New GSI Airbrush "micron"

GSI will release a "micron" :thumbsup:

Mr.Air Brush Custom 0.18mm.

i think performances will be close to the Iwata CM-B (0.18 nozzle).

Very Interesting: it look like a derivation of the Iwata's Custom Micron CM-C Plus.

On the paper the new GSI-Creos airbrush is better of the CM-C Plus: the 0,18 nozzle in the CM-C Plus is an upgrade as the CM-C Plus is sold with the 0,23 nozzle.

The price for the GSI airbrush is a lot under the level of the CM-C Plus.

The only question is about the quality: the Iwata CM-C Plus is known as a top line products so there is only to hope that the GSI-Creos airbrush will be built with the same quality as the Iwata.

I say this because in Ebay there are dozens of clones of the Iwata's CM-C Plus sold at populars prices so I hope the people at GSI Creos will built a top line products and not a chinese replica.

I don't worry about quality, GSI makes excellent airbrushes

I have 2 GSI airbrushes : PS-269, and PS-270, they are "made in Japan", and the quality is really excellent.

The PS269 is very close to the IWATA HP-C+ but GSI is cheaper. I guess a part of the price difference is caused by the reputation of Iwata

I don't think the New GSI PS770 "Micron" will be a "chinese clone", because of the nozzle : only the japanese companies (Iwata and Olympos) manufacture 0.18mm and 0.23mm nozzles. The chinese clones have 0.2 or 0.25mm.

I don't worry about quality, GSI makes excellent airbrushes

I have 2 GSI airbrushes : PS-269, and PS-270, they are "made in Japan", and the quality is really excellent.

The PS269 is very close to the IWATA HP-C+ but GSI is cheaper. I guess a part of the price difference is caused by the reputation of Iwata

I don't think the New GSI PS770 "Micron" will be a "chinese clone", because of the nozzle : only the japanese companies (Iwata and Olympos) manufacture 0.18mm and 0.23mm nozzles. The chinese clones have 0.2 or 0.25mm.

Could be useful to discover with precision who is that really build the GSI airbrushes.

• 5 months later...
GSI will release a "micron" :wierdo:

Mr.Air Brush Custom 0.18mm.

i think performances will be close to the Iwata CM-B (0.18 nozzle).

What is the difference between the Mr. Hobby Procon Boy series and the Mr. Air Brush series, other than the price? Both come from the same factory in Japan, but Mr. Hobby seems to be a lot cheaper. For example, the Procon Boy WA Double Action PLATINUM is priced at only $110 which is less than half of the Mr. Air Brush Custom.

10033365b.jpg

Edited by Kei Lau
It does look like a good airbrush.

But what about spare parts? (Needle,nozzles etc).

If it follows the Micron design, Olympos or Iwata parts should work.

Or you could order the spares from Japan. I´ve ordered spares for my PS-275 from Rainbow 10.

Gunze airbrushes are usually very nice. At prices a lot lower than Olympos or Iwata, they are very close in quality. And I´ve never tried one that didn´t spray great.

What is the difference between the Mr. Hobby Procon Boy series and the Mr. Air Brush series, other than the price? Both come from the same factory in Japan, but Mr. Hobby seems to be a lot cheaper. For example, the Procon Boy WA Double Action PLATINUM is priced at only $110 which is less than half of the Mr. Air Brush Custom.

there is some technical differences between "procon boy" and Mr Air Custom (mainly the same differences between une IWATA HP SERIES and an Iwata "Micron" series)

Nozzle/needle :

-0.2 or 0.3--> procon boy (PS269, PS270 etc...)

-0.18 --> PS770

-I think the nozzle is made with better alloy, and the needle is highly polished to improve the paintflow

But you have to try to really anderstand.

It does look like a good airbrush.

But what about spare parts? (Needle,nozzles etc).

Iwata parts match perfectly! The needle is a little bit shorter, but it works

The important difference is the head system. The Microns have the complete front as a removable unit, and the head has its own air chamber. It makes for very smooth, even airflow, and all Microns atomize paint very well.

