Scratchbuilding a 1/32 1927 Ford AT-4 Trimotor

Speechless!! This is an utterly outstanding build!

Im so glad to hear you're sticking with a pristine polished and wheeled bird, She's going to be stunning!

Denzil

I bet the poop falls to the ground along with the pee. Trains of that time used to dump on the tracks I don't see why the logic would be different. On older C-130's the pee streams freely out the bottom. There is a small tube on each side of the plane with vanes to atomize the urine. the toilet may also be like the older Herks. We have a "honey bucket" its like something you may take camping.. A bucket with a seat and a bag inside.

Oh and I envy your skills!!! :monkeydance: Looking forward to more! Don't make your fans wait!!!

Curt

Hi there Mr. OM. Glad you found the thread and are following along.

I must confess amazement you decided against the float incarnation, as when I saw that picture my initial response was 'of course, it turns out to be a float-plane after all...."

If the restored airplane was on floats it would be a no brainer, but it's just too attractive with it's polished skin and dark blue trim to pass up. I thought about it long and hard though before I made up my mind...lol

Hiya Denzel

Im so glad to hear you're sticking with a pristine polished and wheeled bird, She's going to be stunning!

Thank you for reinforcing my decision. As I told OM, I thought about it for over a week before I decided to go this route. It's just too nice not to build. Thanks for following along.

I’ve had a fair amount of free time to get some modeling time in, so the last few days have been spent making some of the interior goodies.

Trimotor68a.jpg

In the cockpit there’s this splendid art-deco looking pedestal that contains the throttles, mag switches and mixture control levers. It very much resembles a ships binnacle in form if not function. Because of the shape of it, I made it from several different materials. The main pedestal is Evergreen square rod of .100 laminated together. I then sanded the angle to form the taper. To this, two Renshape bits were added to form the “pods†on either side, and a strip of .010 x .100 strip added for the face. The Renshape has to be filled and sanded smooth before I painted it, so several coats of Mr. Surfacer was applied and sanded between each coat till it was smooth. I then shot it with Mr. Surfacer white primer, followed by Alclad Duralumin, and, wouldn’t you know it, I managed to get yet another of the defective batch the refuses to dry. That’s it. I am done with Alclad. I have been burned more times than I care to count. Tony is great about replacing it, but it doesn’t account for the grief of having to deal with fixing it. I swiped a thinner soaked rag over it to remove as much as I could, then reshot it with plain old Aerogloss Silvair Aluminum dope. It dried hard as a rock within 5 minutes. Old School materials triumphs over new yet again. After it dried I punched out 3 brass disks from .010 brass, and added the three mag switches from brass wire. The throttle and mixture levers are bits of PE turnbuckles, trimmed to length and knobs added by alternately dipping into superglue, then accelerator, and repeating till the knob was of the desired diameter. The throttle base is a piece of half round plastic rod with razor saw slots, same with the mixture levers. Here’s a shot of the real deal to compare to. I think I got it pretty good.

1927_ford_trimotor_22_of_44.jpg

Trimotor66a.jpg

Here’s the second item I made…. the commode…lol. I had no idea how big to make this, so I took my tape measure and measured our commode at home (drawing a raised hairy eye-brow “WTH are you doing?†look from SWMBO) and made it to the general measurements of that. The base is Vacuformed over a carved Renshape master, the seat is a hunk of .040 plastic and the lid is a matching hunk of .015. There’s a strip of .005 on the front with rivets embossed for the splice. I think it’s safe to say this is probably the weirdest item I’ve ever made for an airplane before…lol.

Trimotor69a.jpg

Last but not least, the Instrument panel. The face is a piece of .010 plastic, with the holes punched out at measured intervals with a Waldron punch set. The instrument faces are Mike Grant’s wonderful items, mounted to a piece of .005 that is glued to the back of the main panel. The bezels are made from .003 copper wire that I wound around the same punch I used to make the holes, then superglued to the face and then painted. The backer was then glued to the face, and then Krystal Klear was dabbed into each instrument for the glass. The data plate is also from Mike’s sheet, and has a very close resemblance to the Ford plate on the actual aircraft.

Next up will be the control Columns and wheels, Seats, and Rudder bars and then I’ll start fabricating the interior structures and get ready to button everything together. Stay tuned, and thanks for following along.

