I had "stand by the airplane and answer questions" duty in the hangar yesterday, so missed photoing most of the flying displays, but thought I'd share some of the more interesting static displays:

P1000554.jpg

F-16B MLU F-35 chase

P1000553.jpg

X-47B JUCAS mockup

P1000558.jpg

Boeing X-48C (with X-48B, NASA Pred. B and Global Hawk in background)

P1000498.jpg

F-16D Block 50 ACAT testbed

P1000500.jpg

NASA YO-3

P1000548.jpg

Rutan White Knight

P1000546.jpg

...and White Knight 2. WK2 did a fly-by

P1000535.jpg

Flight Research's J-35XD. Former Danish Air Force

P1000513.jpg

Flight Research's Impala. South African built MB.326

P1000507.jpg

CAF A6M5. Unlike the Chino Zeke, this has a Pratt R1830, but is otherwise pretty original

The logistics of the show were a bit of a fiasco. They seemed un-prepared for the number of people that showed up, even though they knew 500K folks were predicted to show up. I heard stories from visitors of 3 and 4 hours to get on base, they ran out of food, etc. The flying show was a little better paced than in the past, though.

Thanks for being one of the "stand by the airplane and answer questions" guys EDWMatt, a thankless job I'm sure.

And yeah, the logistics of getting on and off base seemed pretty messed up. I got to the gate area around 7:15am, and traffic was stopped, and didn't start moving until 7:30 or so. Traffic leaving the lot I was in did not move for well over an hour. Cars were lined up in the driveways, but didn't move at all. Then suddenly, we started moving and got right off the base.

The flight schedule was right on, for the most part though. The only difference I found from the printed schedule was no Global Hawk fly-by, and the delay from the F-22 technical problem. Otherwise, you could practically set your watch by it. And thanks for the photos - I wanted to get more static shots, but keeping up with the flying, and getting in later than planeed with the crowds around them made it tough to get any decent static shots.

Here are a few of my shots.

1U8P8559.jpg

1U8P8829.jpg

1U8P8954.jpg

1U8P9091.jpg

1U8P9103.jpg

1U8P9508.jpg

1U8P9566.jpg

1U8P9846.jpg

1U8P9430.jpg

1U8P9443.jpg

Edited by Ken Cartwright
The flight schedule was right on, for the most part though. The only difference I found from the printed schedule was no Global Hawk fly-by, and the delay from the F-22 technical problem. Otherwise, you could practically set your watch by it. And thanks for the photos - I wanted to get more static shots, but keeping up with the flying, and getting in later than planeed with the crowds around them made it tough to get any decent static shots.

Beautiful shots, Ken!

The Global Hawk flyby was canceled because the FAA would not allow it. The FAA has jurisdiction during the show. They are tremendously paranoid about UAV's The Predator guys gave up on their flyby several weeks earlier. The AF Global Hawk folks negotiated up until the last minute, but the FAA still said "no" Friday night, so they gave up and landed at 4:30am and towed down to the hangar.

I had "stand by the airplane and answer questions" duty in the hangar yesterday, so missed photoing most of the flying displays, but thought I'd share some of the more interesting static displays:

P1000507.jpg

CAF A6M5. Unlike the Chino Zeke, this has a Pratt R1830, but is otherwise pretty original

Great shots from the show but actually that's an A6M3 Model 22 and not an A6M5.

CAF SoCal Zero

Cheers,

John

Great shots from the show but actually that's an A6M3 Model 22 and not an A6M5.

CAF SoCal Zero

Cheers,

John

Right you are! Good catch! I actually know better, but for some reason I typed "A6M5"

Few more shots from the show:

P1000506.jpg

CAF's F8F-2

P1000512.jpg

P1000532.jpg

P-40N

P1000505.jpg

CAF's AN-2

P1000531.jpg

TBM Inc.'s C-130A

P1000511.jpg

Yak-18T