The Hornet Challenge mini-GB

Congratulations Ole for excellent and fast build. I though I will be done by now too but I was just too busy.

Since last post I put on some future, put down decals, another layer of future and highlighted panels with wash. After looking over pictures I decided for heavy weathered bird. I can't find the reference photo I used right now but hopefully can update it later. Here is the current state:

IMG_2799.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

The rest of the parts:

IMG_2801.JPG

IMG_2802.JPG

Still need to add decals on these two:

IMG_2803.JPG

Since the model will have open canopy I needed to add some detail to the seat, here before painting, it is almost finished now:

IMG_2797.JPG

I like to leave oils (used for wash) to dry thoroughly before final assembly and flat coat but it should be finished in few days.

I was gonna let my Future coat rest a few days... But I couldnt resist, had to try out the Pro Modeller's panel line wash. Even then I was only gonna try it on a few smaller sub-assemblies like the underwing pylons and a few other bits. Before I knew it, I was slathering it on the main fuselage. I love that stuff. Im uploading todays pics to Photobucket right now. Ill get them posted here later on.

Edit: Here's a few pics.

BIgBug054.jpg

BIgBug053.jpg

BIgBug057.jpg

Edited by Charlie Cheetah

Nice stuff MasterQQ, First time I've seen a TUDM Hornet done, they look good in dark paint. I like your display base too.

Benner, that is one sweet paint job, congrats. Is that Arrow Graphics decals or someone elses, they look perfect. My next Bug will be the Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18B with similar markings, a/c 188906.

nice work Masterqq, congrats. :crying2:

Benner, that is one sweet paint job, congrats. Is that Arrow Graphics decals or someone elses, they look perfect. My next Bug will be the Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18B with similar markings, a/c 188906.

yes that is the Arrow Graphics decal sheet, well, three different ones actually. I had to use those for the early stencils and markings. I also used the Leading Edge sheet for other stencils.

Hi Benner,

That Hornet of yours is going along very nicely. Would you mind sharing what brand of paint you used for the 36375/35237 combo?

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks. The underside is just Gunze sangyo Light Ghost Gray. The top side was initially sprayed in Gunze 35237 but I didn't like the result. So I sprayed Model Master 35237 on top of that first coat with some of the Gunze paint showing though in the thin paint job.

Ok All here is an update from me.

Shes done with paint just need to fix the Fade line in back by the stabs, Did an Attempt a Black Preshading on this but my ref pics were pretty clean so Ill try and keep it that way, I am working on weapons and gear now, so here are a few pics.

E

100_3983.jpg

100_3978.jpg

100_3980.jpg

100_3982.jpg

100_3984.jpg

Excellent work gentleman!!!...It looks like I have some catching up to do.

I've been feeling a bit under the weather this last week so I have not been doing much modeling but I'm on the mend now and beginning to feel much better. I even managed to get some work done on this project yesterday.

The pre-shading done and the first coat of paint has begun to be sprayed.

F-18A_451_bld19.jpg

Before I got the flu I had finished painting the 'Hell Hole' and had it ready to install.

F-18A_451_bld17.jpg

Here's the cockpit being test fit one last time before finally being installed.

F-18A_451_bld18.jpg

I finished the paint work last night. I'm going for a fairly weathered look with this paint job. This is after I applied a Promodeller wash.

F-18A_451_bld20.jpg

A bit more weathering to do but she's getting there.

F-18A_451_bld21.jpg

I'm looking forward to adding the decals soon... ;)

Mark

I've been sort of bouncing between this and researching for my next build. I've been re-energized by this next project that this hornet has been very slow to progress. Here's some pic's of where I stand at the moment.

Semper Fi

Dan

dsc01586042651.jpg

dsc01606049243.jpg

dsc01616057217.jpg

dsc01636062703.jpg

Excellent work gentleman!!!...It looks like I have some catching up to do.

I've been feeling a bit under the weather this last week so I have not been doing much modeling but I'm on the mend now and beginning to feel much better. I even managed to get some work done on this project yesterday.

I'm looking forward to adding the decals soon... :thumbsup:

Mark

Mark, outstanding paint job!

I've been sort of bouncing between this and researching for my next build. I've been re-energized by this next project that this hornet has been very slow to progress. Here's some pic's of where I stand at the moment.

Semper Fi

Dan

Looks good Dan

Thanks, Charlie, Panos and Ken,

I had what for me is a rare occurrence. It was a day when I managed to get the paint just the right consistency the compressor at just the right pressure setting, the air temperature was just right and everything just flowed perfectly. Usually I struggle to get all those variables in harmony with each other. But the more I use my double action brush(my fourth model with it) the more comfortable I feel with it. My finger still spazes out on me occasionally and I get an unwanted blast of paint, but thats the beauty of doing TPS scheme I can use that to my advantage... :thumbsup:

Hey Mark,

Looking good - feel free to slather on the dirt and grime. 451 did little washing of their jets in theatre due to a lack of water. They got pretty grimy. Have you seen the underside shot of 11 from "Hornets over Kuwait"?

Thanks Craig,

I do plan on adding some more dirt and grime once I get the decals on and clear coated. My main reference for this build has been your web site and that underside shot is what inspired me as to what loadout I was going to do. It looks to me like it would be hard to "over do" the weathering on those Hornets. I have a question for you. Considering the weathering on this bird how much of the stenciling would still be apparent?

Here she is with the first few decals applied. I also have a set of SuperScale decals depicting a "Warlords" Hornet during "Desert Storm" that has a decal for the false canopy that I hope will save me the chore of masking and painting it. But my past experience with SS decals leaves me less than confident this will work out but I figure its worth a try. It also has markings for the fuel tanks I think I'll use as well.

F-18A_451_bld22.jpg

The landing gear is coming together and I hope to have her up on her legs soon.

Mark