NASA F-15 ACTIVE in 1/48 ?

Hello !

Does anyone know if there is any model or conversation kit of the F-15 ACTIVE in 1/48

If you dont know what aircraft i mean, this one.

F-15B_06a.jpg

/ Jocke

Nothing currently available, sorry to say. There is a conversion set planned by an aftermarket manufacturer sometime in the future, but there's no time frame for availability yet.

If you're not overly picky, you can take a Hasegawa F-15B, slap a couple F-18 stabs on the intakes (that's what they are on the real jet) with the mounts and some actuator fairings, put an F-15E 'pit in it and call it good. The real jet has some different aft fuselage contours around the nozzles (from it's days as the SMTD) and the small speedbrake (since it was the first TF-15A). It also has the lightweight gear.

The jet is just a few yards down the ramp from me and I can get pics of the external details (the cockpit is now stripped and sealed for static display) or Tony Landis (who visits this board) has a photo CD available of the NF-15B that illustrates all the details.

One of these days I'm going to scratchbuild a 1/72 scale F-15 S/MTD (Short Takeoff and Landing/Maneuver Technology Demonstrator). It was the predecessor of the F-15 ACTIVE. I've got the kit, a Has. B, and for the canands, a crappy ESCI hornet kit horizonal tail. The engines for the S/MTD was boxy looking and had convergent/divergent nozzles. Those might stretch my scratchbuilding abilities. The company I work for (it was called NWL Control Systems at the time) was a partner in that aircraft and we made the actuators for the nozzles and the canard acutators. Being a partner, we had our name in the tail marking emblem (which was pretty cool). I have a few stock McAir photos of this aircraft along with a 3 inch diameter sticker of the tail art. The ACTIVE program had the same red, white and blue paint scheme as the S/MTD. On the production F-15 we made the inlet ramp actuators, the horizonal stab actuators and flap actuators. If anyone does come out with a conversion for it before I get building it, I'll be getting it. If they come out with it in 1/48, I'm sure I'd get that as well.

Here's a link that has a photo and info on the S/MTD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-15_S/MTD

what we need is the F-15 with the Gulfstream Quiet Spike. maybe make it telecopic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NASA_F-1...Quiet_Spike.jpg

There were a small number (maybe 10) of 1/72 QuietSpike conversions produced by one of the Gulfstream engineers who is a modeler. There may be a 48th and 72nd conversion forthcoming from the same aftermarket manufacturer that is considering the NASA 837 conversion

• 8 months later...

Hello all! new guy here :thumbsup:

Is some one looking for a NF-15B conversion?? just some pics for you all to see? was not going to let the cat out of the bag just yet but just seen this discussion here and would like to let you all know "IT IS ON ITS WAY"!

Still more work to be done so don't pick at it to much :unsure: the main parts are not sitting in the right position in the photos only have a bit of tape holding them up.

And did I say this is in 1/32 but will have the parts coming out in 1/48 and 1/72 but they are a little bit off yet the 1/32 scale ones are first.

I will be launching my self at the QLD model expo next month in Brisbane (Australia) and this model will be on display! plus other stuff that is on the to do list.

Hope you all enjoy.

PS. Does any one like the F-15B Quiet Spike?

100714-0007.jpg

100714-0011.jpg

100714-0010.jpg

100714-0009.jpg

100714-0008.jpg

100714-0012.jpg

100714-0013.jpg

100714-0014.jpg

100714-0015.jpg

Dare I say this looks like the old/re-release of the Revell 1/32 F-15E/D kit??

Your conversion looks quite nice. One question is will you be doing the "Thrust Vectoring Nozzles" that were temporarily fitted to the aircraft?

Thanks and keep us posted!

Regards,

Tricose

Hello Tricose! nice to meet you,

Dare I say this looks like the old/re-release of the Revell 1/32 F-15E/D kit??

Yes it is "I know it is old" but it is not that bad of a kit, but it does have one big leg over the Tamiya F-15E and that is price! and it has just been re-release from Revell.

Your conversion looks quite nice

Thanks still more to be done.

One question is will you be doing the "Thrust Vectoring Nozzles" that were temporarily fitted to the aircraft?

In short yes! but they will be sold on there own so if anyone does wish to add them they can and it helps to keep the price down but they are a few months off yet or even very early next year? ( we will do the best we can from the few photos that we have. So the parts will be made from photos not plans at this stage :woot.gif:

When I can get my hands on the Tamiya F-15E kit I will see how well it can or if it can be fitted to that kit.

