting further away from the figure. It's funny but he looks better and better the further away I get from him.... :lol:

Cheers Gerry. It goes without saying that I could n't have done any of this without your patient help and advice. Many thanks. :salute:

Hi Anders, good to see you and thanks for the kind words. The colours are down to Reddog. He's been kind enough to coach me on what a Plane Captain should look like so the credit goes to him. No pilots planned at this moment in time. The ground crew figure is only likely to feature in the background. The intention is to suggest some life but not draw attention to the figure itself. I take my lead from Fred Shammas on this. His dioramas are world class and often feature figures but as more of a backdrop. Freds' dioramas are quite inspirational.

So here he is.....bootlaces and all.......

tn_Groundcrew040.jpg

The laces are lead wire twisted to shape and painted black. I was advised to scuff up the heels and toe caps of boots so I did that by dry-brushing them with a light grey. (These are work boots rather than parade wear.) Now all I have to do is finish the Tomcat so he has something to work on.....! ;)

Edited by geedubelyer
Very nice mate!

I was looking at some thing you did a few years ago. some generator box/cart or something. cant find it again now. But anyway, its great! lol

David

Thanks David. Was this what you meant?
gorgeous figure !! he has a look of donald sutherland about him when he played " oddball !"

Thanks tornado64, much appreciated. Yeah,.....he does look a bit like "Oddball" :pray:

Cheers,

:tumble:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...