1/48 FW190D-9 Kits

Has Hasegawa not released a 1/48 FW190D-9 kit? I wonder if they will do one in the future? Is the Tamiya one good?..it's what 8 years old though right?

Correct, Hasegawa has not done a D-9. The Tamiya kit is excellent...relatively cheap, low parts count and easy to build, and it sure looks like a Dora once it's all together. I just finished one about two weeks ago and it was a relaxing sanity build. Highly recommended!

Steve

Here's my recently completed tamiya FW-190D-9. Drawbacks, gear legs too short by a fraction of an inch, gear wells completely enclosed. Otherwise, a real beauty. I added scratch built seat belts/buckles, brake lines, visual gear indicator, and ventral antenna. Cannon are vinyl covered paper clips, and nav lights are MV lenses. The sagging radio cable is deliberate, blown hood 190s had no built in tensioners, so when the canopy was pushed back, the cable went slack. Hal Sr

lP1010100.jpg

P1010102.jpg

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr

The biggest problem with the Tamiya kit is that it lacks the engine that can be seen up through the wheel wheels. The upper cannons are slightly misshapen too, but nothing some sanding can't take care of.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to the Eduard FW190D kits...they look like they took care of the the over engineering that plagued their 190A series. Hopefully they'll be out by the end of the year

Here is one of mine built up, I have two more that are just about done, but need take photos of

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

Edited by ScottD

IIRC the Tamiya kit has a D-11 wing with a D-9 airframe... something about the airplane in a UK museum they used to do the research was wrong in this respect... could it be a urban legend? The D-9 we have here (flugeworks) looks like this and they used the original factory drawings.

100_3894.jpg

100_3888.jpg

100_3876.jpg

100_3889.jpg

It was the USAF museum aircraft that they measured/studied. IIRC they traded wings with the Planes of Fame museum, as apparently somewhere during the postwar testing and dismantling, the wing assemblies got swapped.

Edited by DonSS3
IIRC the Tamiya kit has a D-11 wing with a D-9 airframe...

The early issues of the kit only had one gun shell ejection port on them, which was on the D-11. The newer kits have this corrected, as seen in my photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Others can chime in but I don't think the Tamiya D-9 is that bad, I believe there are 2 things that are not accurate about it, but again, it is a model not a museum master piece. I think some guys do more analizing kits then the do building them, that is just MHO as no kit is perfect. Does it look like FW190, then that is good enough, spend more time building the kits and less time listening to all the analysts.

Have been told by a fellow club member that the best D9 made was the Tristar version. But he is looking forward to the Hase kit. Don't know why. He has 110 brand new Tristar kits (all FW's) he bought 15 years ago that are still in the shrink wrap.

Have been told by a fellow club member that the best D9 made was the Tristar version. But he is looking forward to the Hase kit. Don't know why. He has 110 brand new Tristar kits (all FW's) he bought 15 years ago that are still in the shrink wrap.

Tristar? Trimaster perhaps? I know Tristar do a Storch in 1/35, but haven't heard anything about them doing Doras 15 years ago.

Kev

Others can chime in but I don't think the Tamiya D-9 is that bad, I believe there are 2 things that are not accurate about it, but again, it is a model not a museum master piece. I think some guys do more analizing kits then the do building them, that is just MHO as no kit is perfect. Does it look like FW190, then that is good enough, spend more time building the kits and less time listening to all the analysts.

Might be worth referencing the 3-part MDC pamper-set for the Tamiya (or Trimaster/Dragon/Italeri/Uncle Tom Cobbley Dora, for that matter.) Seems to address a few of the issues raised. This, for me is why the Eduard is interesting, but not necessarily drool-worthy :thumbsup:

Don't dismiss the older Tristar Doras, reboxed by Dragon/DML and Italeri (that I know of). at the time of release they were considered to be among the best models ever produced and I have to say that they are still very nicely detailed, especially if you can find an older Tristar or Dragon/DML boxing. I have an Italeri boxing where the molds were misaligned, so...

Most boxings of the kit come with a small PE fret too. Yes, the fit of the fuselage to wing root is challenging, but other than that they build up fine and look really, really nice.

I like the Tamiya kit for it's buildability and it does look like a Dora, just not as good looking of an end product that you can get with a Tristar/DML kit.

Trimaster pushed the envelope back in the day when they were first issued. They came with white metal parts for the cockpit and landing gear and photo etch and scaled brass and stainless tubing for guns and pitot tube as well as brass wire for brake lines. The dimensions were spot on and IMO they pushed Tamiya and Hasegawa into another level which we have all benefited by. I've built all the Trimaster series have and four left in the stash. But since I'm going to the 1/32nd regime I'll not be building them. I am thinking about selling them, sweet kits that they are, I do hate to see them go.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the Tamiya A-8/R2 and the Has A-8/R8 with the new molds. IMO the Hasegawa kit is superior in detail and there are many things that are nice like the seperated gun cannon tubes, fit to me is pretty darn close to Tamiya, and the Has decals are nicer also. I still like the Tamiya kits but I am very impressed with the Has FW190 kits A-5 to F-8.