1/35 Academy M-10

Not too long ago I finished up my first and so far only Armour vehicle - the Academy 1/35 M-10. I wanted this one simply from playing Company of Heroes. Fun game... picked up the Verlinden Accessory set, and a few small extras. Cut down the front fenders as well given pictures of a reference tank I used to help build this one, that matched the same welded pieces on the front end.

First a bit of work that went into it, with the interior, added some things inside that I knew would likely be inside from my experiences being LAV crew... tool box, bags, oil cans, made a pack of lucky strikes as well, and ammo in various levels of preparation for the gunner/loader, wiring for the radio sets, scratch built the seats, and added leaves/mud/dirt:

DSC02649-1.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00415.jpg

The Verlinden set is actually meant for the Tamiya kit, but, with enough sanding and fitting, it worked out:

DSC01986.jpg

DSC01992.jpg

DSC01994.jpg

Fortress,

First off, thank you very much.

I embellished the scratches that were already there by "chipping" it with an X-acto blade until I thought it looked right. Along with the "welds" between panels - some were already there, some weren't, where there weren't any, I used a little filler, and did the same.

As for the rust - I used two colours (Testors "Rust" and "Brown"), and brown pastel chalk. I first applied the brown lightly, and before it had a chance to dry, I gave a little bit of the Rust colour overtop of it down the center to blend it in a little. Then once it was dry, I pretty much drybrushed a little more Rust in a downward direction. Once this was dry, I used a small amount of fine ground brown pastel chalk by dipping a fine tipped brush in a little water, then dipping it in the pastel chalk, and making wet "streaks" over the rust colour. Once it dried, that's what it looked like.

Along the edges, it was a similar way of doing it, but I dry brushed a little silver over the edges to show an exposed edge from paint.

Hope this helps!

Mark.

Very very cool. I was thinking of doing another one - M18. Up around Shilo here I stumbled on something interesting as I walked into the local car parts store - a couple of Cylinder heads getting done up - from a radial engine. Of course I was thinking aircraft - until they said apparently it was from a tank... immediately the M18 came to mind. Sure enough! Oh, there is some cool cool stuff out here if you folks are armoured/artillery fans.

By the way, fun fact: GM powered the M10 with a pair of diesel bus engines. So the poor schmoe who road the bus to work everyday got drafted, thrown in the army, and road around listening to the same %$*$ engine again.

Hahaha, oh, that's awesome!

Paulo, thanks for the comment! I thought it would add a nice touch to the .50, that's where I would have left mine.