LockOn

Fantastic, Matt! :thumbsup: Those are worth their weight in gold (how much does an image weigh? :doh::lol:) and should be very helpful when scratching those fairings. Of course, when LockOn comes out with that set in 1/72, there won't be any need for me to scratch these. :lol:

Ed, nice pics of the canard mountings. Also, thanks for the info on regarding Tony's CD. I'll sure contact him and get one.

LockonF-111, Welcome to ARC. I'm really excited to hear that your working on a 1/32 conversion. I will be getting one for sure. So, yes like other have said keep us posted.

Mike

Of course, when LockOn comes out with that set in 1/72, there won't be any need for me to scratch these.

Well at lest I have one sale for the 1/72 scale set ;) thanks ChernayaAkula you will be the first to know about the 1/72 scale one ;) .

What do you think is the best 1/72 F-15 kit to do the conversion for?

LockOn

LockonF-111, Welcome to ARC

Thanks Youngtiger1 nice to be here! you can call me just LockOn if you like? had to add the F-111 because some one already had just lockon ;) but thats ok!

I'm really excited to hear that your working on a 1/32 conversion. I will be getting one for sure.

I will keep you all posted. COOL I will be happy to sell you one ;) so you will be the first to know when this is done and are ready to go.

Just so you all know the conversions will come with decals! there will be around 9-10 parts you will also get the short air break you will not get decals for the wings red and blue strips but maybe a paint mask?

Looking at doing around a decal run of 300 for each scale? but comes do to the price! which is always the killer Me ---> :) <--- the price man!

Was hoping for more posts of people how like this great aircraft and may wish to buy it o well we will just have to wait and see.

LockOn

Edited by lockonF-111

Technically, the 1/32 Revell kit is the one to use since it represents more of an F-15B or D anyway. The Tamiya kit is an F-15E and this has a few lumps, bumps and features that aren't right for the core airframe. It is also currently available and readily cheap right now.

Nice to see a conversion is coming as this is one of my favorite technology demonstrators.

BTW, also take note that when parked, the main gear doors of this jet are open and not shut like they typically are on most airframes. The FSD F-15s were unique in that regard as they were different enough from the operational birds that they couldn't be converted all that easily. Reason I mention it is some kits just mold those doors shut.

Edited by Jay Chladek
P1000521.jpg

... her name is Christine?

or just so kind of hommage to someone that"jet intakes" Actively :thumbsup:

sorry folks... it was too easy...

nice bird by the way! it is a very interresting subject.

and i'm happy to learn that they had use f-18 stabs as canards.

that's clever... and scatchmodelling-friendly!

Edited by mingwin
Thanks Youngtiger1 nice to be here! you can call me just LockOn if you like? had to add the F-111 because some one already had just lockon :D but thats ok!

I will keep you all posted. COOL I will be happy to sell you one :wub: so you will be the first to know when this is done and are ready to go.

Just so you all know the conversions will come with decals! there will be around 9-10 parts you will also get the short air break you will not get decals for the wings red and blue strips but maybe a paint mask?

Looking at doing around a decal run of 300 for each scale? but comes do to the price! which is always the killer Me ---> :wub: <--- the price man!

Was hoping for more posts of people how like this great aircraft and may wish to buy it o well we will just have to wait and see.

LockOn

LockOn, Don't you worry I think this will be a great seller. You need to visit few more sites like Largescaleplanes.com, www.scalemodelworld.net.net, hyperscale (These are the 3 most popular that I know of) and post your pics there so other will know as well. As for decals, I can always paint my own red/blue stripes as long as you can provide the guide of some sort. Also, you mention that you will be coming out with nozzles as well. If you can post pics when you have a sample. I'll will sure to grab one of those as well. Keep us posted :D

Mike

Hi Lockon! This is a great project! I have had the chance to see the real F-15 ACTIVE several times out at Edwards AFB, and would really like the chance to build a model of that aircraft. I'll happily stand in line to buy at least 1 copy in each of the three scales should you release this conversion kit. So you now have three more conversion kits sold! My preference is in 1/72, but I plan on building this in each scale that you release the kit in.

Good luck on this project! I think you might be surprised at the number of modelers out there who would like to do this conversion!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Well at lest I have one sale for the 1/72 scale set :woot.gif: thanks ChernayaAkula you will be the first to know about the 1/72 scale one :wacko: .

What do you think is the best 1/72 F-15 kit to do the conversion for?

:wacko: Actually, I may be in the market for two or three sets in 1/72. The (newer-tool) Hasegawa kit will be the best starting point in 1/72.