First Digital Airshow pics

Well, here are some of the shots i've culled through so far from my airshow trip to alliance. Two things are certain, i need a better lens and i need to clean the one i have! the dust spots can be removed from most of the images so it's not a big big deal, just aggrivating. anyway, these aren't post processed in anyway yet except for a couple of cropped ones. the sun was murder since you are basically facing directly in to it. any tips from the pros about what to make better would be much appreciated. even though it may be a long time before i can make another airshow.

6lowtakeoff.jpg

blue3bank.jpg

tacticalsurprise.jpg

solos.jpg

a10approach.jpg

a10bank.jpg

thanks for looking,

Bill

The dust spots you are reffering to are most likely particles on your sensor instead of your lens. But anyhow very good pics for your first airshow... You'll get more and more confident with your equippment and you'll be making better pictures each time. And of course lens in the range of 400mm+ helps a lot...

The dust spots you are reffering to are most likely particles on your sensor instead of your lens. But anyhow very good pics for your first airshow... You'll get more and more confident with your equippment and you'll be making better pictures each time. And of course lens in the range of 400mm+ helps a lot...

no this actually was some very small pieces of glitter on the lens from when my wife was shooting our disney vacation. she bought a shirt from the gift shop and EVERYTHNG got covered in glitter by the time we left. i thought i got all of it off but i didn't see them on this lens until i got back home from the show. oh well. i'll try to get some more up as i go through them. i had a great time anyway even if the sun wasn't in the best place.

Thanks,

Bill

I think they look pretty good. Fairly well exposed for the lighting, too. Also, I don't know if you factored this in, but if you're shooting with a D80, it's a 1.5 crop, so at 240mm your lens is actually acting like 360mm on that camera.

Edited by Ken Cartwright

thanks guys. i was aware of the 1.5 crop factor, and at times the 240 was almost too close, i.e. the a-10 bank shot where i couldn't zoom out fast enough to not cut off the wings. but it would be nice to be able to reach out a little further. i think a 300 (450 crop) would be perfect for Dallas being that i was as far south down the line as i could get.

Bill

great shots , and a decent lens !! i use a 300 but find if i'm close enough i zoom out a lot anyway

settings are awkward things to suggest as it depends how you want to show the aircraft helis have slow revolving blades so require slower shutter speeds to show movement in the blades whilst being high enough so you don't blur the rest

jet fighters require fast shutter speeds as there are no moving components to freeze and they are moving so fast that with a slower speed would blur it

i usualy shoot on fully manual inc focus as i find auto settings to be hit and miss to the extreeme ( i have missed more shots than i have got on auto settings through focus hunting etc ) i prefer telling the camera what to do as i can judge better how i want the image

the last airshow i did was a nightmare because of constantly changing light / weather ( but i managed just !! )

photography is subjective anyway if like me you will be far more critical of your work whilst others that see will think it's great whilst others like myself will see faults in my own work

southportairshow2009101.jpg

southportairshow2009307.jpg

southportairshow2009335.jpg

southportairshow2009346.jpg

southportairshow2009451.jpg

southportairshow2009652.jpg

southportairshow2009593.jpg

Bill,

STUNNING PHOTOS !!

Nothing wrong in there at all..{ don't put yourself down !}

Clear neat shots ..thank you for sharing them... :P :worship:

Tornado 64 Nice shots too but I see what you mean by the weather!!! :coolio:

yeah especialy when you compare a shot from the week before at my local aerodrome ( not far from my display shots ) the heli is a t.v camera mount for football games ( hence the choice of a as 355 twin squirell !! )

similar sort of distance away but with decent light ( sometimes the weather just gangs up on you !! )

although you can take advantage of this for atmospheric shots ( like the lynx !! )

bartonaerodrome194.jpg

southportairshow2009380.jpg