How to Build a Model Airplane- PDF

Managed to download it off the original site you posted it onto, Larry. Looks great. I'm going to take some time and read it. It'll give me inspiration to crack open one of my kits and start working on it.

Addendum: Read the article. Absolutely terrific, gets right into the nitty gritty of the basics of building. Thanks for taking the time to write that.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It was kind of fun to do. Thanks for the nice comments.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi

I'm an old, beginner modeler; new to this forum. This article is the kind of stuff that I need. I thank you for doing it up. It's an absolutely wonderful, and educational work.

Guy

I'm glad you found it helpful Guy. One day I'll get around to correcting the grammer and spelling! I'm working on a "How to Foil" one, next.

• 1 month later...

Larry, thank you for your hard work and efforts in producing this document! I'm returning to the hobby after an absense of about 10 years, and your article is just what the doctor ordered to get me up to speed again! Thanks very much!

Wayne

Larry, thank you for your hard work and efforts in producing this document! I'm returning to the hobby after an absense of about 10 years, and your article is just what the doctor ordered to get me up to speed again! Thanks very much!

Wayne

You're very welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Building a model airplane is a simple pleasure for both young and old alike. Seeing something that you’ve built with your own hands flying through the air will bring endless hours of enjoyment and a deep feeling of accomplishment. Knowing a few tips can make the difference between frustration and satisfaction.

First you must decide on what type of building you wish to do.There are basically three different types - scratch built, kit built and almost ready to fly.

There are three types of flying model airplanes you can choose from - rubber band powered, U-Control and Radio Controlled (or RC). Most people want to start with an RC plane and while it’s certainly possible to do so, a better recipe for success is to start with a simple rubber band powered to gain a basic understanding of aircraft construction before investing a lot of time and money. If you enjoyed the experience then a U-Control is a good inexpensive introduction to gas powered flight. These are flown at the end of a tether that allows you to control the elevator. Despite their simple appearance, these planes in capable hands can do wing overs, loops and other aerobatics. After you’ve mastered these classes of aircraft, building a good flying RC model will be easier to accomplish.

Before you can begin building your plane of choice you need to assemble the right tools for the job. The most important tool is one that many model builders are not even aware of - a building board. While some well stocked hobby shops may carry them, it is more likely that you will have to mail order from one of the large hobby supply houses such as Hobby Lobby. A building board is constructed to maintain a level surface regardless of humidity and other environmental factors. A level surface is absolutely critical to building a straight airplane wing. They are made from balsa wood so that straight pins can easily be inserted and removed. Which brings us to our next tool: straight pins. These are used to hold various pieces in place on the building board while the glue sets. Any pin will work but a T pin will be easier on your fingers. The next tool we need is the X-acto knife. This will be used to cut out the die cut pieces as well as cut and shape stringers and other parts. Be sure and buy extra blades as wood cutting will quickly dulls the knife. You’ll also want to pick up some fine grade sand paper for doing finishing work on the completed frames.

Now you need consider what type of glue to use. The latest rage in airplane glue is Cyanoacrilate (or CA). These glues are equivalent to the “super glues†everyone is familiar with in that they cure very fast. While this may be an advantage to an experienced builder, for a novice this could be disastrous. I suggest good old fashioned Testors airplane glue. The slow curing time will allow you to check and re check your work, making adjustments as needed.

Finally you’ll need some airplane dope, airplane dope thinner and a few brushes for applying the tissue paper skin that will cover the frames. If you want to get creative you can choose different colors of airplane dope. Many kits supply colored tissue paper so that all you will need is clear airplane dope. The hobby shop where you purchased your kit should have all the supplies you’ll need to complete your model.

Building a model airplane is a simple pleasure for both young and old alike. Seeing something that you’ve built with your own hands flying through the air will bring endless hours of enjoyment and a deep feeling of accomplishment. Knowing a few tips can make the difference between frustration and satisfaction.

First you must decide on what type of building you wish to do.There are basically three different types - scratch built, kit built and almost ready to fly.

There are three types of flying model airplanes you can choose from - rubber band powered, U-Control and Radio Controlled (or RC). Most people want to start with an RC plane and while it’s certainly possible to do so, a better recipe for success is to start with a simple rubber band powered to gain a basic understanding of aircraft construction before investing a lot of time and money. If you enjoyed the experience then a U-Control is a good inexpensive introduction to gas powered flight. These are flown at the end of a tether that allows you to control the elevator. Despite their simple appearance, these planes in capable hands can do wing overs, loops and other aerobatics. After you’ve mastered these classes of aircraft, building a good flying RC model will be easier to accomplish.

Before you can begin building your plane of choice you need to assemble the right tools for the job. The most important tool is one that many model builders are not even aware of - a building board. While some well stocked hobby shops may carry them, it is more likely that you will have to mail order from one of the large hobby supply houses such as Hobby Lobby. A building board is constructed to maintain a level surface regardless of humidity and other environmental factors. A level surface is absolutely critical to building a straight airplane wing. They are made from balsa wood so that straight pins can easily be inserted and removed. Which brings us to our next tool: straight pins. These are used to hold various pieces in place on the building board while the glue sets. Any pin will work but a T pin will be easier on your fingers. The next tool we need is the X-acto knife. This will be used to cut out the die cut pieces as well as cut and shape stringers and other parts. Be sure and buy extra blades as wood cutting will quickly dulls the knife. You’ll also want to pick up some fine grade sand paper for doing finishing work on the completed frames.

Now you need consider what type of glue to use. The latest rage in airplane glue is Cyanoacrilate (or CA). These glues are equivalent to the “super glues†everyone is familiar with in that they cure very fast. While this may be an advantage to an experienced builder, for a novice this could be disastrous. I suggest good old fashioned Testors airplane glue. The slow curing time will allow you to check and re check your work, making adjustments as needed.

Finally you’ll need some airplane dope, airplane dope thinner and a few brushes for applying the tissue paper skin that will cover the frames. If you want to get creative you can choose different colors of airplane dope. Many kits supply colored tissue paper so that all you will need is clear airplane dope. The hobby shop where you purchased your kit should have all the supplies you’ll need to complete your model.

Ummmm? ahhhh, er... what the @%ck are you talking about? :P

Edited by Miccara

They are an R/C aircraft modeller.

R/C = Radio Controlled

R/C is a serious hobby.....imagine building a very expensive plane and then watching it auger into the ground on it's maiden flight. Our local hobby shop is profitable simply due to the big bucks R/C modellers spend there repairing there car or plane of chopper after it's latest crash or mis-hap.

• 3 months later...
Hello Miccarra,

are you going to add any more to this thraed ...like more techniques ...methods..usages ..tools that one can use for certain things etc...

Just wondering that was all..

HOLMES :rolleyes:

If you mean the article itself, I am planning on a continuation that will be a "How to Foil" piece. In it, I plan to update a few of the methods and tips that were in the first article as well. I plan on starting it sometime in February after my 1/32 B25 shows up, that will be the subject.

If you mean the article itself, I am planning on a continuation that will be a "How to Foil" piece. In it, I plan to update a few of the methods and tips that were in the first article as well. I plan on starting it sometime in February after my 1/32 B25 shows up, that will be the subject.

I look forward to that, Thank you :rolleyes:

Edited by HOLMES

Great article I might add, and yes I'm the new guy that has been reading all I can get my hands on, this is awesome to say the least, now back to reading and studying!

tonal