144th Revell Tornado GR.1 & F/A-18D Hornet

These two came like a bolt from the blue. Not previously announced, they just showed up on the Revell homepage and, only a short while ago, in the shops as well.

So here are short in-box reviews of the kits.

Starting off with the Tornado, here's the box art:

The sneaky painter forgot the LRMTS chin pod (more on that later).

Tornado_01.jpg

Sprues:

While the parts are nicely are engraved, the panel lines are not too deep for the scale. The first two sprues are standard for all Tornado IDS, ECR and GR.1 boxings.

Tornado_02.jpg

Tornado_03.jpg

The new sprues contain the parts needed to make the Tornado a GR.1. There are two aerials for the fins, two of the large Hindenburger tanks, a Sky Shadow pod, two ALARMs and associated launchers, four 1000 lbs GP bombs and two British 1000 lbs LGBs.

However, that's not all that's needed for British Tornado. The kit is missing the characteristic LRMTS (laser range finder / marked target seeker) chin pod, as well as two aerials on the spine just aft of the canopy.

Tornado_04.jpg

The transparency:

Sadly, this is a single part only. That means to pose the canopy open, some cutting is required. What's more, the hinges of the canopy are integral to the spine, making further surgery for an open cokpit necessary.

Tornado_05.jpg

At least the part is nicely thin and quite clear.

Tornado_06.jpg

The decals:

Printed by Zanchetti, they look rather nice and include decals for the cockpit.

Tornado_07.jpg

The decal placement guide:

There's just one marking option. A Tornado GR.1 of No 27 Sqn, RAF, based at RAF Marham in 1990 can be built. One of the main colours, you guessed it, has to be mixed.

Tornado_08.jpg

Conclusion:

Nice to see Revell came out with a British Tornado in 1/144 after all. And with some many stores, to boot. Sadly, they didn't quite get there. The missing LRMTS is a glaring omission, in my eyes. You'll have to scratch or scrounge from Dragon (quite amusingly, Dragon forgot the second chin pod for their recent Tornado GR.4). The canopy is another weak point (at least if you want to display it open). On the other hand, Revell seem to have fixed the nose issue that plagued the 1/72 kit (and the 1/32 as well, IIRC :P). The nose landing gear strut is still too tall, making for a nose-high attitude. I can't make any comments regarding fit, but the other Tornadoes have no reputations of being difficult kits. Since only some detail parts are different, I reckon the same applies here.

If you want to build any other RAF Tornadoes, Xtradecal for a rather comprehensive sheet for British Tornadoes (both GR and F). CLICKY!

Now the F/A-18D:

When the 1/144 F/A-18C came out a few years ago, the sprue layout made it immediately obvious that a double-seater would follow. Now it has finally arrived.

Hornet_D-01.jpg

Most of the plastic is the same as in the single-seater. That means the same things apply: nice, engraved detail that is not too deep and crisp moulding. The red arrow marks where the little sub-sprue for the single-seater parts is attached in the F/A-18C kit. Immediately above the arrow are the extra parts for the twin-seater.

Hornet_D-02.jpg

Hornet_D-03.jpg

The transparencies:

Other than on the Tornado, making an open cockpoit is no big deal. The parts are relatively thin and reasonably clear. Since they're not individually packed, there are some scratches on the parts in my kit. The red circle shows where the single-seater canopy attaches to the windscreen sprue.

Hornet_D-04.jpg

Hornet_D-05.jpg

The decals:

Designed by DACO and printed by Cartograf. Need I say more?

Sadly, no decals for the cockpit are provided. While that's no big deal in the bigger scales, cockpit decals work wonders on these little kits.

Hornet_D-06.jpg

Markings are provided for two and a half versions. Two and a half? Yeah, indeed. The first option is for the commander's machine of VMFA(AW)-224 Bengals at MCAS Beaufort and has options for the 2007/8 bird and the 2009 bird. While some stencils of different colours are provided, the same decals for the BuNo is supposed to be used. Kinda strange, considering the decal placement guide specifically notes the different BuNos. The squadron names on the tanks are supplied for just one tank, as there's just one tank in the kit.

Hornet_D-07.jpg

The second option is for a line aircraft of VFA-125 Rough Raiders, based at NAS Leemore.

Hornet_D-08.jpg

Colours have to be mixed. Revell provides the proper FS codes for the colours, though.

Great to see that Revell finally released the twin-seater kit. All things considered, the kit should build up into a nice representation of the F/A-18D. The canopy alone should look much better than what is supplied with the Dragon kit. Again, I can't make any comments regarding fit, but the single-seater is considered a decent kit. So I guess the same goes for this one.

Now, Revell, after finally releasing the single-seater Starfighter and the twin-seater Hornet, how about that twin-seater Rafale? :coolio::whistle:

Hope you found these two in-box reviews helpful! :thumbsup:

This was a great report. Thanks.

Now, Revell, after finally releasing the single-seater Starfighter and the twin-seater Hornet, how about that twin-seater Rafale? :wave: B)

I'd rather see a second try at the Eurofighter or Gripen.

