Eduard 1/48 FW190

The Eduard is a royal piece of crapola and not worth a dime, since you asked. Stick with the re-tooled Hasegawa A series and the Tamiya for the D and F series. You couldn't pay me to even look at another Eduard Fw 190...even though a client tried. Wound up in the trash anyway.

Greg

Tamiya and Hasegawa are pretty much box shakers. The new Hasegawa kit is indeed a pleasure to build. The Eduard kit is buildable but believe me, you really have to want to build it as the kit will require a lot of re-engineering.

HTH,

Dave

HEY wait a minute guys you cant complain about a crappy kit- the PC police will be here any moment to shout you all down for killin the hobby or starting the doomsday clock!... OH silly me, I keep forgetting that luftwaffe subjects have a free pass... sometimes I forget it's the Dragon Mustang that is way crappier than this kit that your not aloud to grip about. Nevermind... B itch on brothers.

The Eduard kit seems to have a love it or hate it following. I personally love them, with the caveat that they are over engineered and take some rather careful and precise planning and placement to get them to work well. They certainly aren't tamigawa because they don't fall together, and its not a matter of modeling skill because many very skilled modelers have had issues with the Eduard kits. It seems to be that there is just a very speciifc way that the Eduard kits will go together well, and if you don't hit that right on, they can be a bear. That being said, its the only real option for open gun and engine compartments OOB, plus the dual open/closed canopies are a really nice addition since the canopy actually did change shape as it opened. Plus the amount of stuff you get in the box with the Eduard kit makes it pretty cost effective compared with tamigawa. just my $.02

The Eduard kit seems to have a love it or hate it following. I personally love them, with the caveat that they are over engineered and take some rather careful and precise planning and placement to get them to work well. They certainly aren't tamigawa because they don't fall together, and its not a matter of modeling skill because many very skilled modelers have had issues with the Eduard kits. It seems to be that there is just a very speciifc way that the Eduard kits will go together well, and if you don't hit that right on, they can be a bear. That being said, its the only real option for open gun and engine compartments OOB, plus the dual open/closed canopies are a really nice addition since the canopy actually did change shape as it opened. Plus the amount of stuff you get in the box with the Eduard kit makes it pretty cost effective compared with tamigawa. just my $.02

I agree. I have two, one that is in the junk pile and another in the box. But I still plan on building the boxed one. I can't let it defeat me!! There are a couple of good buildups now that you can reference. As jrallman said, there is a very specific way they go together. And I dont' believe the instructions are it!!

I guess it depends how much time you are willing to put into it. But that's the same with any kit, although this one will take some extra ;)

How's the Dragon/Trimaster FW190 series compared to the others mentioned here?

I have a 1/48 Dragon Fw190 A7 (Slipper Tanks) in the stash that I will someday build sans "slippery" tanks in the markings of Heinz Bar's backup plane Red 23. It has nice PE in the box. Trouble is it only comes with a gun cover with the gun ports faired in. Ill have to modify that somehow.

edit: I had a closer look at the parts from this kit yesterday. THe gun muzzles are molded onto the top of the cowling, they butt joint with the flat front of the gun cover. One less thing to worry about.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone heard anything more about the new Eduard 1/48 FW190D-9 Profi Pack kit coming out? I read somewhere that it will be easier to build than the other FW190 kits and won't be so over-engineered.

I would like to know too. I also read they are supposed to be easier to assemble. There are some sprue shots floating around somewhere so hopefully they are close to release. Hopefully early 2010 that way I can use my annual x-mas spruebrothers gift card that the wife gets me :monkeydance:

HEY wait a minute guys you cant complain about a crappy kit- the PC police will be here any moment to shout you all down for killin the hobby or starting the doomsday clock!... OH silly me, I keep forgetting that luftwaffe subjects have a free pass... sometimes I forget it's the Dragon Mustang that is way crappier than this kit that your not aloud to grip about. Nevermind... B itch on brothers.

Oh good grief. SOME airplane (or two) had to be the favorite. Would you post the above if P-51s and P-38s outsold everything else?

