Pealing paint?

Hey Guys,

I am currently working on a 1/48 Hasegawa F-4G, (SEA scheme). I am using Testors Acryl paints.

First, I sprayed the Tan & two greens as well as the camo gray on the bottom. Clear coated the entire model. I let it dry for about a week. I then masked off the NM area around the stabs, sprayed that, and when I removed the Tamiya tape, it pealed off alot of the camoflage colors :woot.gif: .....????

Any suggestions on how to avoid this in the future??

Thanks for your help.

Chris

To insure bond with any acrylic paint, the plastic surface must be CLEAN. That means completely free of skin oil, mold release agents, or anything else that might interfere. Clean the surface with a surfactant cleaner like Formula 409, or a detergent cleaner like Simple Green. Rinse in distilled water. Wipe with denatured, ethyl, or 90% isopropyl alcohol. Allow to dry. Paint.

Testors Acryl paints are well known for poorer adhesion. With them, the above process is vital

Or you can use a solvent based primer, eliminating the major advantages of an acrylic system.

AHH! I did clean the kit with a mild dish soap (Dawn, I think). Would that be sufficient? I didn't prime the kit. So that's probably were I went wrong then.

Thanks guys. Many thanks!!

Chris

I don't recommend dish soaps for cleaning before painting. Many contain "emolients" or oils that are intended to protect skin from the defatting effects of the detergent. Use 409 or Simple Green.

When I prime, I use either a Tamiya or Polly Scale gray acrylic. No adhesion problems. Ever.

Clean really is the key - I use acrylics to avoid the use of solvent paints and thinners so applying a primer coat of lacquer or enamel for me is counter-productive. A thorough wash with dish washing soap (such as Dawn) has always worked for me. While I have never been a user of MM acrylics other than an occasional case where MM had the color and no one else handy did, the only times I have experienced paint lift was using a way too sticky (adhesive) tape.

On a side note, trumpets peal, paint peels ;)

"On a side note, trumpets peal, paint peels :cheers: "

Funny!! :doh: I thought it was wrong!!! I wasn't sure of the spelling....thanks for the lesson!!

Chris

Clean really is the key - I use acrylics to avoid the use of solvent paints and thinners so applying a primer coat of lacquer or enamel for me is counter-productive. A thorough wash with dish washing soap (such as Dawn) has always worked for me. While I have never been a user of MM acrylics other than an occasional case where MM had the color and no one else handy did, the only times I have experienced paint lift was using a way too sticky (adhesive) tape.

On a side note, trumpets peal, paint peels ;)

I had the same luck with Testors Acryl paints and my model was super clean, had primer and a coat of Future, but it still peeled with masking tape. My only advice is to throw them in the garbage. Sorry :thumbsup:

That's strange... I've been using mostly MM acrylics for the past 4 years and NEVER EVER had any peeling problems. I clean the plastic parts with warm water mixed with dish soap (palmolive).

Oh! and I mainly brush-paint... maybe brushing the paint makes a good adhesion... :lol:

That's strange... I've been using mostly MM acrylics for the past 4 years and NEVER EVER had any peeling problems. I clean the plastic parts with warm water mixed with dish soap (palmolive).

Oh! and I mainly brush-paint... maybe brushing the paint makes a good adhesion... :whistle:

As I think I said: Y.M.M.V. However, brush painting actually can improve paint adhesion. And Palmolive has less unnecessary "stuff" in it than most. That's why we use it on dishes.

We also use Simple Green for pots and pans and difficult dish cleaning. In addtion to being a tremendous grease and oil cutter, it rinses away better than any other cleaning product that requires rinsing.

I feel your frustration! I've decided to switch to Lifecolor. I got them from Spruebrothers. How do you guys rate Lifecolor?

Chris

I'm sorta liking Lifecolor (Vallejo). Their eyedropper bottles work perfect for putting drops into my airbrush cup. They seem to have a nice selection of matched colors. I'm still getting the hang of thinning them and airbrushing but there will be a learning curve with any new paint.

I also just tried their Panzer Aces Dark Rubber for my aircraift tires and it brushes like a dream.