filling large panel lines

I am contemplating building a couple of Hobbycraft kits that feature out of scale recessed panel lines. I was wondering what would be better..fill in the panel lines with thin styrene rod or to use ACC before rescribing?

Regards,

Don Weixl

I use putty if it's not too deep, or styrene rod for deeper ones. I've never been a fan of the hardness or brittleness of CA.

There are two ways I fill lines with rods, depending on the nature of the line. I might place a rod in the line, use some liquid glue, wait about 30 seconds (enough to soften the plastic of the rod, but after it has bonded to the model), and then mash the rod down to fill in the panel line with a flat knife. Another way is to use a rod that completely fills in the panel line, glue it, wait until it completely dries, and shave or sand off the top of the rod to make a flush surface.

I am contemplating building a couple of Hobbycraft kits that feature out of scale recessed panel lines. I was wondering what would be better..fill in the panel lines with thin styrene rod or to use ACC before rescribing?

Regards,

Don Weixl

I carefully sanded down an Emhar Demon which is famous for oversize panel lines. I sanded the whole model with 800 grit wet. It took awhile but came out pretty good and at the same time cut down the trailing edges more to scale.

If you are planning to rescribe the lines I would suggest using liquid sovlent to "melt" small bits of the kit plastic and make "plastic putty". There are a few recent topics here in the tools and tip about this.