Glad you liked it! :woo:

I hear ya on the Typhoon and Gripen. Those would be very welcome. I've said before that a new tooling of an Eurofighter Typhoon in 1/144 would nicely round out the offer of new-tool Typhoon kits by Revell. I mean, look at it: 1/72, 1/48, and now 1/32 - 1/144 is all that's missing. :woo: Especially if they make it a weapons kit with an aircraft kit thrown in like they did in the other scales. :cop:

A twin-seater Rafale is probably more likely, though. Most of the tooling is already done. All they need is a new canopy and add a sprue with the second cockpit and new spine. The spine for the single-seater was already a separate mini sprue, so I guess that kit was tooled with the twin-seater option in mind.

I agree on the EF-2000 in 1:144. Built the one they already have, and while it wasn't horrible, it needs aaaalot. Mainly I'd like to see a comparable cockpit, slight alteration of the canards, and the inclusion of decent weapons and decal choices.

Thanks for that Moritz, they both look great! I'll definitely try and pick these up and some point. Looks like they did a great job on the Tornado weapons. Also I'm glad to see they added a few more stencils to the Hornet's decal sheet, it looks like they've even included some decals for the vents around the nose!

Chris

Thanks for the review.

I don't understand why anyone - Revell included - would decide to release an RAF Tornado in such ancient markings. 27sqn hasn't flown Tornados since 1993 (I think) and nice as the 75th anniversary markings are, there must be some more up-to-date options which would make for a better seller.

Gentlemen,

Actually, I think you'll find neither is a new kit. I believe they are rereleases with some new markings, and in the Tornado's case, some different stores. The "New" Hornet is kit # 04064. I have the Revell F-18D "Wild Weasel" dated 1998 and it is kit # 04024, plus it even has VMFA (aw)-224 markings in it. But very subdued.

The Tornado looks extremely like the ECR release dated 2006.(kit # 04048) Obviously with different markings and stores. Now don't get me wrong, in no way am I complaining. I've been waiting patiently for these rereleases for quite a while. The F-18D was extremely hard to get in '98, (small production run, I gather) so this is most welcome. But the reality is I don't believe they are "New".

In my opinion, the original releases were part of Revell's 1/144 "Revolution", when they switched mold makers and took the scale by storm. Today, I believe they are in a "war" with DML for dominance in this scale. DML was in a decent position for a while, then lost the lead to Revell. With their F-18 E/F/G plus the H-60 family, they are coming back with a vengence. But Revell's C-17A has REALLY put them up for a while.....So we will see. Any other thoughts out there ? :woot.gif:

I agree on the EF-2000 in 1:144. Built the one they already have, and while it wasn't horrible, it needs aaaalot. Mainly I'd like to see a comparable cockpit, slight alteration of the canards, and the inclusion of decent weapons and decal choices.
It goes together well, but actually, it is terrible shape-wise. The fuselage is almost 5mm too narrow at the middle, the wings each need 2mm chopped off the tips, the weapon pylons look wrong and are in the wrong place, the intake is wrong, the wingtip pods are all wrong, and it is missing main landing gear bays and the prominent control arms under the wings.

The Gripen is ok shape-wise except for the nose and maybe the canopy, but all the panel lines are wrong.

Both of these were done in the pre-production stages of the actual aircraft and it shows.

Cheers, chaps! :cheers: Certainly glad you found it helpful!

Gentlemen,

Actually, I think you'll find neither is a new kit. I believe they are rereleases with some new markings, and in the Tornado's case, some different stores. <...>

Sorry, but did you even bother to read what I wrote?

The Tornado is, as I wrote, of course based on the ECR and IDS kits. They're basically the same plane, with a few modifications. And with the IDS and ECR only a couple of years old and the GR.1 based on these toolings not available until now, I think it does qualify as new.

And I'm pretty sure that kit #04024 is not the same kit as #04064. AFAIK, kit # 04024 is a re-release of the Dragon kit. And as I wrote, kit #04064 is based on the new tooling of the F/A-18C, first released in 2003 (five years after #04024) and since it also hasn't been available before, it is a new kit.

Edited by ChernayaAkula
Cheers, chaps! :cheers: Certainly glad you found it helpful!

Sorry, but did you even bother to read what I wrote?

The Tornado is, as I wrote, of course based on the ECR and IDS kits. They're basically the same plane, with a few modifications. And with the IDS and ECR only a couple of years old and the GR.1 based on these toolings not available until now, I think it does qualify as new.

And I'm pretty sure that kit #04024 is not the same kit as #04064. AFAIK, kit # 04024 is a re-release of the Dragon kit. And as I wrote, kit #04064 is based on the new tooling of the F/A-18C, first released in 2003 (five years after #04024) and since it also hasn't been available before, it is a new kit.

Actually,the IDS is as old as the GR1.The GR1 was designed to use existing RAF/UK weapons & not those used by the other partners.The original GR1 did not have the LRMTS fitted therefore the kit may have been made useing plans pre LRMTS.

Spike (ex-Tornado armourer.)

No, Spike, I meant the kits. ;) That the tools the IDS, ECR and now the GR.1 are from are only a couple of years old.

But interesting tidbit about the LRMTS. Other people have also reasoned that such an old marking option was included because of the LRMTS missing. Pictures on airliners.net of Tornado GR.1s of No. 27 Sqn show the LRMTS fitted as early as 1986. Would it be possible that some aircraft of that particular Sqn did not have the LRMTS fitted (and even six years later)? :cheers:

Edited by ChernayaAkula
  • 2 years later...