Tamiya Surface Primer vs. Mr. Surfacer?

Hey Guys,

Mr. Surfacer is not available around where I live. I have purchased the Tamiya Liquid White Surface Primer in the 40 ml bottle(love the spray in the rattle can too). When I used it, is seemed to be a little "gummy" when sanded. I thought that I had allowed it enough time to dry(24 hrs.). I used it straight from the bottle, though now I know that I can thin it out with lacquer thinner. I have also learned that I can airbrush it after thinning, to get finer coats that with a rattle can. Cool!

My question is this: For those of you who have used both, does the Mr. Surfacer perform better and sand easier that the Tamiya,?

I would appreciate any suggestions that you might have. Thanks.

David

I regurally use both Tamiya and MR, both in white and gray.

I found Tamiya one easier to thin, but for the rest they look the same.

Both once dry looks almost gummy if you made a thick layer.

Hope this helps.

Paolo

I've never used the Tamiya product, however I've heard great stuff about it. I use the Mr. Surfacer 1000 thinned with Mr. Leveling Thinner, airbrushed at 10psi and I have nothing but praise for the stuff. It leaves a very thin, very smooth finish and never needs sanding. It's smoot that when used on some gray plastic you think you haven't primed yet...good stuff!!! :thumbsup:

I've never used the Tamiya product, however I've heard great stuff about it. I use the Mr. Surfacer 1000 thinned with Mr. Leveling Thinner, airbrushed at 10psi and I have nothing but praise for the stuff. It leaves a very thin, very smooth finish and never needs sanding. It's smoot that when used on some gray plastic you think you haven't primed yet...good stuff!!! :woot.gif:

Where are you getting your Gunze products from? The Internet searches that I have done have mostly come up with older, outdated posts, "not in stock", or discontined" messages in the US... Any help would be appreciated. In the mean time, can I use "hardware store" lacquer thinner with the Tamiya primer, or do I need the Tamiya specific lacquer thinner? I usually stick with the proprietary brand products, but don't have any on hand and the only shop in my area doesn't carry it. Thanks.

David