ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
PNW_Modeler

1:350th Big E

THe Tamiya is just open as well. I used saran wrap glued to the inside and painted it clear green.

DSC_0299.jpg

Edited by phantom

I have seen that carrier model at Hobby Lobby before. The tamiya Enterprise is like $100 more. Is it really pretty close to the Tamiya one?

Hey guys, I'm getting close to the point where I am starting to think about painting the hull....the instructions list a very ambigious "Hull Color" for the hull and island....any idea what shade of Hull Color I should use? I was thinking maybe Light Ghost Hull Color or maybe Gunship Hull Color?

OK...but seriously....does anyone know what color I should be using?

I have seen that carrier model at Hobby Lobby before. The tamiya Enterprise is like $100 more. Is it really pretty close to the Tamiya one?

And to add what Ricther said, this kit represents the Big E prior to it's first refitting whereas the Tamiya kit is closer to current config. The biggest difference is the island. Phantom's pic is from the Tamiya E and it is more or less current day. My island has the big beehive on top from the 60's-70's.

Edited by paul.nortness

Paul, I think I used a mix of mostly 36375 and a little white on mine.

This is where I stand currently.....

big_e_5.jpg

Here is a close up shot of the island. Lots of nasty little gaps to fill that should be pretty darned fun (not!)

big_e_6.jpg

And then some of the fun stuff on the sides..."sponsons" I think they call em!

big_e_7.jpg

Any suggestions on how I should go about doing the rigging on the mast? It's not much, but there is some....I have no clue!

Rigging on the mast. Stretched sprue. thats what I used. See photo above. Boy, the pre 70's look is SO different from the 2001 I went with. Great job! :bandhead2:

Rigging on the mast. Stretched sprue. thats what I used. See photo above. Boy, the pre 70's look is SO different from the 2001 I went with. Great job! :unsure:

Paul check your references there should be a LOT more antennae on that dome I think.....

Here is one shot....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...29_underway.jpg

I don't know how many there are, but if you have any casting experience you should be able to make a master for each size and then just duplicate them......

Edited by jimz66