F-15E Strike Eagle

i have the academy offering in the stash and i like the look of the kit and what you get inside the box and great value for money.

would like to do it soon, if you decide to do the academy kit, let me know and keep me upto date with the build, i would like to know how it goes.

:D

:D No Brainer Buy The Revell. Try To Get the Coupons From Micheals Online The 50% One.

Thats pretty much the deal breaker right there.

Can never have enough Eagles. When in doubt build both.

Last time I was in Hobby Lobby they had the new Academy kit and I had a 40% discount coupon, but I didn't get it. I have about 10 different F-15 in my stash and couldn't justify any more.

:thumbsup:

Anyone know how to secure a Slam-Eagle decal spread?

Last time I was in Hobby Lobby they had the new Academy kit and I had a 40% discount coupon, but I didn't get it. I have about 10 different F-15 in my stash and couldn't justify any more.

Really wish we had a hobby lobby around here. I would kill for a deal like that.

If you would scroll down to his reply on which kit it is he states it's the newer kit because it has two nozzle sets in it.

It is the old kit. It had 2 types of nozzles too. One feathered and one featherless. The new kit also doesn't have MERs, Mk 82s and CBU-87s which he is using.

Mark

That looks like a build of the older F-15E kit, not the one that just came out.

I agree. He states that the decals had a Nellis bird on them, the new kit has markings for SJ birds.

Also, I believe that the old kit did not come with full armament.

If you would scroll down to his reply on which kit it is he states it's the newer kit because it has two nozzle sets in it.

He should give the kit # in his description, then there would be no doubt.

Mark

The Revell F-15 is a gem! One of the best kits out there because it is easy to build, it is great in terms of detail and you can pick it up for a song. Buuuuuut it comes with no ordinance, and to be a modern eagle it requires some simple modifications. The Academy eagle is cool too, and the new one comes with great stores, a Sniper pod and a photo etch sprue! But it is more expensive. It depends on what you want. Do you want a fully loaded mudhen? It might be cheaper to go Academy in the end. The Revell is the better kit, but Academy puts in a good effort with all the extras.

I might just bite the bullet and get both. One is for my neighbor. He was the crewchief for 89-0476 "Creeping Death" featured on an OOP Cutting Edge sheet for the 4th at SJ. He did the noseart on his plane. Wants a model for his mancave.

Mark

I might just bite the bullet and get both. One is for my neighbor. He was the crewchief for 89-0476 "Creeping Death" featured on an OOP Cutting Edge sheet for the 4th at SJ. He did the noseart on his plane. Wants a model for his mancave.

Mark

Yeah I would do that. Take the Academy's ordinance and keep it for the Revell. All being said you can't go wrong with either. Its a model, just have fun making it!

I don't know how much is the new Acad's 15E overseas, but here, it's sold around $25, for me $25 meaning premium quality decal printed by cartograf, and a lot of brand new types of weapons including Sniper XR, that's pretty worth it, so I took it. I don't care about how accurate is the body, I just want my Revell eagle can have the better decal and weapons...

So... if you just want to get ONE, then go with Revell...

I am just about to decal the R/M kit and I have the Academy ones (looking forward to the Ra'am next year). The R/M builds up very nicely - the biggest differance between the two seems to be the wing. Acad uses a single piece wing and R/M has about half the wing molded with the upper fuselage. In both of my recent builds I messed up one of the joins on the wing, just in differant places, the Academy Baz (original release) I messed up the right wing to fuselage join and the R/M Beagle I messed up the outer left wing to upper fuselage join. Not bad in either case but noticible to my eyes.

The new kits (SLAM Eagel and Strike Eagle) have enhanced molding, look at the thread about Academy vs Hasegawa kits here http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=195620

The new Academy moldings have enhanced the molding such as the vents that now look like the Hase and R/M ones. Now the accuracy guys hate the Academy engine bulges as being too pronounced. Now until the above thread I had no idea what they were talking about. Now I know, and really I don't mind the 'error', but look at the thread in case you wondered what the fuss is about.

The R/M doesn't have much in the way of weaponry, the Promodeler is the only one to have anything other then 4 'winders and drop tanks. Academy has a slew of them and nicely done, GBU-12s, JDAMs, AMRAAMS, AIM-9Xs, and even the SLAM and data link pod are in the F-15E. Also in the Academy are the new antenna fit (GPS dome and assorted undernose ones).

If you have one of the original releases of the Academy kit only a couple of sprues do not appear to be revised, one is the exhaust sprue, the one with the nose parts, and the one with the ORIGINAL cockpit bits (the new release has new instrument panels on the new sprues). So you get many parts listed 'not to use' - including fighter main gear bay doors, hints to a fighter C/D to come.

So both are great kits and any mistakes or errors will be the ones the builder brings to it, other than the 'humps' - if that matters to you. The R/M is a great build of an early Strike Eagle circa Desert Storm, and the Academy is a great looking build of a Iraqi Freedom era bird. So it comes down to a rough parity - which era do you want to build, and how important are weapons being included. The R/M is less expensive, but add in weaponry - if you need to and don't have a spares box, or a Kinetic Viper lying around, and the cost pretty much averages out with the Academy kit. The Academy kit is around $40 more or less and for a pretty much new tooled kit is still a pretty good buy compared to the Chinese companies.

Matt