Cheers

Mike

Trimotor66a.jpg

Here’s the second item I made…. the commode…lol. I had no idea how big to make this, so I took my tape measure and measured our commode at home (drawing a raised hairy eye-brow “WTH are you doing?†look from SWMBO) and made it to the general measurements of that. The base is Vacuformed over a carved Renshape master, the seat is a hunk of .040 plastic and the lid is a matching hunk of .015. There’s a strip of .005 on the front with rivets embossed for the splice. I think it’s safe to say this is probably the weirdest item I’ve ever made for an airplane before…lol.

Cheers

Mike

Some resin water and a few floating alligators would be awesome with that!! What, no TP? I thought this was a more civilized golden era? Maybe a pack of smokes, ashtray, and the Sears catalog to read too-

Really excellent stuff as always Mike!

Regards,

Pig

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann

Thanks for the comments everyone. Pete that's a good idea. I will Google a Life magazine cover image from 1927 and print it and put it in the Head. I've written to the owner of the real airplane asking for some info of that area, but as of yet I have not received a reply.

Lots of little fiddly bits go together to make a Circuit Breaker/Switch panel. I've also got the Instrument panel finished and installed, along with the Rudder Pedals and installed the Throttle Pedestal.

Trimotor71a.jpg

Trimotor70a.jpg

The switch panel is made up of a square hunk of Renshape that is covered with .010 sheet, and sanded smooth and the edges dressed so they are square and uniform. I then drilled 36 individual holes for the switches and circuit breakers, and made up the radio from various bits of plastic. The Circuit Breakers are .010 plastic rod inserted into the holes, and the switches are fine nickle wire also inserted in the holes, then bent forward uniformly into the Off position. The Rudder pedals are .020 brass wire soldered to shape, then CA'ed into place behind the panel.

Next will be the Control Columns and Wheels, then the seats. Once I have those made I'll install the aft bulkhead for the cockpit, then begin adding all the visible structure for the sidewalls.

Thanks for following along.

Cheers

Mike

On older C-130's the pee streams freely out the bottom. There is a small tube on each side of the plane with vanes to atomize the urine. the toilet may also be like the older Herks. We have a "honey bucket" its like something you may take camping.. A bucket with a seat and a bag inside.

Oh and I envy your skills!!! :cheers: Looking forward to more! Don't make your fans wait!!!

Curt

Gee man, i could live without knowing that....

Again...beautiful work!!! Between you and chukw, I am at a loss for words! It is the sharing your work that blows my mind. When I go to the shows, you are very lucky to find someone that will show how he did it, and you guys are just great! Thanks for giving us pee-ons such inspiration...

-Jim

Hi Mike,

This is such an entertaining thread :lol:

I look forward to every update and I'm never disappointed. The scratch building of the internals is outstanding. The breaker panel is so square and true, all of the switches and knobs lined up to perfection. Top job.

I also admire the IP and central console. Very natty. It looks exactly like the reference photo that you posted. I hope it will be seen once the windshield is in place.....

Lastly, what can I say? The commode is a touch of genius :lol: This is a first for me! I've never seen a scale toilet on any other build that I can think of. Where you lead, we will follow :thumbsup:

I'm keen to see how the corrugated interior looks with all of the doo-dads installed. please keep us posted.

:cheers:

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm glad you're enjoying the build so far, and the fact some of you are picking up tips and ideas makes it worthwhile for me to keep posting. If it wasn't for the tutelage of some old school modelers when I was a teenager, I'd probably have taken up knitting a long time ago.

This is a first for me! I've never seen a scale toilet on any other build that I can think of. Where you lead, we will follow

Glad to have you following Guy, just make sure your lead when aiming is good and you put the seat down when you're done... :)

Cockpit - Check. I can pretty much write this part off as finished. The Control columns are made and installed, along with the seats. The columns are made from .080 plastic evergreen and Contrail plastic tube, and telescoping tubing and .010 sheet was used to make the mounts. The Control wheels are made from .060 solder solder and plastic sheet for the spokes. Now that I look at them in the pictures I think they may be a bit too fat and I may make another set out of .040 solder instead. The control cables for the ailerons are also represented with silver metallic thread. The seats are made from .010 brass sheet, folded up and .040 plastic used for the seat and back cushions. These were painted dark blue for the upholstery as the real airplane are. I've installed the cockpit bulkhead also, and I've painted the main salon floor with dark blue in preparation to apply flocking for the carpet. A long straight pin was used to make the Johnson Bar for the brakes, with a blob of CA on the end for the knob. I have a few sundry items to make and install yet, namely the seat belts and mounts, but I need to get some 32nd scale seat belts before I can install them.

