Lindberg to release 1/32 F-35 Lightning II

A couple places mentioned that theyy had their research teams out making sure they get the details right. Here is hoping they do! The nozzle on the engine reminds me of those galvanized metal elbow joints that you might hook up to clothes driers to vent the hot air!

At the moment, the only thing that looks really off is the MLG tires..They look too chubby. Also looks like the seat sits a little low..

Who ever painted the thing painted part of the hub black. One of the iHobby updates showed an unpainted wheel where there was a lot less tire

It may be too late for Lindberg to make corrections, as I would imagine that the tooling's finished by the time it's made a show debut.

Depends. The 1/144 Arizona they displayed is a one-off scratch build, basically to drum up interest in the possible kit that won't be out until the end of 2010 or the beginning of 2011. If they are really working closely with the company to get it right and still visiting LockMart to get it as accurate as can be, then this may also be a one off or pre-production build that didn't come from any molds.

Looks like they missed the dog tooth edge to the canopy as well

This is the first time I have ever seen one with the canopy open, and it really surpised me that it's forward opening. And it still looks like an eggplane to me!

Perhaps this is where they got the canopy frame

AIR_F-35_JSF_STOVL_Lift-Fan_lg.jpg

Edited by JasonB
Jason, it has a forward opening canopy due to the F-35B model but all will have that feature ... to .. (uh hem) cut costs ...

Gregg

Well, I guess if they are going to go ugly, they might as well double down and go with that canopy (full ugly???). Its perfect for it. I do think they shortened up the nose a bit, which pushed everything back. Compare the position of the seat in their pit to the one in this pic

F35pilot.jpg

Edited by JasonB

I don't really care about the thing, since obviously I think the F-35 is hideous, and could become a huge boondoggle. But it kind of looks like those toys they made to put GI Joe type figures ("battle Barbies") in. They sort of looked like the real thing, but all the proportions were off. Like this "Panther" for example! :P

jet.JPG

Saw this over on Cybermodeler - Cybermodeler pics.

ihe09_lin03.jpg

ihe09_lin04.jpg

Supposedly fully licensed and researched with Lockheed Martin...this ought to be interesting.

:P

-Awan

The nose shape is way off. It should be much longer. The MLG's are wierd looking, but I can chalk that up to painting part of the rim, for now. The doors for the lift fan are Alpha Foxtrot Uniform. The F-35B has 1 big door over the lift fan. They look like they're representing the prototype (X-35B) which I think won a contest at Lockheed for "who can put the most doors on a single opening?" Also, the brace across the front of the canopy is HUGE. That could also be a painting error. I'm a little surprised at all the wiring on the engine, is Lindberg really going to have it wired up like that?

I'm a little surprised at all the wiring on the engine, is Lindberg really going to have it wired up like that?

To me, the engine was one of the things that made it appear to me to be a mock up. Its sort looks cobbled together, and creating that amount of wiring and plumbing in styrene would be virtually impossible. I really do think it's a one-off prototype.

The squadron code appears appropriate...vmFAT

At least its not covered in Animé decals, so it does have that going for it.