F/A-18F VFA-211 "Fighting Checkmates"

Thanks for the kind words gentleman!... :P

Do me a favor and email me some pics of this beauty for our gallery when you are finished will ya?

You got it dude!... I'll even break out the lights and tripod for this one... :cheers:

Mark

Here's an update of my progress over the last week or so.

The ejection seats have been finished off and are ready to be installed.

SH_VFA_211_bld36.jpg

The landing gear legs have been attached.

SH_VFA_211_bld37.jpg

SH_VFA_211_bld38.jpg

The loadout is almost completed. I just need to finish off the one GBU-12

SH_VFA_211_bld39.jpg

I've started weathering it a bit as well with some pastel dust.

SH_VFA_211_bld40.jpg

My weathering is a little over done in some places but I plan to tone it down a bit with a filtered clear coat....I just love the looks of those tail markings... :cheers:

SH_VFA_211_bld41.jpg

The exhausts are done but have not been glued on yet. The decals for the inside of the exhaust are a real bear to deal with. They sure look cool though, but they look just a little bit too large to me.

SH_VFA_211_bld42.jpg

Here are the windscreen and canopy test fit, I'll attach these after I finish applying the clear coats.

SH_VFA_211_bld43.jpg

Another image showing the IFR prob test fit. I also painted the pizza box and the gun muzzle.

SH_VFA_211_bld44.jpg

I still have lots of small details to do before I can call this one finished but it's getting there.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Gorgeous! One little question, though. It looks as though the VFA-211 is slanted forward on the spine. Is it supposed to be slanted backwards? Most of the SH markings I've seen have them backward, but they may very well be forward on -211's jets.

Thanks for your input Darren, and damn if you don't have an amazing eye for detail. You also managed to pick up on an issue I've been wondering about regarding the placement of some of these markings but I'll get more into that later. If I understand you correctly you are referring to the red VFA-211 on the fuselage spine and if I understand the instruction correctly it shows the red VFA-211 as being straight and level in relation to the aircraft. That is , to me, it doesn't appear to be slanted up or down but rather straight in relation to the direction of flight of the aircraft.

ABdecal_VFA-211_Instr.jpg

I took a look at the placement of the red VFA-211 markings on my model and you are correct. Each one is at a slightly nose high attitude. When I look at the model with my Mk1 eyeball it is barley noticeable, but it becomes quite apparent in a still image.

SH_VFA_211_bld45.jpg

SH_VFA_211_bld46.jpg

Thanks for noticing Darren, I'm not sure I can do anything about it now, but others contemplating doing this particular scheme may want to take note.

Mark

Mark, its coming along beautifully !

I think Darren means the way the letters and numbers of "VFA-211" are italicized ...

ie: VFA-211

He means the letters should have a lean towards the aft of the jet ...

HTH ...

It truly is looking great, one of my favorite Rhino schemes ...

Gregg

GreyGhost explained it better than I did. Regardless, it's an absolutely beautiful build. I wouldn't worry about that small tidbit at all. The rest of the build makes it hard to notice. If you really, really wanted to fix it (I wouldn't bother), I've got an extra set of VFA-211 markings that I'd be more than happy to send you. Just PM if you'd like them.

Thanks for the clarification Gregg... :doh:

GreyGhost explained it better than I did. Regardless, it's an absolutely beautiful build. I wouldn't worry about that small tidbit at all. The rest of the build makes it hard to notice. If you really, really wanted to fix it (I wouldn't bother), I've got an extra set of VFA-211 markings that I'd be more than happy to send you. Just PM if you'd like them.

Dang, now I see what you are referring to. Thanks for pointing that out. I might or might not have noticed it eventually but at least now I can do something about it.

I started this build in an effort to learn more about this particular plane and get a feel for this kit and I've certainly done that. As it turns out I liked theses markings so much I ordered another set last week so I could do the 60th Anniversary jet. Since then I have had a couple of other small decaling issues, such as I placed one of the crew names on upside down and didn't notice it until the next morning and had to pull it off with tape, as well as a few others where the placement is not entirely correct. I was just going to live with it as it was, but now I think I'll just use that sheet I ordered and redo the mistakes. I very much appreciate your generosity Darren and if I mess up this other sheet I'll be sure to take you up on your kind offer... :D

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Mark

Thanks again to Darren for pointing out the mistake I made with the placement of the 'VFA-211' decals... :coolio:

Nothing a piece of tape and a new set of decals couldn't fix... :sunrevolves:

SH_VFA_211_bld47.jpg

The underside has been dirtied up some with varying shades of pastel dust.

SH_VFA_211_bld48.jpg

Now that the Olympics are over I hope to regain my focus on this project and finally get this one finished off.

Thanks again for looking,

Mark

Just noticed you have the outboard flaps set in the down position - when the wings are folded, they're in the up position.

Thanks John!...

When I first assembled the wing tips I glued the flap/ailerons in the down position because I preferred them that way. It was only afterwards that I became concerned I had possibly made a mistake. However after a quick search on Airliners.net I found numerous images of Super Hornets with this wing configuration. Perhaps someone who knows more about the SH will chime in and set me straight on this.

I just realized I have made a mistake by attaching the wedge shape thing between the MLG though.

SH_VFA_211_bld50.jpg

This 'Towed Decoy' would not be there when the SH is configured with a centerline fuel tank and of course I'm planning on using a centerline tank. I'll make note of that for my next SH build... :bandhead2:

I'm hoping to get the dull coat on and start attaching all of the rest of the bit's soon.

Mark

Just curious....what mistake did you make attaching the piece between the MLG?

On second thought, I don't think I did actually. I got confused (which is not hard to do these days) and thought that the towed decoy wasn't used with a centerline fuel tank in place, but it's actually only when the centerline refueling pod is being used that the towed decoy is removed.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Finished... Sort of.

I still need to find some mirrors for the front of the canopy so that part is dry fit. Everything else is done though...

FA_18F_VFA_211_01.jpg

I'll post more pic's of the completed model in the finished build thread when I get a chance.

Thanks for a fun GB everyone. I wish there was more time so I could do a VF-211 F-14A.

Mark