AC-130U 1:48 Italeri (A kiwi's version)

Missed these with the LEDs Andrew - that looks really good! I assume you are going to change the elevation of the 105mm external part - its molded pointing horizontal to the fuselage. Thats why I did my inside piece horizontal. :thumbsup:

It's kinda fixed in place ... If you dont tell anyone I won't :worship:

A little more done....

adom-20091208-001.jpg

adom-20091208-002.jpg

adom-20091208-003.jpg

There's an aluminium sleeve through the fuse and another that slides through this into the wings.. hopefully this will prevent cracking along the fuse join.

The Flightpath flaps are a wonder though as it says in the instructions you do need to solder it togeather as there is a lot of stress on the ribs getting it all to fit.

I'm starting to think about colours also, and will go with Tamiya's XF66 on the top and XF22 (lightened) on the bottom, but will patch things a bit with different shades.

The arm is still acting up so can only spend an hour at a time working on this.

Cheers and thanks for all the feedback

Andrew

Looking good Andrew! Those Flightpath flaps look very nice. :moai: Are your engine nacelles extended, or just filler-ed?

With the wings, I've got that plastic rod through and a brass bar for extra strength. Melted the plastic with lots of glue on the joins and fused them, then covered with lots of filler. Hopefully it will stand up to the weight!

Cant wait to see more!

Ben

We have colour :wacko:

Give that I will not be glueing the wings on... easier to transport, I though it would be interesting to get one part of this beast finished.

adom-20091212-001.jpg

adom-20091212-002.jpg

adom-20091212-003.jpg

going for the patchy weathered look ... Base coat of Tamiya xf66 or 24 then lighten with matt white and spray randomish patterns.

also Darken/Lighten random panels.

Quite happy with the result

That looks very good Andrew! :wacko: I reckon you could do a bit more smoke staining for the exhausts though, all the photos I've seen show that area to be almost completely black!

How are you going to ensure a decent looking join without glueing the wings on?

That looks very good Andrew! :wacko: I reckon you could do a bit more smoke staining for the exhausts though, all the photos I've seen show that area to be almost completely black!

How are you going to ensure a decent looking join without glueing the wings on?

The join looks ok ... its called compromise B)

Hate to be the bearer of bad news Andrew, but the ends of the props are just plain black, not red striped:

StarboardDetail89-0512.jpg

DISCLAIMER: This is not my photo, but I can't remember where I found it on the net! If the original owner wants me to remove it, I will do.

Still, the paintwork does look pretty darn good! Are the roots of the engines the metal parts from the flightpath set? They really standout well! :thumbsup:

Edited by OriginalMonty
Hate to be the bearer of bad news Andrew, but the ends of the props are just plain black, not red striped:

DISCLAIMER: This is not my photo, but I can't remember where I found it on the net! If the original owner wants me to remove it, I will do.

Still, the paintwork does look pretty darn good! Are the roots of the engines the metal parts from the flightpath set? They really standout well! :)

Ta bud,

The engine parts are from the kit.. just blasted them with Tamiya aluminium and washed with paynes grey oil.

As for the props .... to late ...

Modeling is fun accuracy is optional :)

Andrew

Really excellent job so far mate.... I am only surprised that you decided to paint before attaching the wings and the inevitable filling that will be required. Sorry if I missed the reason in an earlier post but I did read to find out first.

Anyway, I hope you manage to colour match as each paint manufacturer manufactures things like paint in batches. Try to get the same batch or you run the risk of colour mismatch on the starboard wing.

ps. small point but the Allison turboprop cover has a small inlet in the middle you might want to replicate.

If you want to know more about this engine - visit http://www.t56.com/

"Engines and Things" also do a very nice Allison T-56 turboprop engine in resin if ou wanted to show it. Visit http://www.telusplanet.net/public/engthg/

Edited by loki

He said at the beginning of his above post that he's building it so that the wings are removable, hence the gap.

Really excellent job so far mate.... I am only surprised that you decided to paint before attaching the wings and the inevitable filling that will be required. Sorry if I missed the reason in an earlier post but I did read to find out first.

Awesome work so far! Ive seriously considered doing one of these in 1/48. I have a friend who is a gunner on one of these things, so thats what has made me interested in doing it.

Edited by Adam Baker
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still, the paintwork does look pretty darn good! Are the roots of the engines the metal parts from the flightpath set? They really standout well! :monkeydance:

You will also have to paint that stencil of John Wayne on the prop blade :bandhead2:

Just kidding, your gunship looks great. I really like the restrained panel line weathering. Overdoing that seems to be a common practice these days, never thought it was particularly realistic.

Looking forward to more pictures of your progress.

John