Other than that, Microns usually have very good polishing, and a smoothness not common in other airbrushes.

The important difference is the head system. The Microns have the complete front as a removable unit, and the head has its own air chamber.

the procon boy platinum 0.3 ver2, and the procon boy platinum 0.2 have also a removable head, I try to take in place an Iwata Micron Head and it works.

Edited by ALPH
the procon boy platinum 0.3 ver2, and the procon boy platinum 0.2 have also a removable head, y try to take in place an Iwata Micron Head and it works.

Very interesting! I´ve been thinking of doing some conversion of a Micron head to 0.3mm to fit in my Olympos, but this might be a even better way. I will probably get a Platinium just to try it out. :bandhead2:

there is some technical differences between "procon boy" and Mr Air Custom

Nozzle/needle :

-0.2 or 0.3--> procon boy (PS269, PS270 etc...)

-0.18 --> PS770

-I think the nozzle is made with better alloy, and the needle is highly polished to improve the paintflow

But you have to try to really anderstand.

Are they really different? Can you be more specific?

A 10% difference in needle diameter (0.18 vs. 0.2 mm) is not that big a deal. I expect all needles to be polished to some degree. How are the polish different to make a 2 to 1 in price? What alloy do they use?

No, I don't have the fund to try both airbrush. Can the difference be described in technical terms for the user to understand before they buy?

Are they really different? Can you be more specific?

A 10% difference in needle diameter (0.18 vs. 0.2 mm) is not that big a deal. I expect all needles to be polished to some degree. How are the polish different to make a 2 to 1 in price? What alloy do they use?

No, I don't have the fund to try both airbrush. Can the difference be described in technical terms for the user to understand before they buy?

The 0.02mm difference between the 0.18mm Microns and the 0.2mm in other series airbrushes doesn´t make any difference. I even have older Olympos spare heads that are marked 0.2mm. My guess is that the 0.18 name is mostly there for separating it and its parts from other "0.2mm" nozzled airbrushes. A bit like the fact that similar bullet diameter cartridges gets different names. (.38 vs .357)

The difference between a Micron and a fixed nozzle airbrush like the HP-series airbrushes are mainly in the head unit and the overall quality of the Microns. In all Microns I´ve tried, and I have owned quite a lot of them, the actions is extremly smooth (after some use), but still with very tight tolerances. My guess is that the high price has a lot to do with the tolerances. They always feels solid, even when getting older.

Another reason for the high pricing of the Microns was probably that the original Micron line from Olympos came with two complete head setups. When Iwata started to make them, they kept the price, even if they didn´t supply the extra head unit.

At the moment I can´t check the PS-269, since I sold it to a friend. It was a very nice airbrush, though. In some ways better than the Iwata HP-CH. I liked the angled airvalve. Makes for good grip.

Just for curiosity:

In Europe there is a shop that sell this new Airbrush?

Until now I see the new airbrush sold only in Japan.

I don´t think so. I´ve tried to find them here, but nobody seem to have them. But you can always buy them from luckymodel.com. I´ve bought all my GSI´s from them.

I'm still trying to figure out how a Micron would be a step up from my Hi Line... :whistle:

Problem is that you won´t know until you try one. And when you do, you will either not find any real improvement, and it will feel like a waste of money, or, you will love it, and you will never be able to go back, which probably will cost you a fair chunk of money in the end....:cheers:

At the moment I have 12 airbrushes. Three of them are Microns. I use all three on regular basis. Of the other nine I use two quite often. One pistol trigger style airbrush for large areas, and a standard HP-style 0.3mm for metalics.

If I could match a 0.3 or 0.4mm nozzle to my Microns, I would probably not use the other ones at all.

