1/32 AV-8B Instructions up

It already has two reviews and the kit isn't even out yet (average 1.5 out of 6).

One thing that is of concern to me is the images don't include a good shot with the canopy installed. Trumpeter always pooches canopies, the guy who makes them must wear coke bottle glasses.

There was a build up thread over on LSP, but things were said, furniture was broken, and it got pulled. Looked like a nice build to me.
Build up thread and finished thread are still there. Tigger gave it a 9.5 out of 10. Looks like a pretty nice kit! Too bad it is so pricey. I'll only be buying 1.
To answer the question about if the Marines (USMC) use the gun pod, yes, they still do use the gun.

And the "thingie" in the front, just aft of the nose gear, is called a LIDS, Lift Improvement Device System, which provided an addition 12% lift during takeoffs and landings.The Spanish & the Italians have the capability to carry the gun/pod, not sure if they do thou.

Reddog :cheers:

You beat me too it. I've got plenty of shots of current USMC Harriers with the GAU-12 installed.

Build up thread and finished thread are still there. Tigger gave it a 9.5 out of 10. Looks like a pretty nice kit! Too bad it is so pricey. I'll only be buying 1.

Thanks for clarifying, I missed it that last time I looked. I figured the broo haha had mde it go boom!

We can only hope Zactoman will make the USMC GAU-12 pods his next project.

This would be funny but for the $ Trump is asking (and GETTING) for these kits.

The world wonders...

I hope someone else than zacto does them. Don't get me wrong, his stuff is great, but way overpriced.

I hope someone else than zacto does them. Don't get me wrong, his stuff is great, but way overpriced.

Really? I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in hearing which items of his you feel are overpriced and how much you believe they should cost. Please remember to take into account that Chris not only casts these pieces, but researches and creates them from scratch, packages them and is the sole distributor and vendor. Also take into account the unique subject matter of his items, the scope of some of his corrections/conversions, and the limited numbers in which they are produced. Frankly with some of his stuff, I am amazed he can get them out the door and stay in business for what he charges.

Didn't we used to have a "popcorn eating" smiley? I think we're gonna have a rumble soon....

Anyhow. Even if this kit has some issues, remember folks: It's an injection molded 1/32 scale AV-8B!!! Even if it takes a little polishing, it's better than the other 1/32 Harrier II.

Zactos stuff overpriced?? :P

I could not agree less. The man's work is easily some of the best in the world and you will never find anything more thoroughly researched, well cast and packaged out there. Not only that Chris is one of the nicest guys in the business. Anyone who is so approachable (and fun to have some cold beers with) will always get my business!!

Anyway, back to the Harrier. If trumpy does the RAF version, will they include both the 65% and 100% LERX??

Cheers

Mike

Didn't we used to have a "popcorn eating" smiley? I think we're gonna have a rumble soon....

No rumble from me, I just like to hear some quantification when people have the opinion that something costs too much. When my elderly mother complains about how much a doctor charges, I ask her how much she thinks a doctor should be paid, based on his or her years of schooling and the service they provide. Without fail her answer is "oh, about a dollar." Cracks me up every time, she is 90 years old after all. We both get a good laugh out of it.

I don't know if there will be differant LERX's - the wing is one piece and it seems that in the instructions the first page of sprue diagrams LOOKS to be the one with all of the common sprues for all versions, the second page have the differing sprues. Also there does not seem to be a 'missing' sprue that a second wing could be included with (a gap in sprue naming).

Now do all USMC versions have the same LERX or does a AV-8B+ have the 100% LERX versus the earlier variants having the smaller one?

For those who may be confused as to what a LERX is, the LERX is the area at the front of the wing, the Leading Edge Root eXtensions that are above the intakes when looking at the. Later RAF versions (GR-7/9) had a larger one than did the earlier AV-8Bs (and GR-5 IIRC). The 48th scale Hasegawa kit has this part separate and gave both a boon to resin guys in creating an aftermarket bit as well as a headache for some builders in getting the area assembled. It may be a better thing to have had this as a whole wing - assembly wise but they may have introduced an 'error' for some of variants.

Edited by Matt Roberts
I don't know if there will be differant LERX's - the wing is one piece and it seems that in the instructions the first page of sprue diagrams LOOKS to be the one with all of the common sprues for all versions, the second page have the differing sprues. Also there does not seem to be a 'missing' sprue that a second wing could be included with (a gap in sprue naming).

Now do all USMC versions have the same LERX or does a AV-8B+ have the 100% LERX versus the earliers having the smaller one?

