F-4E converted to F-4S

Hey guys,

I have a 32nd Revell F-4E and I am considering trying a conversion project with it. What needs to be done to convert a late F-4E to a F-4S? Obviously, the nose needs updating....and a USN style cockpit....but beyond that I am not sure.

Thanks

- Refuelling probe door on the RH side of the cockpit

- Different main wheels

- Catapult hooks under the wing roots

- Different nose gear door (with approach lights)

- Different ECM antennas (varies depending on the time period)

- Pitot tube on l/e of vertical fin instead of in the nose

- Probably has a reinforcing plate/fairing above the main gear strut location on top of the wings

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

J

That's a big project you're taking on there Paul :) ! To add to Jenning's and Ben's lists:

Remove any reinforcing plates from the stabilators

Add the reinforcing strap on the lower fuselage

Get some USN style inboard pylons (the ones with a straight edge)

Rescribe the RAT doors on the LH intake trunking. The F-4E had a plain access panel in this area

I'm some of the other Phantom Phans will be along to add more. Good luck - and post pictures; we'd all love to see how you get on, if you decide to go for it.

Different slats

Longer wing fences

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?

:)

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?

:P

Brought peace?

> F-4E converted to F-4S, What needs to be done?

A new kit - might I suggest the Tamiya J.

The nose should look like a J I think. The S's were modified J's to meet the same wings as the E's. Too bad they didn't have the guns in the nose. I would love to have seen VF-111 in a S with a gun nose.

Navy couldn't use the gun nose F-4s because the the modifications ruined the CoG and hence approach/landing characteristics for carrier work. From the tactical standpoint, I'm sure they would have loved to have the guns especially in the 1972 time frame,

115418661_350x350_Front.jpg

Edited by Fuji

Revell also made a 1/32 F-4J, maybe mix the two. That nose is going to be a bear as the contours on the bottom part of fuselage from the area around the splinter plates forward are very different. If you were going from J/S to an E, maybe I can see that, but either way its going to be very very tough. Unless you're getting a resin cast of the forward fuselage, that may be an option. All the best, that's going to be some job!

Revell also made a 1/32 F-4J, maybe mix the two. That nose is going to be a bear as the contours on the bottom part of fuselage from the area around the splinter plates forward are very different. If you were going from J/S to an E, maybe I can see that, but either way its going to be very very tough. Unless you're getting a resin cast of the forward fuselage, that may be an option. All the best, that's going to be some job!

That was actually my plan on the nose. I have an old F-4J from 1973 that I had considering scribing and building up.....but I actually think that might be harder to make a nice looking model out of than converting the E to an S.

Now.....this may sound kind of stupid....but I know not, so I ask....someone mentioned "Different slats, Longer wing fences". Can someone please elaborate? I love planes....but I am pretty much a moron when it comes to them. I honestly could not tell you what a wing fence was...=)

A fence is a raised wall that stops air from flowing spanwise across the wing (you want air to flow front to back, not sideways across the wing). This is a picture of the F-4E fence (the vertical plate where the extended outboard wing starts)

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1...es/GRAYWING.jpg

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1...ages/slat_3.jpg

The F-4S has a longer fence than the one shown here.

Hello,

in the Walkaround section here at ARC are very good F-4S pictures.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1...F-4/walk150.htm

Here you can see that the inner slats are more curved and longer then the leading edge of the wing.

The inner slats of the F-4E/F/G are flush with the leading edge of the wing.

http://www.5053phantoms.com/photos/display...=24&pos=266

http://www.5053phantoms.com/photos/display...=24&pos=264 (here you can also see the longer wing fence)

http://www.5053phantoms.com/photos/display...=24&pos=280 (note the wing fence)

The depth of the outboard slats is also bigger than the Air Force counterparts.

Regards, Jens

Now.....this may sound kind of stupid....but I know not, so I ask....someone mentioned "Different slats, Longer wing fences". Can someone please elaborate? I love planes....but I am pretty much a moron when it comes to them. I honestly could not tell you what a wing fence was...=)

Sorry, I should have posted pics. The wing fence is quite a bit longer than the Air Force version:

DSCN1698a.jpg

The slats on the F-4S are more curved than the Air Force version:

DSCN0120a.jpg

CopyofDSCN0110-1.jpg

The inboards have a lip under the wing leading edge when they're retracted:

CopyofDSCN0106-1.jpg

Cheers!

Ben

I would say, start with getting a copy of my newest book, it's all about US Navy Phantoms and it includes every detail about the F-4S you would need to know (and much more). For example 12 pages about the F-4S wings, a double page for each MLG wheel well side, 16 pages about the F-4S cockpits (the F-4N and QF-4 cockpits are also given), accurate scale drawings...

BF4pcovgr.jpg

previews of several pages are on my website too

http://ultra.glo.be/daco

And they will be delivered to me from the printer in 12 hours...

Danny

will you be at Scale Model World in Telford U.K. in November?

If so, load your vehicle with the new book, something tells me

you won't take many back home!

Yes, I'll be there with a stand - back at my original place, with my Sidewinder missile (so it's hard to miss it...)

I'll take as many as my car will allow :-)

Danny