On that note, are there any quantitative comparisons of the different models? I see a lot of "best", "I love", "don't use anything else", etc qualitative statements, but how is a hairline from a micron better than a hairline from a revolution or hi-line? I'm throwing out Iwata models, but you could also include Grex, HS, Paasche, Badger, GSI, Aztec...OK, not Aztec, they suck :cheers:

Since the Hi lines and Microns in particular have the same form factor, a comparison of what they can physically do would be wonderful.

On that note, are there any quantitative comparisons of the different models? I see a lot of "best", "I love", "don't use anything else", etc qualitative statements, but how is a hairline from a micron better than a hairline from a revolution or hi-line? I'm throwing out Iwata models, but you could also include Grex, HS, Paasche, Badger, GSI, Aztec...OK, not Aztec, they suck :woot.gif:

Since the Hi lines and Microns in particular have the same form factor, a comparison of what they can physically do would be wonderful.

Hairline is hairline. Most brands have models in their line which can produce hairline. One of my other airbrushes, a Rich AB-100 is the one in my arsenal that makes the thinnest lines. It was also one of the cheapest (~$80). But it is completly worthless for large cover. It´s atomization of paint suffers somewhere, proabably because of the combination of small nozzle, and very long taper needle.

In general, H&S make very good airbrushes. But I really don´t like the triggers. In my opinion they have a sloppy and inconsistant feel. But they do perform good, and with the double needle setups, they cover most of your needs. It´s a matter of taste really.

Comparing the H&S´s to a Micron, I would say that they perform about the same, but the Micron has a broader spectrum with one needle setup. And the Micron atomizes better, in my opinion. And they feel a lot smoother and "solid". Especially the Olymposes. Think of the Microns as refined, tuned up Hi-Lines. They do anything the Hi-Lines do, and a bit better.

I really don´t find any of the older Paasches up to todays standards. They have rough, heavy feel to them. The Talon is supposed to be good, though. I´m sure you can tweak hairlines out of a Talon, or even an older Paasche. It´s all about experimenting.

I´ve had a lot of Badgers, but I just really don´t like them, except for the 200, which is a great airbrush, for being a single action. But, with todays prices, there´s really no reason for buying a SA, when you can find quality double actions at the same price. The Patriot might be a good airbrush, but I´ve not tested it, and as far as I know, its very much a gravity fed 155. And that one, I didn´t like. Same goes for the new Velocity. Maybe it´s a great airbrush, but as I understand it, much of the important parts, as needle and nozzle setup are inherited from the Sotar, and that one I hated. Close to Aztek....

Hairlines. Probably, but not as easy done as with the Microns or H&S, except for the Velocity.

GSI, Richpen, Rich, Tamiya and so on are all great performing airbrushes. Probably some of them are made by BB Rich or Fuso Seiko, and just rebranded to the disributers choice. All the japanese made airbrushes I´ve tried are made to a high quality. All of them are able to produce hairline with the right paint, thinner and airpressure. But as with most mid end airbrushes, you buy either a detail brush, or a general purpose. Modellers are probably best of with a general purpose, since the detailing might not be that a large portion of the average work.

I sell Grex in my store. They are great performers, and have a better chrome finish than anything else I´ve encountered. Especially on the inside. I really like them, but I´m biased. :)

They do what you want, and they are easy to clean. For the average modeller, they fit the bill.

• 7 months later...

any proof that these GSI 'micron" are equal to the Iwata CM or olympos SP-C?

I own both CM-C plus and HP-CH and there 's a fine difference, probably due to the accuracy of atomization, the lines out of CM-C are much cleaner with the same paint mixtures.

I suppose this is due to the matched head assembly, better calibrated, and maybe its needle is better grounded.

The CM-C plus doesn't share needle with HP-CH even-though they looked alike, different pulls.

I have the PS-270, bought this when it first came out, and truth be told, it was not that good. Requires quite a bit of cleaning and the adjustment for air was annoying to re-dial in after every cleaning (even more so than the CM-C). It's cheap, but spare parts are also difficult to get around this part of the world, even more difficult than olympos.