AC-130U 1:48 Italeri (A kiwi's version)

No Idea what the port threat scanner looks like so I guessed :thumbsup:

Take a pen barrel, some evergreen, variuos grades of wire and a lot of imagination you get this.

adom-20091018-001-2.jpg

adom-20091018-002-2.jpg

adom-20091018-003-2.jpg

Add some paint and more imagination it becomes this...

adom-20091019-005.jpg

adom-20091019-006.jpg

adom-20091019-007.jpg

Hard to believe that took me two days

and the top console

adom-20091019-008.jpg

Onwards and upwards.

Andrew MacKay

I don't think the U model has or had that light. The older gunships did have a big light up on the tail on the left side, but it has been removed for ages. With the state of night vision lights and flares for illumination was not required. I think they called it the 20kw searchlight and I was told that it got hot enough that you could cool a hotdog on a stick with it. Really don't want to "rivet count" on you because that light assembly looks awesome.

Curt

I don't think the U model has or had that light. The older gunships did have a big light up on the tail on the left side, but it has been removed for ages. With the state of night vision lights and flares for illumination was not required. I think they called it the 20kw searchlight and I was told that it got hot enough that you could cool a hotdog on a stick with it. Really don't want to "rivet count" on you because that light assembly looks awesome.

Curt

It's not supposed to be a light Curt, but just a guess as to what the port side threat scanner looks like.. There doesn't seem to be any photos / drawings of this.

Andrew

Ahhh, you are talking about what's behind the big window on the right side. The scanner (at least in 2000, the last time I saw a U model) is a person. The AC-130H also has a right scanner and I know for a fact that a MK1 eyeball does that job.

Curt

Dang... oh well they just got an upgrade "Wide angle highspeed Infrared/LiDar scanner" :cheers:

Cheers for that Curt

Andrew

Got a little more done ...

adom-20091027-002.jpg

adom-20091027-003.jpg

Not happy with the rack, so need to rebuild it ...

adom-20091027-004.jpg

The steps don't quite fit, so will need to do a bit of fileing on the base of them to get the fuselage to close up.

adom-20091027-005.jpg

The new U (mk2) boat threat scanner in place, one less boaring job for the crew.

adom-20091028-007.jpg

This is the bit you will see with the ramp open, really pleased with how it's comming togeather.

adom-20091028-008.jpg

adom-20091028-009.jpg

adom-20091028-010.jpg

adom-20091028-012.jpg

Time to move on to the big guns...

Love those ammunition cases, how did you do them? B)

In with the Kit is a cabinet not sure what the part number is ... I marked it out and drilled 1 heap of 3mm holes, then with some scrap styrene for the latches, the 40mm is a couple of bits of sheet styrene glued at a right angle with some 2mm strip glued to the front.

In with the Kit is a cabinet not sure what the part number is ... I marked it out and drilled 1 heap of 3mm holes, then with some scrap styrene for the latches, the 40mm is a couple of bits of sheet styrene glued at a right angle with some 2mm strip glued to the front.

So there is! I might have to steal that idea, I was about to scratch build a cabinet!

So there is! I might have to steal that idea, I was about to scratch build a cabinet!

Thats fine... I'm going to be using your gun designs for mine.

BTW I've started soldering the PE togeather as it's easier than trying to glue with CA, the flightpath stuff is realy thick and heavy.

Andrew

Great looking gun!

As for the Crew Chief figure.....

Just make them dirty and out of uniform....

Here are three actual C-130 crew Chiefs

DSC00061.jpg

Here is one in the standard " This sucks" position.

DSC00033.jpg

My troop Anthoan and Rommel. Rommel is a civilian working manning assist with us. 40+ Years working airplanes. most on the Herk.

DSC00035.jpg

My buddy Matt doing what he does best!

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

Anthoan doing his thing.... Texting AGAIN!!

DSC00064.jpg

And last, but not least.. Yours truly. Note the cigs sticking out of the pocket.

Meatwork.jpg

Edited by C-130CrewChief
That looks Awesome Andrew! Slightly more refined than mine, very smart! What are you using for wires? Im using thin brass rod, which is really not very easy to bend.

Keep it up! :salute:

Ben

0.25mm coated wire from the local electronics store, I have a roll of 0.4 and some 0.3 & 0.7 solder that I use also. 100mt rolls are very cheap.

My day job is in IT so I have access to all sorts of offcuts of various grades of wire.

Cheers

Andrew Mac

Great looking gun!

As for the Crew Chief figure.....

Just make them dirty and out of uniform....

Here are three actual C-130 crew Chiefs

DSC00061.jpg

Here is one in the standard " This sucks" position.

DSC00033.jpg

My troop Anthoan and Rommel. Rommel is a civilian working manning assist with us. 40+ Years working airplanes. most on the Herk.

DSC00035.jpg

My buddy Matt doing what he does best!

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

Anthoan doing his thing.... Texting AGAIN!!

DSC00064.jpg

And last, but not least.. Yours truly. Note the cigs sticking out of the pocket.

Meatwork.jpg

Ta Curt, I actually have a camo jacket just like those, I'll get the 105 finished then might get a little figure painting done.

Andrew M

:banana:

This is looking simply freaking sweet! the detail you're putting into this is just amazing, you should almost make the top removable to see all that detail. :salute:

Another note, doesn't the Bofors use a 6-round magazine? Never mind, forgot what it looked like.

Edited by sv51macross