Goo Gone as a paint stripper

About a year ago, I wanted to see if there was something other than ELO that I could use to clean up overspray, or as a general stripper. The problem that I have with ELO is that sometimes, it takes a while for it to work and it tends to bleach out some plastics and makes other plastics prone to turning brittle and cracking ( I had to trash a Hasegawa B-25J because it turned brittle and cracked).

I used Goo Gone one day to see what it would do to some unfortunate overspray on a plane, and I haven't used ELO again. The other great thing with Goo Gone is that it has no effects on the plastic. I've also used it to strip bad paint jobs to repaint with great success. I would apply it to a Q-tip and rub the area until the paint comes off. After that, I clean and dry off the area with a clean soft cloth, and it's ready for painting again.

A few other things....

Unlike ELO, GG is non-toxic and has a pleasant orange smell.

An eight ounce bottle of GG costs about half of what an eight ounce bottle of ELO costs.

Unlike ELO, you can find GG at most food stores such as Wal-Mart in the cleaning supplies section.

I have used GG to clean up paint from clear plastic parts without any problems. I won't even try to use ELO for clear parts.

I use the 8 oz squeeze bottle because it's easier to control the amount that I can use. They do have a spray bottle.

Mind one thing though, I haven't used GG to strip cured paint, yet, so I dont know if it will strip old model paint coverings.

gg44.jpg

:)

Edited by Johnopfor
... I used Goo Gone one day to see what it would do to some unfortunate overspray on a plane, and I haven't used ELO again. The other great thing with Goo Gone is that it has no effects on the plastic. I've also used it to strip bad paint jobs to repaint with great success....

Are you removing enamels or acrylics with it?

My alternative to Easy Lift Off and information I've read here, is to use Westley's Bleche-Wite Tire Cleaner. I just used it on my Monogram Hornet landing gear parts that were spray painted with Testors gloss white enamel - painted in 1993! After 24 hours submerged in the cleaner, the paint came off with an old toothbrush and mild soap & water. No harm done to the plastic or resin bits that I needed to strip paint off from. Make sure to wear gloves (I use nitrile gloves, not latex) and goggles.

Another choice is to use Castrol Super Clean but I can't seem to find that near me.

Hope that helps!

A small update: Some parts I had painted with lacquer-based paint (Alclad II metallics, for example) were not affected by the tire cleaner. Will have to use Easy Lift Off for that task!

Edited by PlasticWeapons