Here is my PL Enterprise. This ship may be the most well known space ship ever. I have had this kit for about 2 years and barely took it out of the box. The sheer size of this ship made it hard to build due to the fact that I have no place to put it! This GB tipped the scales for me! I guess I'll have to find a place now! I have the old kit, so I have to paint all the detailing etc. I'm building strictly OOB and don't plan on lights or AM parts. The new kit has all the hull plating included as decals! My first decision.....Will I do the NCC-1701 or the NCC-1701-A? I'm going to do the A! I like all the blue! Now for the kit....

Here is my 1/48 Hind sitting on the primary hull. This baby is big!

P2010001.jpg

That big chunk of foil is the shuttle bay! I started it about 2 years ago. I'm not going to put it inside. My skills are a lot better now, so I'm going to put it in as it will detract from the end product.

P2010002.jpg

I think I'll post more WIP than you want to see...LOL But this is just fun! I love Star Trek!

Curt

I whipped mine out the other night to show the wife, she said it was so big!

The model that is!

:woot.gif:

If you want to see something interesting, put it next to the AMT version, and if you really want an eye popper, put it up next to the USS Enterprise (Ship) from Tamiya in 1/350 scale.

Just wow!

Build day 2

Hey I'm back with another thrilling update! I built up the secondary hull and nacelle pylons. The model is already way bigger than a 1/48 F-16! The hull joins are a work of art. The main ones run along hull plating lines and disappear! Every thing fits really well except where the pylons mount to the hull. These gaps can easily be filled with sheet styrene though!. All the windows seem to stick out past the hull a bit and will have to be trimmed down. I'm wondering if I should risk painting them then trimming them off to reveal the window. I already masked all of them with liquid mask prior to assembly so all I should have to do is scratch off the masking with my thumb nail, but I think I need to cut the nubs off or sand them down at least. I decided not to light this one. I just feel lazy...lol This won't be my last 1/350 scale Enterprise! I really want to enjoy this and all that wiring and soldering doesn't sound fun right now.

Here are some pics of the assembly so far.

The grime is old tape residue.

Day22.jpg

Day21.jpg

Day2.jpg

well I'm gonna clean up all the gaps etc.

Have fun on all your builds!

Curt

I

If you want to see something interesting, put it next to the AMT version, and if you really want an eye popper, put it up next to the USS Enterprise (Ship) from Tamiya in 1/350 scale.

Just wow!

Thats the beauty of this group build. I'm doing both this Enterprise and the Tamiya carrier. Hopefully the table they are going on is big enough.

Looking good so far Curt.

• 1 month later...

Aww heck, your half way done now. Just do er'. Watch the join from the lower hull to the "neck". That is the only area that gave me trouble on mine.

Did not quite fit perfectly but the kit is so well engineered the tabs that did fit still held the weight just fine.

The nacelles kicked my butt! I haven't gotten them to the point where i am happy yet but I'm still working! The gap along the neck took a lot of pressure to close! I'm happy with it now...I think!

I'm starting to plan the paint job now. I have the old kit, so it's going to be a lot of masking!

Phantom, how were the steps along the length of the nacelles for you? I had to pull out the 120 grit for starters before even starting the filling!

Now for some update pics!

No picture can do justice to the size of this thing!

Entfiller1.jpg

Nacelle tops...

Entfiller10.jpg

Nacelle bottoms. I sanded off the raised detail and will replace with .020 evergreen sheet.

Entfiller11.jpg

Slight neck gap. It took a lot of working the neck to get it there! I thought I was going to break the hull apart...lol So I stopped here. I may fill it I may not.

Entfiller2.jpg

Pylon attach point after clean up!

Entfiller.jpg

Any comments or suggestions welcomed whole heartedly!

Curt

I'm starting to plan the paint job now. I have the old kit, so it's going to be a lot of masking!

Nice build!! I want this kit bad!

You can buy the decals seperately if you don't want to mask. Starship modeler has them for around $50. Sounds expensive, except that it is around 15 pages ;) so might be worth the cost. Especially to your sanity!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...