F-14A Tom Kitten on board CVN-65 USS Enterprise circa 1976

I found the decals for VF-1 Wolfpack :monkeydance: in a 1/44 Revell F-14A Tomcat boxing (04004) for the Tophatters I picked up from my LHS some time ago.

S6306213.jpg

The parts are unfortunately from the old molding (IMHO nothing to write home about), although the boxing was priced identical to the new issue :deadhorse1: Fortunately, r0t0rdr1ver sent me some 1/144 Revell... and one of them turned out to be a new mold F-14 (IMHO it looks better than the Dragon version). Since I have the circa 1975 VF-1 Wolfpack decals, I will contribute a Tom Kitten.

I will post pictures as we get along.

Cheers,

Giles

Is that a 1/144 etched set - or just scaled down on a colour copier?

Tom

AFAIK, there isn't a 1/144 etched set for the F-14. I scaled down the eduard 1/72 set just for kicks :D: I reckon, the thickness of high gram copy paper would be about right for scale thickness B)

Anyway, back to my Kitten... I decided to start in the cockpit like most of the 1/48 and 1/32 builds :wave:

I want to (try) build a feline on a cat shot, so I need my Kitten crewed.

Messrs Blobby & Blobby came to the rescue via Hong Kong (Dragon's F-14 kit)

S6306263.jpg

Unfortunately, a quick test fit reveal that Messrs Blobby & Blobby had not the fattest chance to pass the Navy's pre-flight physical :doh:

So, Messrs Blobby & Blobby were sent for remedial physical training and the ejection seats were jacked up to the highest limit.

S6306263.jpg

The overall effect after some plastic surgery is kind of satisfying...

Cheers,

Giles

Edited by giles
  • 4 months later...

I revived my Revell Tomcat from its 4 month old slumber...

S6300910.jpg

Here is a shot of the flaps detached from the wings. I tried to do likewise for the slats but it was late at night, may be I am tired, may be the slats are too tiny... my generic GP penknife slipped (see the white cut on left wing).

If I go on with it at this rate, it may be completed in time for the Enterprise GB II :sunrevolves: But, I thought you might like to know that I am building :sunrevolves: (well, occassionally).

Giles

Enterprise GB II eh? Well keep at it, you still have a month for GB I.

Affirmative Phantom!

Going by my usual pace, GBII is an optimistic guess :) I will however try to be more active on this build.

This was where I was 4 months ago...

S6306254.jpg

This is where I am now today...

S6300924.jpg

Looks a bit rough with very sparing primer coat. Overscaled stretched sprue to simulate the bits in the well. Side walls are added in case someone peeks. Nose Gear cut down (probably not enough) for the crouched on the Cat stance.

Need to move on to the cockpit and close the fuselage if GBI dateline is the target.

Giles