For those who may be confused as to what a LERX is, the LERX is the area at the front of the wing, the Leading Edge Root eXtensions that are above the intakes when looking at the. Later RAF versions (GR-7/9) had a larger one than did the earlier AV-8Bs (and GR-5 IIRC). The 48th scale Hasegawa kit has this part separate and gave both a boon to resin guys in creating an aftermarket bit as well as a headache for some builders in getting the area assembled. It may be a better thing to have had this as a whole wing - assembly wise but they may have introduced an 'error' for some of variants.

Most RAF jets being GR.7/9s seem to have the 65% LERX (not all though) and all USMC jets have 100% LERX.

IIRC, early GR7s still had the 65% LERX. I believe the plan was to eventually refit them with the 100% LERX, but some still had the smaller LERX even as late as the beginning of OIF.

It looks like Trumpeter would have to make a separate wing sprue for the 100% LERX versions (assuming they actually know there is a difference). My suspicion is that they only include only one wing sprue in the RAF kit, probably the 100% if it’s a GR.7

The AV-8B+ definitely has the 100% LERX and I think the NA has it also. The initial AV-8B as in this kit has the smaller LERX.

It's a problem I have, even if it is my favorite jet, is telling the LERX's apart, unless the Hasegawa bits are laid right next to each other. Even then I have a time telling afterwards on my couple of builds.

It is almost as bad as the old 'Spitfire gull wing' that people used to grouse about on HS, until I was told exactly what to look at I couldn't figure out what the 'ell they were talking about.

I couldn't disagree more--his stuff is superb, and very reasonably priced for what you get.

If you want to build a bug-eyed Su-27 with anemic intakes, go right ahead, but to me it's well worth his price for the just about perfect replacements.

When you factor in the time and effort required to scratch build your own corrections, Zactoman is a great bargain, and I'm not ashamed to say I don't have the skills required.

I like the GAU-12 and I want my Harrier loaded that way, so I'm in for Zacto's set if he does one.

Looking at the instructions and the box photo of the buildup, it looks like the LIDS (the air dam between the front of the gun pods) is wrong. The real thing is in three parts, a large center part and two curved end pieces. When the gun pods are fitted, only the center part is lowered to span the gap between the pods. When the strakes are fitted, the entire thing is lowered because there is a larger gap to span between the narrow strakes. The box photos and instructions seem to show that the full LIDS is used between the gun pods, indicating that it, and presumably its well, is undersized and if you use the strakes there will probably be a large gap between the LIDS and the strake (unless the strakes are mispositioned to ensure no gap).

Also, anyone see any rails for the Sidewinders?

Edited by Dave Williams

The build-up on LSP has missiles on rails, he didn't scratch build them, so they are included. Why not just take a look at his build and draw conclusions from it and his comments about the kit, instead of inferring from what you can or can't seem to find in the scanned instructions?

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...=26425&st=0

As pointed out below, the rails aren't included, so I insert foot in mouth, and carry on

Edited by JasonB

Still too bad that it looks liek a page is missing from the 1999.co.jp instruction scan. I'd figure that would answer at least a couple of the concerns we have mentioned

WV still looks to me like 4 Sidewinder rails and 2 TERs. Doesn't the RAF versions have a differant rail design from the USMC versions - built in chaff or something like that. I'd still be a bit more hacked off that there isn't a Maverick rail.

Well by the time this gets scaled down to more my size (and I have built the 4 remaining Hasegawas in my stash) I'll have had about 8 more rails left from my Kinetic Vipers. I wonder if when HB scales this down we may see the TAV-8B/T-10/12 versions (ala the A-7/TA-7) The breakdown does look like that may be possible though I doubt they'd do it with a 32nd release though. On Britmodeler we had rumours of a new 48th series including two seaters.

Tigger's (aka John's) build looks great. I am waiting for the debate over those colors, wasn't that one a field mixed gray to lighten up the dark green/dark gray scheme the Harriers were in when they deployed

Edited by Matt Roberts
The build-up on LSP has missiles on rails, he didn't scratch build them, so they are included. Why not just take a look at his build and draw conclusions from it and his comments about the kit, instead of inferring from what you can or can't seem to find in the scanned instructions?

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...=26425&st=0

To quote the builder, "You will also note that there are no Maverick or sidewinder launch rails but these are not difficult to fabricate".

Next...

To quote the builder, "You will also note that there are no Maverick or sidewinder launch rails but these are not difficult to fabricate".

Next...

Touche'

Missed that part

Still, his build is a much better ref than pouring over scanned instructions and parts sprues.

Hiding now...