1/72 OV-10G "Super Bronco"

Thanks to some creative modeller who thought in public about updating a Bronco to a modern COIN-aircraft (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=191006&hl=Bronco) I started my newest project.

At first I have to say that I admire those modellers that have the patience and precision to scratchbuild parts, preferrebly multiple parts of the same size. I can try to do 6 identical rods and end up with 6 that don´t look like each other. And this will be a problem here since I plan to do a lot of things that needs to be symmetric. Well...

OK, the kit I´ve chosen is Academys wonderful OV-10D. Since the model will receive some updates I decided to first do some new engines, or, to be more precise, to enlarge the old ones.

Here you can see what I did:

DSCN4093.jpg

So the engines now are 1cm (or 72cm "in real") longer and will hopefully give more power.

Then I removed the side-sponsons.

DSCN4094.jpg

And the best of all (so far): New props! I dug out some old B-17 propellers and cut off the blades. Here you can see the gathering of 12 blades that will later form two 6-blade-propellers.

DSCN4092.jpg

The spinner is made of some old ECM-thingie of an Airfix AC-130.

HAJO

OK, some more pictures.

The first one shows the parts I´m very happy with: The props. I used some kind of form to give each blade the same angle and it turned out quite good I think.

DSCN4111.jpg

Then up to the new designed engines, dryfitted to the wing.

DSCN4115.jpg

DSCN4116.jpg

As you can see I glued the motor-front-plates upside down. This time I did it for purpose, last time I did so was when I built a OV-10A as a contest model and had a major brain malfunction... :worship:

BRechts.jpg

And the new gun system. As you can see it´s a M230 stolen from an Italeri AH-64, but the mount is coming from a Revell Tiger-helicopter.

DSCN4113.jpg

This will also be one of the few fixed-wing aircraft that get a crew (I usually don´t spend my few figures to jets and other aircraft to have more for my helos). I had to cut off the legs because otherwise these two guys won´t fit. It´s strange, they remind me of my grandpa who lost both legs when he stepped on a mine at the eastern front in 1942.

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

Hmm, I´m afraid I don´t dare to touch the wing-tips...

As for the engine-nacelles: I´m still looking for good ideas, so far haven´t found much...

The pilots are from Italeris Pilots & Ground Crew set, I corrected their arms a little bit to make them sit in the cockpit.

HAJO

Hi Hajo,

once again quite a project you are wokring at (as if you didn't already start quite a big, long term project this year - as I did ;-) ).

Remember the old Airfix OV-10D NOGS.... they actually tried fitting a gun in a turret beneath the fuselage which was reflected in that kit.

Thinking about the airframe itself - how about something with the rear cargodoor? Maybe some rearfiring guns or some sensor/damage assessment equipment?

Since you are already using the long-nosed OV-10D, what about going a little bit over the top and doing a "nose-job" to the nose. The OV-10D itself being approx 20-30 years old, a new form of sensor turret might be optically interesting.

I am really looking forward to what you are doing with the kit.

Cheers

Thorsten

Edit: As for those engine nacelles - I would try to sculpt something out of 2-part epoxy. Either white milliput or something similar from the home improvement store.

Edited by Thorsten Wieking

I already thought about installing a TADS from the AH-64 at the nose. Problem is, as much as I´d like to put a lot o sensors and stuff to this bird, these things are draggy as hell. I know I´m installing more powerful engines, but at a certain point all the lumps and bumps would slow that Bronco down - regardless of the power.

Thorsten, of course I know that NOGS, I have built one years ago. This time I took the M230 because it´s quality over quantity. ;-)

No rear-firing stuff, but I thought about doing some IR-disco-light analogue to the one on top.

Well, I will keep you informed about the changes this bird will undergo.

HAJO

Some progress.

I found a solution to upgrade the engine section with some details, pictures of that later.

First some impressions of the main-section, with a new installed HUD, crew in it´s seats and a FLIR that I made a bit longer. I will also mount the TADS some time later, it will be behind the gun-mount and provide side-angle and back-view target acquisition.

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

HAJO

And the engines!

You´ll never guess what I used for the additional intake and the new exhaust: I first planned to use plastic straws (OK, I did it for the suppressors) but then my view fell on the not used engine of an Alouette III by Heller. So I cut the two engine halfs in the middle and got a nice new intake (formerly the exhaust) and an exhaust (formerly the turbine section).

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

HAJO

OK, most of the construction is done, next step will be painting the beast!

Until now I didn´t attached the gun-mount, I wanted to see how the bird looks "clean".

IMG_0203.jpg

I added an A-4 Skyhawk-style refueling probe and ESM-sensors on the tail.

IMG_0202.jpg

Also new are a pair of chaff/flare-launcher openings on each boom.

IMG_0201.jpg

I added an additional pair of pylons, so this Bronco has 4 hardpoints. I plan to add two fuel-tanks and two quadruple Hellfire-launchers.

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

HAJO