New Paint on a F-18B

I wonder, since VFA-125 isn't an adversary squadron, what is the purpose of a scheme like this? I'm thinking it could be to try out new potential schemes for combat units (this one might work well in the Afghan mountains), or do they just do it because it looks really, really cool?

<_<

An FRS (like VFA-125) for strike/fighter aircraft has the mission (and, therefore, the associated syllabus) to train aviators in all aspects of their particular airframe, including how to 'fight' the aircraft - BFM 'Basic Fighter Maneuvering' or 'dog fighting'. Having various aircraft, each with unique paint schemes, helps with visual recognition/sorting for intercept, etc: e.g. "...I got the green one in the lead going between us; you take the brown trailer stacked high..." These guys will often do the basics within the squadron, and might not see a dedicated adversary bogie driver until late in the training program, or possibly not until they reach their first 'fleet' squadron.

Unfortunately, it isnt anything nearly as dramatic as that. 125 trains both Navy and Marine personel for working on Legacy Hornets. As a form of "kudos" to the Marines, the squadron painted a jet up especially for them, to recognize their accomplishments. Normally, 125s jets say "NAVY" on one side, and "MARINES" on the other. This one says MARINES on both sides. I spoke to the guys who painted it and why, the day I shot the pics of it, which was the day it came out of the paint shop, back in mid-August.

Edited by Spook498
That's darned sharp. It'd certainly make a good-looking model.

I wonder, since VFA-125 isn't an adversary squadron, what is the purpose of a scheme like this? I'm thinking it could be to try out new potential schemes for combat units (this one might work well in the Afghan mountains), or do they just do it because it looks really, really cool?

:rofl:

Since 125 is a RAG or FRS, they are responsible for teaching the basics of how to fly and fight the Hornet to their charges. Part of that is getting the Cones up to speed in BFM, Basic Fighter Maneuvers. This is Hornet versus Hornet where there are no advantages inherent in the aircraft of one pilot or the other; its just one pilot trying to out think the other. Aerial Chess. This is the beginning of the tactics phase of the syllabus and it seems to me that the guys on the west coast; 101, 122, and 125 are really getting into a major espirit de corps mind set by adding several Adversary schemes to their stable especially for this part of in house training. They rarely deploy them away from Lemoore or Miramar for the DACT dets.

The end of the tactics phase is what we usually think about when the squadrons det to Key West to fight the SunDowners for two weeks. Here they learn more about tactics and fighting a dissimilar opponent.

Edited by Fuji
Guy's that Hornet is already done. Been done for awhile now. :) Just haven't posted the sheet up yet, but will soon. For sure one of the better camo schemes I have seen.

Mike

Could we get it in 1/72? very attractive hornet, I think ill have to do this one!!