Trimotor73a.jpg

Trimotor72a.jpg

I'm kind of at a standstill for now until I get the PE artwork done and sent to Fred, but I can start the engines and outter nacelles while I wait for that to come back.

2009card.jpg

In the meantime I'd like to wish everyone at ARC a great and happy Holiday season, and best wishes for the upcoming New Year.

Cheers

Mike

...I think they may be a bit too fat and I may make another set out of .040 solder instead.

Hi Mike,

I think you would be doing the right thing there. Many times during a build I've let something small go, even though it bugged me a little at the time. Then everytime I see the kit, all I can think about is the stupid "thing" I should have corrected at the time!

The thickness of the wheel was the only minor thing that bugged me in the photo. Considering the quality of your build, it just looked a little out of place.

Although, I wish I could do have as well...

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Larry. Thanks for the comments.

I think you would be doing the right thing there. Many times during a build I've let something small go, even though it bugged me a little at the time. Then every time I see the kit, all I can think about is the stupid "thing" I should have corrected at the time!

You helped push me over the edge. My wife and I went away for a few days up to the Adirondack mountains and Lake Placid, and the whole time I was away all I could think of was these stupid control wheels and how much they bugged me..lol.

Trimotor75a.jpg

The last few days have been spent redoing two items - the control wheels and the seats. The wheels were too fat and klunky looking, so I made them from smaller diameter solder, and also added the crash pad that is on the real airplane. These I made form blue masking tape, hoping they might be close to the blue I used for the seats. Alas they are quite a bit lighter, but nothing a quick dab of paint won't fix. I made a pattern in my CAD program and traced it to the tape to keep them consistent, then cut them out with a new #11 blade and stuck them in place. A dab of CA on each wrap around the spokes will keep them secured.

Trimotor74a.jpg

The seats I also redid. I was very fortunate to get some more pictures of the actual aircraft from Greg Herrick, the owner. I made my first seats from the plans I have, but the pictures Greg sent me showed that they are a fully padded and upholstered seat, with a pedestal type of base as opposed to the full seat that my plans showed. A few days spent carving some scraps of Renshape gave me the basic shape, then thin thread was CA'ed along the top and seat to simulate the piping on the seams. They were then sprayed blue, and gloss was sprayed over the base portion. I reinstalled all of these, and then added the internal structure that is very pronounced in the pictures. These were replicated with bits of .040 square evergreen, painted then CA'ed in place.

I have all my PE artwork done and will send that off to Fred next week to get done. Until then I will spend some time on the engines and outter nacelles and struts. I have to devise a jig to hold the nacelle so I can cut my struts to length, and also to fabricate the landing gear. This is going to be a pretty heavy model so it'll have to be pretty strong to support the weight. Once I figure that out I'll post some shots later on.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Skyking

Man.....I'm speechless...... :trolls:

And not only duly impressed with your intestinal fortitude for tackling this project....but have picked up a new word to add to my vocabulary..."SQUIDGE".....

I do have ones question, which I hope won't reveal my ignorance......why vacuform the fuselage?.....why not use the same technique on it that you used on the rudder/elevator? Don't stop to answer this right now.....stay in course.....:doh:

This is amazing!!!!

Good to Go,

Jim

Hi Mike,

So,...like,....it's been almost 10 days man.........any updates for us? huh? I mean 10 whole days without an update ;) .....(tic.......twitch)....I can handle it :wacko: ..gotta stay cool......(gibber)...it's ok,.......no problem.......I don't need it really :woot.gif:....(blub,....sniff,...twitch)

;)

Seriously though, great stuff so far. The new and improved control wheels look much better.

I'm eager to see more from my favourite build thread.

:cheers: