I need some help with the following B-52 Color Schemes.

SEA Standard- I am familiar with

SEA Modified Standard Scheme- also familiar with

SAC (SIOP), Single Integrated Operations Plan Color Scheme- what are the time periods of use?

SAC Strategic Color Scheme- also what are the time periods of use?

Thank You in advance

The original SIOP & its modified scheme (replacing the tan radome color with a dark green) were used roughly during the '70s thru the early or mid '80s, the Strategic scheme came in during the mid '80s thru the early to mid '90s which is when the overall Gunship gray began to dominate. These are all ballpark guestimations.

HTH

Ves :bandhead2:

The Strategic scheme came in during the mid '80s thru the early to mid '90s which is when the overall Gunship gray began to dominate. These are all ballpark guestimations.

And to that point, IIRC, the orders regarding those changes came about so quickly that it wasn't unusual to see a mix of Strategic with SIOP and then Strategic with Gunship schemes on a ramp.

SIOP scheme showed up in the early 70s I believe, as indicated by the B-52Gs that deployed to Andersen with it. By the time Desert Storm rolled around, there were only a handful of aircraft left wearing this scheme, according to my references.

The three color strategic scheme was predominant in the mid to late 80s, but as pointed out above, many jets were already receiving the single-color camoflage by 1990 or so. FS 36081 was the first monochrome scheme; many of the B-52Gs in Desert Storm wore it. FS 36118 was selected in 1991 according to Squadron's B-52 in Action book.

HTH

Jonah

Depends on what jet as to when and if she got the scheme.

but as a general rule the advice above is good.

If you have a photo of the jet you want in the colours then of course you will know she wore it, but dont assume...

They all wore SIOP and SIOP II in the end, and they all wore 36118, but not all got 36081.

but with ragards to SIOP the radome wasnt always the same on each jet, some had a kinda washed out yellow only on the rounded forward portion of the radome, while others had the whole radome painted that colour...

Some were the same "pattern" but in white, while others [see photo above] had the camo colour and white with a demarcation line...

Even when they got the EVS they followed this trend.

SIOP II scheme ended the radome colour confusion of course, because they all got the same pattern of wrap around camo from the forward gear bay doors forward (but there were a few exceptions to even this rule)

Best bet, get a photo, study it, model her as is because there is a chance thats how she always was and never got the "standard" pattern.

If you give me a ref decade I can try and help you out with a few images if you want

• 8 years later...

So, I am going to revive this thread a little.  I want to build a B-52G assigned to the 34th BS, 366th Wg during the period 1992-94.  I have the Wolfpak Decals #72-044 Thunder and LITENING sheet and know that the color scheme is overall Gunship Grey FS36118.  What is not mentioned is the color for the walkway lines on wings/stabs and other data / US insignia on the fuselage.  Were they the same color? The insignia and data in the Wolfpak sheet appears black.  I think I will need to supplement with wing walkways, as none are provided in the kit nor in the Wolfpak sheet.  Warbirds offer two sets of walkways, one black (72020) and one medium - dark gray (72039).  Just wondering which I should use.  I am leaning toward black (72020). Any help appreciated.

Edited by Dutch

Dutch,

By virtue of the AGM-142s under the wing, I'm fairly confident these images are of a 34 BS jet.

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/b52/attachment/b527/

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/b52/attachment/b529/

Not the best pictures, but it is discernable that the walkway stripes along the spine are darker than the overall aircraft color.

Of the two Warbirds options, black is probably the better answer, but based on the limited contrast in the photo and overall faded appearance of the jet, you might get the best effect by painting the walkways with a lightened black/darkened gray to get a more subtle appearance.  

The one photo that I have of a 34 BS jet that shows a national insignia appears to be an overall 36081 jet with the insignia in a lighter shade, maybe 36118.  

Jonah

Thanks Jonah.  From the photos, looks like wing walkways are a darker gray than the airframe overall Gunship Gray, though not black.  I'll ask my Buffasaurus pilot friend when I see him.  The Wolpak decals provide black national insignia, with only the ACC badge having a med-dark gray background color, could be gunship gray FS36118, dunno.  Maybe I will go with the Warbirds 72039 sheet.

However, I can't discern the top of the wing from any of my 366th Wg photos, (mostly AMARC shots).  I did determine that the national insignia on fuselage sides is gray and not black.  So one check for 72039.  I also looked at several refueling shots from KC-135s.  Pretty inconclusive, with most showing either no wing walkways lines or a slightly darker gray wing walkway, but all showing black stab walkways (!@#$%%^).  And one check for 72020.  I may have to purchase both decals, something I was trying to avoid.   See Airliners.net photo 1399566, to prove my point. Or maybe just purchase 72020 for the black stab walkways lines, scrounge a pair of gray national insignia for fuselage (it looks like the top of wing is black) and not put any wing walkway lines on!

Edited by Dutch
add info.

So here’s a data point I got from a friend who is a B-52 expert that might help with deciphering the photos: the subject of the Wolfpak sheet, 57-6520, was the only 34 BS jet painted 36118, the remaining jets were all 36081. 

From everything I’ve seen of current Hs, like the one in the Airliners.net photo you linked, only the stabilizers carry walkway stripes, which clearly look black to me.   I don’t know how well that translates back to 6520 in the early 90s, other than I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 36118 jet with national insignia & stenciling in any color other than black. 

My friend said he’d send along a couple of photos he has of T-Bird jets, so we’ll see what turns up. 

Jonah

Edited by Gator52

Jonah,  Well, I think I have my answer.  After a few minutes search of Airliners.net AMARC photos, I located this photo with the exact bird I want to model in the lower right frame showing the upper wing.  And this one of another Castle bird in FS 36118 showing black wing walkway lines.  Both are dated 2007, so the paint has faded, but I think the lines are dark enough to have been black back in the day!  FWIW, FS 36081 is Dark Gunship Gray and FS 36118 is Medium Gunship Gray.

Edited by Dutch
added info