Show question in general..Displaying models

I figured this was the best place for me to pose a question about showing models.

Does a model built as a display in flight have as good a chance to place as one built and displayed gear down sitting on a table? Does a 1/48 jet inflight compete with the same jet sitting on a table or is it a different category?

Edited by Rhinolover

I can't see how. Seems the trend is to pose jets with ordnance AND every door open so it looks like it is going through phase or depot MX fully armed.

How can a simply well built jet in flight compete with that?

Theoretically it shouldn't make any difference. That's why the judging criteria stesses basic building skills..fit, finish & alignment..over the "wow" factor. The more detail you add, and the more panels you open up, the more chance there is to screw something up.

SN

â€theoretically" is the problem in any subjective evaluation. Construction and painting skills being equal, an opened AC has "more" well done stuff than a perfectly well done buttoned up AC. As a judge myself, there were more than a few times where equal quality between two competitors was decided by perceived level of effort.

Back to the OP's question, I don't believe there is an explicit distinction between gear up and gear down in the categories. This doesn't mean the show organizers can't break out the two if there are enough entries to justify a split (just like WWII props may be subdivided into categories).

My beef is in the accuracy dept, which isn't supposed to be a criteria. Last time I checked, heavy AC maintenance is generally not performed on fully armed AC (especially USN). But we've all seen fully armed jets with every dang panel, including engine and radar panels open. Looks cool, shows off all that great detail, but is just as silly as putting Jolly Rogers decals on a F-86.

yeah, you should only put Jolly Roger on the Academy F-86E built OOB,,,,lol

okay, I'll be good

there are some pretty good looking builds magazines with jets in flight using Acrylic rods,,,do some "flames" part way down the rods from the exhaust,,,,they look pretty good,,,,,give you a good reason to load up on ordnance without worrying about RBF flags too