With all the talk about the Airfix F-27 reissue I have started one of mine.

I will sand all the detail off, it is hard to keep it intact with the sanding required.

F-27InworkSM.jpg

I have removed the undersized tail fillet here and will replace with a resin part, the replacement is still not the right size but I am not worrying about it (it is still a little short). I have also filled the cabin window openings with epoxy and superglue instead of using the undersized transparency pieces. I am using an aftermaket decal that has cabin windows on it so I am not concerned about keeping the openings clear.

F-27TailSM.jpg

The replacement fillet is in place here as are the replacement intake scoop and the fairing behind the horizontal stab mount. Some more filling has been done since this shot was taken.

F-27nosecompare.jpg

Here is the dissappointing part of the kit, the new radar nose. You would think the guys that did the tooling would make an effort to at least get the nose shape right! In the left hand picture the nose has been attached, you can see the bulge after the join. I think it must be the AEW version that Fokker proposed to the RAF is using the leftover Nimrod radomes on. :cheers:

The nose is actually very pointed. I have tried to reshape it in the picture on the right, fortunately the new nose plastic is quite thick so a fair bit of material can be removed.

F-27sideSM.jpg

Here is a side shot of the nose after a lot of filing.

Back to the bench... :worship:

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Looks like you are off to a good start. I am working on mine as well. I am building OOB. I have done the same and sanded off most of the raised panel lines and filled all the windows. The nose was a pig...I used alot of epoxy putty and resanded to a more respectable shape. What livery are you planning for it.....I am leaning towards the TAA scheme.

Chris

Looks like you are off to a good start. I am working on mine as well. I am building OOB. I have done the same and sanded off most of the raised panel lines and filled all the windows. The nose was a pig...I used alot of epoxy putty and resanded to a more respectable shape. What livery are you planning for it.....I am leaning towards the TAA scheme.

Chris

Mine will be in an Airlines of New South Wales scheme.

1999.293.jpg1999.238.jpg

I now have about 5 of these kits so I may do one in the kit TAA decals as well.

Does anyone know if any Hughes Airwest decals have been made for this kit?

Flightpath does a set of Hughes Airwest decals in 1/72. You can find them at AHS. The NSW scheme will look sharp. Are you doing custom decals for this sheme? Looking forward to watching your progress, keep us posted.

Chris

Flightpath does a set of Hughes Airwest decals in 1/72. You can find them at AHS. The NSW scheme will look sharp. Are you doing custom decals for this sheme? Looking forward to watching your progress, keep us posted.

Chris

Chris,

I am using a proof sheet for a soon to be released set from Hawkeye Models Australia. They are doing a series of Aussie subject F-27 sheets in 1/72 for the Airfix kit. They will also be useable on the Esci kit as a additional fin fillet decals are supplied since the Esci kit fillet is larger than the Airifx one. The Airfix fillet is undersize.

I got some sanding completed last night and have attached a wing and horizontal stab. Some more filling required but it is progressing nicely.

:nanner:

Got the wings and stabs on last night, as suspected some filler was required and there is a nice step between the wing and fuselage join. I have also started to clean up the resin replacement undercarriage struts. To say the Airfix parts are agricultural is an under statement! Anyway the resin replacements will look a lot better when installed.

I will have some pictures onthe next installment.

:lol:

Great work so far Ray... :lol:

There sure is a lot of dressing up required for the airfix kit! I've had fantasies of converting a "27" to an FH-227 for a long time; watching your progress is interesting and inspiring!

Our primary car bit the dust a couple weeks ago, exactly one year after getting it paid off.... so I've been busy securing another one. Projects had to be put on hold in the meantime because I just can't concentrate when there's something pending like that. Got another one yesterday, so will be back at the bench soon.

Looking forward to the updates! :whistle:

Take care,

Frank

Some progress to report.

Here it is with wings on and a test print of the decal sheet to be used.

F-27decalsSM.jpg

So the big thing stopping me was the replacement gear, so I attacked them tonight. Here is a comparison of the kit and resin gear, you can see the resin attachement points are wider than the kit ones.

F-27Struts1SM.jpg

because the rear part of the strut is straight I had to separate the top section and pin it at a more appropriate angle

F-27Strutassembly.jpg

Side view test fit in the wells.

F-27Maingear1SM.jpg

and finally with one installed, I had to cut down the attachment points to make them fit in the locating holes and slots for the kit gear. Some cutting, drilling and pinning got the job done.

F-27Maingear2SM.jpg

So once I have the other strut assembled and in place I will need to putty and sand both nacelles before attaching to the wings. Did you notice the sink marks on the rear of the untaped nacelle?

That's it for now.

Wow, quite a difference between the kit & resin main gear strut! Where'd you get the resin?

Keeping watch on this one.... :banana:

Take care,

Frank

Very nice work Ray! I have to second Franks question. The resin gear looks much nicer. Oh where oh where did you get those from?

Thanks gents,

The update set is from Hamilton Hobbies. A very nice gentleman operating out of Sydney, Australia. He has no website but posts his merchandise on the Aussie Modeller Forums.

Here are some links to his For Sale Ads on that forum.

F-27 Update

RAN F-27-500

CSIRO Research F-27

These sets all come with the basic parts from the F-27 update:

* Replacement Tail fillet

* Extra Windows (x2)

* Main wheels (x4)

* Rear fuselage intakes (x2)

* Tail fairings

Plus the specifis parts for the other types like fuselage plugs for the -500.

They are limited run (life of the moulds) so it is good to get in early to get what you want.

Hope this helps

:stooges:

I now have the nacelles together and on the wings.

F-27AssySM2.jpg

F-27AssySM1.jpg

I just thought I would point out a trap for young players. I had one nacelle glued and and test fitted the other putting it on its gear...and gues what? It was a tail sitter!

I thought I had enough lead in the nose cone, it was not the case. Fortunately I was able to slip some more weight into the forward part of each nacelle. So after ensuring it would not be tail sitting I glued the other nacelle in place.

So next is masking the windscreen and installing it and then cleaning up the resin wheels and finishing up the other fiddly bits.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Kev

I have fitted the windscreen now after a little hassle. I had futured and masked it up only to find the clear peice is slightly too wide. So I glued it in and had to sand it back flush with the cockpit walls. So much for the masking! After polishing it up I re-futured it and found some glue had got on the inside of one of the panels. I am in 2 minds about painting over and using a decal or remasking it.

F-27WindscreenSM1.jpg

:), G'day Ray,

great work there on the F-27. I noticed one of the pics you put up shows VH-MMV. I have just bought 2 of these kits and one will be built in TAA colours. The other will be built in the original MacRobertson-Miller Airlines livery as VH-MMS. 30 odd years ago I went up one Friday night with a friend out of Wagga around the Riverina area in a Cessna 182. WE planned to land at Griffith and twenty miles out MMR called an all stations Griffith area call with his intentions. We replied and asked if he would like us to orbit and allow him to go first, to which he answered "No, we have quite a few drunks aboard tonight and they've been giving our hosties a hard time since we left Sydney. They can wait, we'll follow you fellas in with a 120 knot approach if you could kindly do a cruise approach for us." We replied that we could oblige him, no worries at all. My friend was an old WW2 22 Sqn Boston observer and a devout Christian and we had a good belly laugh at the Friendship captain's comments. When he landed we saw what he was talking about, some could hardly stand up.

:o,

Ross.

Yes, I too have been following along with this build. You are doing a great job indeed. She's really looking good now. Thanks for all the traps along the way as I have one to build one day..............actually I got it because of this build thread!

Cheers

Anthony