Love the tongue in cheek poke at us Luftwaffe guys Greg. :doh: What's truly funny, however, is everyone literally tripping over themselves for months and months....thread after thread....about just how good the Eduard Fw 190 kits were. I just happened to stick my neck out there to say what a piece of crap it actually was...throwing caution to the wind and taking no prisoners with those who'd applaud these as somehow being masterfully engineered. I've said it here before and will keep saying it....unless you want to spend way too much time, energy and putty to "fix" Eduards mess it really isn't worth it. I mean, I honestly don't know of any decals being worth $35 or more as that is about the best part of the kit: Airframe = junk, Masks = cheap express masks that need to be filled in with liquid medium or masking tape, Ordinance = stunning yet poorly done with PE fins that aren't engineered well, decals = good....but not worth $35. Save your money....buy the Hasegawa or Tamiya versions...throw in some PE, only if absolutely necessary and you're far better off. Now then....when do we get to discuss poorly engineered P-51's? ;)

Greg

Lee - thanks for making my point and furthermore I would also mention that every time I commented on how worthless the dragon mustang was the self appointed PC police were quick to attack me for "telling it like it is" while I see some of those same people in this thread giving a free pass to others who are "telling it like it ts" about this kit. Ironic. :doh:

GGoheen- I have the Eduard kit and I agree with you 100%. Plus I do build allot of Luftwaffe subjects in fact the last two show I went to I have placed a 1st place award at JAXCON 09- HE111 and second place at Modelpalooza Orlando 09- Do335... toot toot...(that was my own horn). I think its great that you can freely comment on a crappy kit without being criticized for doing so I was not afforded that same courtesy in the past. Forgive me but my tongue in cheek remark was only designed to remind some of those hypocrites how petty they really are. You wrote "Now then....when do we get to discuss poorly engineered P-51's? "

my answer is- apparently never- not here on ARC. :thumbsup:

Edited by TF51GREGWISE

I think you're in kinda' an apples and. oranges situation here.

I think slamming the Eduard 190 comes off as more acceptable since it's a kit engineering/build-ability issue more than an accuracy issue, because from what I gather the Eduard 190 is pretty much spot on except maybe for the tail being a little wide.

The Dragon P-51 is the opposite, and a fair amount of people who build it are not going to be overly concerned about the inaccurate wheel wells, poorly shaped windscreen, et. al. I think you incur more wrath when you start pinging on a kit for accuracy issues because some people just don't sweat those things. A kit being ridiculously hard to get together is something that nearly everyone can identify with though.

I think you'll see a new tool 1/32 Hasegawa P-51 in the next couple years so the Dragon kit should be a non-issue.

I think slamming the Eduard 190 comes off as more acceptable since it's a kit engineering/build-ability issue more than an accuracy issue, because from what I gather the Eduard 190 is pretty much spot on except maybe for the tail being a little wide.

I don't build things with a swastika, but I have been wondering if it's so bad enginneered if built with everything opened, including the engine panels?

The Dragon P-51 is the opposite, and a fair amount of people who build it are not going to be overly concerned about the inaccurate wheel wells, poorly shaped windscreen, et. al. I think you incur more wrath when you start pinging on a kit for accuracy issues because some people just don't sweat those things. A kit being ridiculously hard to get together is something that nearly everyone can identify with though.

The "holly quartet" (P-51, Spitfire, Me-109, FW-190) seems very hard to mould acuratelly. "Expertens" and "Boffins" particularly are very hard to please... ;)

I don't build things with a swastika, but I have been wondering if it's so bad enginneered if built with everything opened, including the engine panels?

I think your right, I don't think Eduard can pull off the same molding that Tamiya/Hasagawa/Dragon can do at the moment, esp with opened parts, which is only the real difference between its FW190A family and what Tamiya and Hasagawa does. I've see some really nice Eduard builds on the net, but my luck was horrible with them. I got another one to try, but I have my doubts on being able to finish it lol

I would like to know also where the sprue shots are. I've been searching on the net and I can find them.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/special/ihe09.shtml have to scroll down a bit

These are from the Ihobby show. I thought I read that there were test shots of one there. Not sure if they meant the sprues or if someone actually built one up

sure hope it is easier to build than the other series.

I think your right, I don't think Eduard can pull off the same molding that Tamiya/Hasagawa/Dragon can do at the moment, esp with opened parts, which is only the real difference between its FW190A family and what Tamiya and Hasagawa does. I've see some really nice Eduard builds on the net, but my luck was horrible with them. I got another one to try, but I have my doubts on being able to finish it lol

I've built a Eduard's F6F (the british Helcatt dual combo) and they are much better than Hase's, particularly the "grin" and the engineering of horizontal surfaces. The wheels well are much better detailed, but the wheels themselves are thinner and the propeler is noticebly less detailed. Overal, the kit is better than Hase's.

I think Eduard's paid a little too much atention to "Expertens" on the FW-190 case, as oposed to listenning real modelers.

GGoheen- I have the Eduard kit and I agree with you 100%. Plus I do build allot of Luftwaffe subjects in fact the last two show I went to I have placed a 1st place award at JAXCON 09- HE111 and second place at Modelpalooza Orlando 09- Do335... toot toot...(that was my own horn). I think its great that you can freely comment on a crappy kit without being criticized for doing so I was not afforded that same courtesy in the past. Forgive me but my tongue in cheek remark was only designed to remind some of those hypocrites how petty they really are. You wrote "Now then....when do we get to discuss poorly engineered P-51's? "

my answer is- apparently never- not here on ARC. :D

Greg,

Thanks for your post here. I usually go out of my way when it comes to "stirring the pot" but honestly couldn't take anymore of the outstanding reviews this kit was getting. In other words, I certainly didn't do it to gain any attention...positive or negative...as much as just wanting to get the "REAL" word out there that this is truly more than a challenging kit but, in fact, quite poorly designed. I wasn't too worried about the criticism either as I have pretty thick skin to that stuff and do know some modelers that have really spent a lot of time reworking things to actually make a very nice build from this kit.

Outstanding work on the recent showpieces you did too, as the He 111 is certainly a favorite of mine as well. :rolleyes:

Respectfully,

Greg Goheen

I think Eduard's paid a little too much atention to "Expertens" on the FW-190 case, as oposed to listenning real modelers.

So, you're saying that people who just want shake 'n' bake kits are real modellers, and people who can handle the Eduard Fw190 aren't? IF I had to make such a comparison I would say the real modellers are the ones being able to put together the Eduard Fw190s.

Although I have not finished any of my Eduard Fw190s yet I know they require more work than the Tamiya kits. However, I have also seen people complain about the Eduard Bf110s (poor fit etc.), and working on one right now I cannot see where they are coming from! Sure, some areas require a bit of filler but isn't that just what's expected?!? As a (real?) modeller I tend to think so!

Regards,

Jens

So, you're saying that people who just want shake 'n' bake kits are real modellers, and people who can handle the Eduard Fw190 aren't? IF I had to make such a comparison I would say the real modellers are the ones being able to put together the Eduard Fw190s.

Although I have not finished any of my Eduard Fw190s yet I know they require more work than the Tamiya kits. However, I have also seen people complain about the Eduard Bf110s (poor fit etc.), and working on one right now I cannot see where they are coming from! Sure, some areas require a bit of filler but isn't that just what's expected?!? As a (real?) modeller I tend to think so!

Regards,

Jens

No, Jen, I didn't write that. I meant Eduard's 190 are more difficult to built because Eduard tried to incorporate features demanded by "Expertens", those class of people that know everything about FW190 and Me-109 and never build one, because all of them have faults, being deemed unbuildable. From what I've read, the kits are harder to built than Tamiya's and Hase's FW-190, but aren't unbuildable.

Also, my experiences with a Eduard kit (F6F) recommends them a lot. And while I like Tamiya's kits, I also very fond of ICM's spit mkIXs